Selection of a compression spring

In summary, when selecting a compression spring, factors such as load requirements, space limitations, environmental conditions, and material selection should be taken into consideration. The correct size and wire diameter can be determined by calculating the required spring rate and maximum allowable stress. There is a difference between open-ended and closed-ended compression springs, with the latter providing more stability and resistance to buckling. Compression springs should only be used for compression applications, as extension applications require an extension spring. The longevity and durability of a compression spring can be ensured by choosing the right material, regularly inspecting and maintaining the spring, and properly installing and using it.
kalkyl
Summary:: What does I need to consider in order to get the right spring?

Hello. I need a compression spring that require 10 lbs of force in order to be compressed 1cm. The springs outer diameter (De) has to be 1cm. The spring will be made out of piano wire. Which values of specification does the spring need to have?

527570F6-8A37-4887-9024-6D8BF02673A4.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Stiffness would be the most important parameter, I'd say. By your sketch, Fn/(L0-Ln) should match your requirement of (10*0.454*9.81)/0.01m. (Here converted to N/m)

Last edited:

1. What factors should be considered when selecting a compression spring?

When selecting a compression spring, it is important to consider the load or weight the spring will be supporting, the required deflection or travel of the spring, the available space for the spring, the environment in which the spring will be used, and the desired lifespan of the spring.

2. How do I determine the appropriate wire size for a compression spring?

The appropriate wire size for a compression spring can be determined by considering the load and deflection requirements, as well as the material and type of spring. There are also online calculators and formulas available to help determine the appropriate wire size for a specific application.

3. What is the difference between open and closed ends on a compression spring?

Open ends on a compression spring allow for the coils to spread apart under load, while closed ends keep the coils in contact with each other. Open ends provide a lower solid height and a higher spring rate, while closed ends provide a more stable and predictable load distribution.

4. How do I know if I need a straight or conical compression spring?

A straight compression spring is best for applications with a constant load and deflection, while a conical spring is better for applications with varying loads and deflections. The choice between the two will depend on the specific requirements of the application.

5. Can I use a compression spring in a corrosive environment?

Yes, there are materials and coatings available that can make a compression spring suitable for use in a corrosive environment. Stainless steel, for example, is a commonly used material for springs in corrosive environments, and there are also specialized coatings that can be applied to protect the spring from corrosion.