Seeing if something is Dimensionally correct.

• Thread starter Sirsh
  • Start date
In summary, the equation Vt = (2mg/pA)1/2 represents the terminal velocity in terms of mass, gravity, fluid density, and area. In order for the equation to be dimensionally correct, the units on both sides must be the same. However, in the given working, the units of kilograms are not cancelled out, resulting in an incorrect final equation. It is important to note that in dimensional analysis, the coefficient does not matter and is not involved in the calculation.
Sirsh
Vt = (2mg/pA)1/2

where:
Vt = Terminal Velocity (ms-1) as velocity = s/t = m/s(seconds, not distance).
m = mass in kg.
g = gravity in ms-2.
p = fluid density in kgm-3
A = Area in m2

Show that equation is dimesionally correct.

I seem to get my answer wrong on the end product; ill show my working up too where I've got my answer incorrect.

Vt = (2mg/pA)1/2

m/s = (2(kg)(m/s2)/(kg/m3)(m2))1/2

(m/s)2 = (2(kg)(m/s2)/(kg/m3)(m2))

(m/s)2 = (2(kg)(m4)/((kg)(s2)(m2))

(m2/s2) = ((kg)(m2))/(s2)

As you can see the equation is quite simplified at this point, with the only problem being that both left and right sides do not equal, which shows that the equation is not dimensionally correct, i am unsure though how to get rid of this unit of kg in my equation though. can anyone help me out on this one, thanks alot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why didn't you cancel out the kilograms at any point? From the get go, it cancels out.

If i cancle the kg out, then i am stuck with a '2' in the final equation instead of a kg unit. because if i try cancle the 2 out by halving that side, then the other side (left hand side) gets 2 in the denominator :/

I'm not completely sure about this, but does the "2" even matter in dimensional analysis? I believe dimensional analysis is just to check the units. The coefficient isn't involved or checked.

Good point! ill check that up!

1. How do you determine if something is dimensionally correct?

In order to determine if something is dimensionally correct, you need to compare its dimensions to a known standard. This can be done by measuring the length, width, and height of the object and comparing it to the expected dimensions. If they match, then the object is considered to be dimensionally correct.

2. What is the importance of checking for dimensional correctness?

Ensuring dimensional correctness is important because it ensures that an object or product will function properly and fit within its intended space. It also helps to avoid errors and inconsistencies in design and manufacturing.

3. What tools are commonly used for checking dimensional correctness?

Commonly used tools for checking dimensional correctness include rulers, calipers, micrometers, and laser measuring devices. These tools provide accurate and precise measurements for comparison.

4. Can dimensional correctness be affected by environmental factors?

Yes, environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can affect the dimensions of an object. It is important to take these factors into account when checking for dimensional correctness.

5. Are there any industry standards for dimensional correctness?

Yes, there are industry standards for dimensional correctness that vary depending on the type of object or product being measured. These standards ensure consistency and accuracy in dimensions across different industries and applications.