1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seemingly simple proof I can't seem to get

1. Mar 26, 2006 #1
    I have:

Ae^(iax)+Be^(ibx)=Ce^(icx)

I have to show a=b=c and A+B=C but I can't... i've tried some standard tricks like squaring both sides, taking the derivative, then playing around with the equations but I can't get anything to stick. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It has to be true for all x, right? What about your favorite value of x?

4. Mar 26, 2006 #3
    Yes, sorry, for all x... and I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by my favorite value of x (x=0?)

5. Mar 27, 2006 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There surely have to be some more restrictions than this, otherwise A+B=0=C, a=b=anything, and c is anything else not equal to a

6. Mar 27, 2006 #5
    Question word for word...

"Suppose Ae^(iax)+Be^(ibx)=Ce^(icx), for some nonzero constants A, B, C, a, b, c, and for all x. Prove that a=b=c and A+B=C"

Any ideas?

7. Mar 27, 2006 #6
    The Euler Formula expansion is key.

8. Mar 27, 2006 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No it's not. You just have to use the fact it's true for all x.

The equation is true for x=0, right? What does the equation look like when x=0?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  9. Mar 27, 2006 #8
    Nevermind then... I was thinking if it had to be true for any given constant value of x that would be the way to go about it.

10. Mar 27, 2006 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, what do you mean by Euler's expansion? I was thinking e^(ix) = cos x + i sin x... though I don't remember if I've ever heard it named that.

If so, then this does give you a shortcut if you know the relevant theorems... but the same shortcut works directly for the problem at hand!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?