Self interaction, conserving energy

In summary: It is said that this is simply the case with classical theory, and you have to deal with it. However, how can this be? If accelerating charge is giving energy to the field, then it should be losing energy itself, but how can it lose energy if it doesn't feel its own field? Is the energy really conserved in classical theory, when one attempts to explain the radiation?
jostpuur
I've learned that you cannot deal with the interaction of a charge with its own field in classical electromagnetism. It is said, that this is simply the case with classical theory, and you have to deal with it. But how can this be? If accelerating charge is giving energy to the field, then it should be losing energy itself, but how can it lose energy if it doesn't feel its own field? Is the energy really conserved in classical theory, when one attempts to explain the radiation?

I have never seen an equation, that would tell strictly, what kind of acceleration a charge would suffer with a given rate of change of momentum. I mean, that at least the rate of change of the speed should be less than if particle had no charge. How much less, precisly?

Physics news on Phys.org
jostpuur said:
I've learned that you cannot deal with the interaction of a charge with its own field in classical electromagnetism. It is said, that this is simply the case with classical theory, and you have to deal with it. But how can this be? If accelerating charge is giving energy to the field, then it should be losing energy itself, but how can it lose energy if it doesn't feel its own field? Is the energy really conserved in classical theory, when one attempts to explain the radiation?

I have never seen an equation, that would tell strictly, what kind of acceleration a charge would suffer with a given rate of change of momentum. I mean, that at least the rate of change of the speed should be less than if particle had no charge. How much less, precisly?
Electron self-interaction seems to be one of those aspects of physics that has no right answer, just different ways of looking at it. Feynman spent his life trying to analyse electron self - interaction using retarded potentials, advanced potentials and half-retarded, half-advanced and could not find a solution. See his http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1965/feynman-lecture.html" .

AM

Last edited by a moderator:
jostpuur said:
There is a section in Jackson's 3rd Edition of his EM text. That section is called "Radiative Reaction Force from Conservation of Energy."

Seek your aswer there. Leave it to say that there is an additional force to overcome which is caused by the attempt to accelerate the charged particle. This is known as the Abraham-Lorentz self-force. This is a complex subject and has some quirks to it and I don't know the subject well enough to explain it solidly to others. I recommend that you look this up, perhaps at the library or a search on Google.

Pete

What is self interaction?

Self interaction refers to the interaction of an object or system with itself. This can occur in various forms, such as a particle interacting with its own electric or magnetic field, or an object interacting with its own internal energy.

How does self interaction conserve energy?

Self interaction follows the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. This means that any energy involved in self interaction must be accounted for and conserved in the overall system.

What are some examples of self interaction?

Some examples of self interaction include a charged particle interacting with its own electric field, a magnet interacting with its own magnetic field, and an object undergoing a chemical reaction with its own internal energy.

Can self interaction result in a net gain or loss of energy?

No, self interaction does not result in a net gain or loss of energy. As stated before, energy is conserved in all interactions, including self interaction. Any energy involved in self interaction is either transferred or transformed within the system.

How does self interaction affect the behavior of a system?

Self interaction can play a significant role in the behavior of a system, as it can contribute to the overall energy and forces acting on the system. It can also lead to self-stabilization, as the system's interactions with itself can help maintain its equilibrium.