1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Selection rule for electric dipole transitions in x direction

1. Dec 4, 2013 #1
    Hello,
    I have this matrix element

[itex]\langle n', l', m'| x |n, l, m \rangle[/itex]

where [itex]x=rsin\theta cos\phi[/itex] in spherical polars

Which I write explicitly as:

[itex]=\int \int \int R_{n', l'} R_{n, l} A_{l', m'} A_{l, m} P^{m'}_{l'} P^{m}_{l} e^{im\phi} e^{-im\phi} rsin\theta cos\phi r^{2} sin \theta d \theta d \phi dr[/itex]

[itex]=A_{l', m'} A_{l, m} \int dr R_{n', l'} r^{3} R_{n, l} \bullet \int d \theta sin^{2} \theta P^{m'}_{l'} P^{m}_{l} \bullet \int^{2\pi}_{0} e^{i\phi(m-m')} cos \phi d \phi[/itex]

The question just wants me to do the integral for the [itex]d \phi[/itex] bit then show that it is only non zero for [itex]m=m' \pm 1[/itex] hence [itex](m-m')= \pm 1[/itex]

So I let [itex]i(m-m')=a[/itex]

[itex]I=\int^{2\pi}_{0} e^{a\phi} cos \phi[/itex]

[itex]u=e^{a\phi}[/itex]
    [itex]du=a e^{a\phi}[/itex]
    [itex]dv=cos \phi[/itex]
    [itex]v=sin \phi[/itex]

[itex]I=sin \phi e^{a\phi}-a \int^{2\pi}_{0} sin \phi e^{a\phi}[/itex]

for the integral here I do the same again

[itex]u=e^{a\phi}[/itex]
    [itex]du=a e^{a\phi}[/itex]
    [itex]dv=sin \phi[/itex]
    [itex]v=-cos \phi[/itex]

[itex]I_{2}=-cos \phi e^{a\phi} +a \int^{2\pi}_{0} cos \phi e^{a\phi}[/itex]

So in total

[itex]\int^{2\pi}_{0} e^{a\phi} cos \phi=sin \phi e^{a\phi}+acos \phi e^{a\phi}-a^{2}\int^{2\pi}_{0} e^{a\phi} cos\phi[/itex]

Then I take the integral on the RHS over to the left, factor out the integral and divide through by [itex]1+a^{2}[/itex] giving:

[itex]\int^{2\pi}_{0} e^{a\phi}cos \phi=\frac{sin\phi e^{a\phi}+acos\phi e^{a\phi}}{1+a^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]= [\frac{sin\phi e^{i(m-m')\phi}+i(m-m')cos\phi e^{i(m-m')\phi}}{1-(m-m')^{2}}]^{2\pi}_{0}[/itex]

Is this integration ok? I kind of made it up as I went along as I wasn't sure how to integrate this function.
    Assuming it is could someone explain to me how it follows that it is only non zero if [itex]m=m' \pm 1[/itex]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, except when you substituted for ##a## in the denominator in the last step.

4. Dec 4, 2013 #3
    Thanks, I've fixed that in the original post

5. Dec 4, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, what do you get when m ≠ m' ±1 and what do you get when m = m' ±1?

6. Dec 4, 2013 #5
    I'm having trouble getting passed the fact that for [itex]m=m'\pm 1[/itex] the denominator will be zero
    e.g for [itex]m=m'+1[/itex]

[itex]= [\frac{sin\phi e^{i\phi}+icos\phi e^{i\phi}}{1-1}]^{2\pi}_{0}[/itex]

7. Dec 4, 2013 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right. For this case you will need to go back and substitute [itex]m=m'\pm 1[/itex] before evaluating the integral.

8. Dec 4, 2013 #7
    OK, I think I get this now, so for example for [itex](m-m')=+1[/itex]

[itex]\int^{2\pi}_{0} e^{i(m-m')\phi}cos\phi=\int^{2\pi}_{0} e^{i \phi}cos\phi[/itex]

[itex]=\int^{2\pi}_{0} e^{i \phi} \frac{e^{i\phi}+e^{-i\phi}}{2}[/itex]

[itex]=\frac{1}{2}\int^{2\pi}_{0}e^{2i\phi}+1[/itex]

[itex]=\frac{1}{2}[\frac{e^{2i\phi}}{2i}+\phi]^{2\pi}_{0}[/itex]

[itex]=\frac{1}{2}[\frac{cos(2\phi)+isin(2\phi)}{2i}+\phi]^{2\pi}_{0}[/itex]

[itex]=\frac{1}{2}[\frac{1}{2i}+2\pi-\frac{1}{2i}-0][/itex]

[itex]=\pi[/itex]

Similarly for the case when [itex](m-m')=-1[/itex]

[itex]\int^{2\pi}_{0} e^{i(m-m')\phi}cos\phi=\int^{2\pi}_{0} e^{-i \phi}cos\phi[/itex]

[itex]=\int^{2\pi}_{0} e^{-i \phi} \frac{e^{i\phi}+e^{-i\phi}}{2}[/itex]

[itex]=\frac{1}{2}\int^{2\pi}_{0}e^{-2i\phi}+1[/itex]

[itex]=\frac{1}{2}[-\frac{e^{-2i\phi}}{2i}+\phi]^{2\pi}_{0}[/itex]

[itex]=\frac{1}{2}[\phi -\frac{cos(2\phi)-isin(2\phi)}{2i}]^{2\pi}_{0}[/itex]

[itex]=\frac{1}{2}[2\pi-\frac{1}{2i}+\frac{1}{2i}][/itex]

[itex]=\pi[/itex]

When [itex]m=m'\pm 1[/itex] one of the exponential terms multiplies with another to make 1. This means after integration there is a non trigonometric term which will become zero when zero is substituted in to it. However when [itex]m\neq m'\pm 1[/itex] both terms have an exponential in after the integral is evaluated so the two terms you get after subbing in the [itex]2\pi[/itex] will equal the two terms you get after subbing in the zero. Does that sound right? Thanks for the help.

9. Dec 4, 2013 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sounds good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted