The Invisible Beauty of Evening Primrose

In summary: I used to do a little bit of UV photography, and it's interesting to see the contrast between what the human eye sees and what the camera can detect. You can't just stick color filters in front of a camera to see UV (although you can with IR).I'm guessing the "sensors" ZapperZ is talking about are digital cameras. Some sensor chips are sensitive to a wider range of frequencies than others (because they don't have the usual filters in front of the pixels), but I don't think any are sensitive to UV.The UV pictures I've taken are black and white, and a lot of the IR pictures I've seen are, too. If you put color in there, it's because you're f
AryaUnderfoot
I understand that the wavelength of UV is too short to be absorbed by our cone cells, but I've came across 2 photos of evening primrose, which to our eyes are a dull yellow, but to insects (can see the UV light), it has a special pattern. My question is, I thought we're not able to see it. but how can we know it's it from the photo

Physics news on Phys.org
AryaUnderfoot said:
I understand that the wavelength of UV is too short to be absorbed by our cone cells, but I've came across 2 photos of evening primrose, which to our eyes are a dull yellow, but to insects (can see the UV light), it has a special pattern. My question is, I thought we're not able to see it. but how can we know it's it from the photo

You want us to explain what you see in the photo without us actually seeing the photo?

You might want to re-read your post again, because I don't quite understand what you're asking.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You want us to explain what you see in the photo without us actually seeing the photo?

You might want to re-read your post again, because I don't quite understand what you're asking.

Zz.
Umm, my English is not good..but I'll try. So there were 2 photos of the same evening primrose. One showed it as the way we normal human will see it--yellow and without pattern; the other one showed it as the way bees see it--with special pattern. It is known that bees can see into UV range while human can't, so we shouldn't be able to see that pattern--it was not meant for us. My question is, how come we can see it from the photo? I mean, like for a color-blind person, they cannot see color even though we present them with colored photograph.

AryaUnderfoot said:
Umm, my English is not good..but I'll try. So there were 2 photos of the same evening primrose. One showed it as the way we normal human will see it--yellow and without pattern; the other one showed it as the way bees see it--with special pattern. It is known that bees can see into UV range while human can't, so we shouldn't be able to see that pattern--it was not meant for us. My question is, how come we can see it from the photo? I mean, like for a color-blind person, they cannot see color even though we present them with colored photograph.

You DO know that (i) we have sensors that can detect UV light, or sensors that have a wider range than our eyes; and (ii) these sensors can then "translate" these varying frequencies into color scales that we can see?

I mean, what do you think is happening in infrared goggles that allows us to see at night?

Zz.

Likes AryaUnderfoot
ZapperZ said:
You DO know that (i) we have sensors that can detect UV light, or sensors that have a wider range than our eyes; and (ii) these sensors can then "translate" these varying frequencies into color scales that we can see?

I mean, what do you think is happening in infrared goggles that allows us to see at night?

Zz.
Ahh I never knew! What does this sensor call? I tried to google it but I can't find its principle. I'm interested to know if we can (or already did?) fit that in the fluorescent or uv microscope to observe the patterns that are normally invisible to us.

AryaUnderfoot said:
Ahh I never knew! What does this sensor call? I tried to google it but I can't find its principle. I'm interested to know if we can (or already did?) fit that in the fluorescent or uv microscope to observe the patterns that are normally invisible to us.
http://www.hamamatsu.com/jp/en/4005.html

AryaUnderfoot said:
I understand that the wavelength of UV is too short to be absorbed by our cone cells,

Not exactly- UV light is absorbed by other parts of your eye, depending on the wavelength. Don't look at UV sources, you will damage your eyes.

AryaUnderfoot said:
but I've came across 2 photos of evening primrose, which to our eyes are a dull yellow, but to insects (can see the UV light), it has a special pattern. My question is, I thought we're not able to see it. but how can we know it's it from the photo

There's a guy who does really nice UV and IR photography:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

He explains a bit about assigning color to the UV and IR, but since those parts of the spectrum have no color (because of the way 'color' is defined), it's easy to assign false colors or some other palette as you see fit.

Likes berkeman and sophiecentaur
Andy Resnick said:
There's a guy who does really nice UV and IR photography:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

He explains a bit about assigning color to the UV and IR,...

Nice pictures, but his website palette makes me want to see less colors, not more.

1. What is the scientific name of Evening Primrose?

The scientific name for Evening Primrose is Oenothera biennis.

2. Why is Evening Primrose considered "invisible"?

Evening Primrose is considered "invisible" because its flowers bloom at night and close during the day, making it less noticeable to the human eye.

3. What are the health benefits of Evening Primrose?

Evening Primrose contains essential fatty acids that have been linked to improving skin health and reducing inflammation. It has also been used to treat symptoms of menopause and premenstrual syndrome.

4. Where is Evening Primrose commonly found?

Evening Primrose is a native plant to North America and can be found in various regions, such as fields, meadows, and along roadsides.

5. How is Evening Primrose used in scientific research?

Evening Primrose is used in scientific research to study its medicinal properties and potential uses in treating various health conditions. It is also studied for its role in pollinator and ecosystem interactions.