Does a wing fly in its own downwash?

• Thread starter user079622
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airflow
user079622
Does wing really fly in already downward moving air?

Video from 18:15 - 19:40

pbAHA.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not an expert in aerodynamics, but here is my two cents:
The wing is disturbing the horizontal air flow so that the air ahead of it is going up and the air behind it is going down. So it is "in" (as in producing) both an updraft and a downdraft that it is in the middle of. Because it is producing these effects, this should not be considered the same as a wing in the downwash of another airplane. Confusing that would be like confusing cause and effect.

Likes russ_watters and user079622
What @boneh3ad tell about this?

boneh3ad said:
I don't understand the question.
If wing fly in own downwash, that would mean air ahead of the wing already moving downward.
Author in my video tell that in 18:47
So I ask is this case in reality?

Last edited:
I mean, his crudely-drawn hand sketch is not precise, if that's what you are asking.

But any object moving through a fluid medium is going to cause that fluid to deform around it. If it's subsonic, that influence on the medium extends upstream of the object. So, sure, some of that induced flow over a finite wing is downward, reducing lift.

Why are you asking me, though? Do you have reason to doubt Dr. Lippisch an his long career designing and building aircraft that actually fly?

boneh3ad said:
So, sure, some of that induced flow over a finite wing is downward, reducing lift.

Why are you asking me, though?
Because I see upward movement of air ahead of wing...not downward..
1702412413920.jpeg

Likes FactChecker
user079622 said:
Because I see upward movement of air ahead of wing...not downward..
View attachment 337150
That's an airfoil, not a wing. It's 2-dimensional. The downwash is a 3-D wing effect that doesn't occur in this 2-D case.

russ_watters said:
That's an airfoil, not a wing. It's 2-dimensional. The downwash is a 3-D wing effect that doesn't occur in this 2-D case.
OK just reduce this upwash a little but and you get picture for wing.
Or you want to say that air moves downward ahead of wing ?

russ_watters said:
user079622 said:
The image in your OP shows wingtip vortices. Is that what you are asking about? In 2-D you don't have any beginning or end of your wing.

Likes russ_watters
user079622 said:
The flow isn't uniform across the span, so I'd say there's no general answer for the question. I suspect there is upwards flow in front of parts of the wing and downwards flow in front of other parts. But I don't think I've seen a 3D representation of the flow field.

By the way this CFD is made on wing , it show airfoil because show streamlines at one place at wing ..it show wing profile at that location

Likes FactChecker
The net downward flow of the air is the cause of lift. But that is primarily aft of the wing. The wing is the cause of the downflow and does not have the same effect of a wing in a downflow from following another airplane. So not all downflows are the same.

FactChecker said:
The net downward flow of the air is the cause of lift. But that is primarily aft of the wing. The wing is the cause of the downflow and does not have the same effect of a wing in a downflow from following another airplane. So not all downflows are the same.
This is upwash ahead of wing for different aspect ratios.
1zxP0.jpg
russ_watters said:
That's an airfoil, not a wing.

This CFD is made on wing , it show airfoil because show streamlines at one place at wing ..it show wing profile at that location
1702412413920-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
If 'downwash' concept was strictly true, wouldn't aircraft with winglets / tip vortex recovery devices be unable to fly ??

Given they fly better than without, there's an over-simplification some-where in OC's source...

Likes FactChecker
What I got from the video is that an aircraft flying through the air is like a person jogging in sand. The air and the sand both deform when weight is applied and you have to perform extra work to account for this. For the aircraft, this may already be shown in the airflow diagrams provided, but I doubt that's something that can be 'eyeballed' from them.

1. What is downwash in the context of an aircraft wing?

Downwash refers to the downward deflection of air that occurs as a wing generates lift. When a wing pushes air downwards, the reaction forces from the air push the wing upwards, which is what we recognize as lift. The air that is pushed downwards behind the wing is known as downwash.

2. Does a wing fly in its own downwash?

No, a wing does not fly in its own downwash. The wing itself generates downwash behind it as a result of the lift production, but the wing operates in the airflow that is coming towards it, which is not yet affected by the downwash. The downwash effect is observed behind the wing, influencing the airflow around the tail of the aircraft more than the wing itself.

3. How does downwash affect the overall performance of an aircraft?

Downwash can affect the performance of an aircraft in several ways. Primarily, it can influence the efficiency of the lift generated by the wing and the stability of the aircraft. Downwash flowing over the tail surfaces can reduce the effectiveness of these surfaces, requiring adjustments in aircraft design or control inputs to maintain stability and control. Additionally, increased downwash can lead to greater induced drag, which can reduce the overall aerodynamic efficiency of the aircraft.

4. Can downwash be beneficial in any way?

While downwash is generally associated with negative effects like increased drag, it can have beneficial aspects as well. For example, in certain aircraft configurations, such as biplanes or triplanes, the downwash from an upper wing can positively influence the airflow over a lower wing, potentially enhancing lift. Moreover, in formations like those used by migrating birds or military aircraft, downwash can be exploited to reduce the drag on trailing aircraft or birds, improving the overall efficiency of the group.

5. Are there any techniques used to minimize the negative effects of downwash?

Yes, aircraft designers use several techniques to minimize the negative effects of downwash. One common approach is the design of winglets at the tips of the wings, which can help to reduce the vortex strength and thereby decrease the downwash and associated induced drag. Another approach is optimizing the tail design and placement relative to the wing to ensure that the tail operates in cleaner, less disturbed air, thus maintaining control effectiveness and reducing drag.