Seeking Text Book for High Pressure Design

In summary, the speaker is discussing their plans to build small optical cells that will contain liquids at high pressures and have threaded portholes for sapphire windows. They have experience in building these cells and will consult with a Mechanical Engineer for final designs, but they also want to do some initial calculations themselves. They have a background in physics and calculus and are looking for a practical handbook or textbook on vessels like this. The other speaker suggests using 6000 lb pressure class threads and fittings and referencing piping codes for wall thickness calculations. The speaker thanks them for their help and is looking into the mentioned references.
fsonnichsen
I am building some small optical cells that will be about the size of a flashlight. They will contain liquids at up to 6000 psi and and have threaded portholes bored in them for inserting sapphire optical windows.

I have built these in the past and I will contract one of our Mechanical Engineers here to finalize the designs with FEA but I would like to do some initial calculations myself concerning wall thickness and threading of the ports.

I have a reasonable background in physics, calculus etc and have perused a few texts with the theory, but I am seeking a handbook/textbook that would discuss a vessel like this on more practical terms, perhaps with tables etc.

Any help appreciated
Thanks,
Fritz

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would first ensure they are using 6000 lb pressure class threads and fittings. These are literally rated to 6000 psig up to 100 degF.

The piping codes ASME B31.1 and B31.3 provide detailed wall thickness formulas.

For a back-of-the-envelope approximation, use the thin wall cylinder formula: t_wall = P r / S

where,

t_wall = required wall thickness

P = internal pressure

r = outside diameter of cylinder

S = allowable stress in material

Ok and thanks for your reply. I am tracking down some of the references that you mentioned
Fritz

1. What is the purpose of a text book on high pressure design?

A text book on high pressure design is meant to provide a comprehensive guide to understanding the principles and techniques involved in designing structures, systems, and materials that can withstand high levels of pressure. It covers topics such as material selection, stress analysis, and safety considerations.

2. Who would benefit from reading a text book on high pressure design?

Engineers, researchers, and students in fields such as mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, and material science would benefit from reading a text book on high pressure design. It can also be useful for professionals in industries that deal with high pressure systems, such as oil and gas, chemical processing, and transportation.

3. What topics are typically covered in a text book on high pressure design?

A text book on high pressure design typically covers topics such as material selection, stress and strain analysis, failure theories, design codes and standards, and safety considerations. It may also include case studies and real-world examples to illustrate the concepts and principles discussed.

4. Are there any specific design codes and standards that are covered in a text book on high pressure design?

Yes, a text book on high pressure design may cover various design codes and standards such as ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, European Pressure Equipment Directive, and API standards. These codes and standards provide guidelines and regulations for designing and operating high pressure systems.

5. How can reading a text book on high pressure design benefit my career as a scientist?

Reading a text book on high pressure design can provide you with a strong foundation and understanding of the principles and techniques involved in designing for high pressure systems. This knowledge can be applied to various industries and can enhance your skills and expertise as a scientist, making you a valuable asset to companies and research institutions.