Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Seemingly simple proof I can't seem to get

1. Mar 26, 2006 #1
    I have:

Ae^(iax)+Be^(ibx)=Ce^(icx)

I have to show a=b=c and A+B=C but I can't... i've tried some standard tricks like squaring both sides, taking the derivative, then playing around with the equations but I can't get anything to stick. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It has to be true for all x, right? What about your favorite value of x?

4. Mar 26, 2006 #3
    Yes, sorry, for all x... and I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by my favorite value of x (x=0?)

5. Mar 27, 2006 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There surely have to be some more restrictions than this, otherwise A+B=0=C, a=b=anything, and c is anything else not equal to a

6. Mar 27, 2006 #5
    Question word for word...

"Suppose Ae^(iax)+Be^(ibx)=Ce^(icx), for some nonzero constants A, B, C, a, b, c, and for all x. Prove that a=b=c and A+B=C"

Any ideas?

7. Mar 27, 2006 #6
    The Euler Formula expansion is key.

8. Mar 27, 2006 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No it's not. You just have to use the fact it's true for all x.

The equation is true for x=0, right? What does the equation look like when x=0?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  9. Mar 27, 2006 #8
    Nevermind then... I was thinking if it had to be true for any given constant value of x that would be the way to go about it.

10. Mar 27, 2006 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, what do you mean by Euler's expansion? I was thinking e^(ix) = cos x + i sin x... though I don't remember if I've ever heard it named that.

If so, then this does give you a shortcut if you know the relevant theorems... but the same shortcut works directly for the problem at hand!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook