Help an Aspiring 13yo Physicist Further Their Knowledge

• Thread starter Shea Tesla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, Shea, a 13-year-old aspiring physicist, is seeking help in furthering his understanding of physics as his school does not offer any classes for his grade level. Shea has read multiple books on physics, but struggles with some of the more complex concepts, and is looking for resources and a loose "curriculum" to follow. Other forum members suggest focusing on improving mathematical skills and recommend getting involved in the National Physics Olympiad. They also advise Shea to maintain his interest in physics and to read biographies of famous physicists for inspiration.
Shea Tesla said:
Also, what do you guys thing of something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486691934/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Hi Shea.

I don't think you are quite ready for this book yet, judging by the table of contents (I haven't read it).

I am not sure how much math you know, but the first thing you need to do is finish your high school math: algebra, trigonometry, geometry, and pre-calculus. There are physics text-books that are written for students that do not know any calculus, however, the ones I know are dull and poorly written. I have done some digging around and it seems Giancoli's Physics: Principles with Applications is a decent physics book that does not use calculus, but I have not read it. If you buy this book please get an earlier, used copy, because the price of the new book is ridiculous. I think you can get such copies here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0131021532/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Most often new editions of popular text-books do not add much to or significanly improve upon previous editions, publishers do this so they can extract as much money as possible from students; this may prove something useful to keep in mind for your future purchases. In fact, the quality of text-books often declines with new editions.

Then you should start a study of calculus. Among the zillions of text-books that can be recommended, two of the most popular are the books by Stewart and Thomas. At first you will only need the material covering calculus of one variable. Needless to say, I recommend you find an old copy that is selling for cheap, and preferably a hardcover, because these books are invariably bloated.

After you have studied calculus of one variable you can start with calculus based physics. I recommend you get an old copy of Halliday and Resnick:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/047134530X/?tag=pfamazon01-20
or Alonso and Finn, but from a review on amazon.com it seems the new edition of this book has also been dumbed down, so perhaps you should get their three volumes of Fundamental University Physics, if you can find it reasonably priced.

If you are eager to start learning physics you can get the Giancoli book now. However, there is not much to be gained, I think, by first doing physics without calculus, so if you have the patience, learn calculus and then get one of the calculus based physics books. That should get you started.

By the way, you may find it useful to look for used books at this website: http://www.abebooks.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
<h2>1. How can a 13-year-old start learning about physics?</h2><p>A great way for a 13-year-old to start learning about physics is by reading books and watching educational videos about the subject. They can also participate in science clubs or camps and conduct simple experiments at home.</p><h2>2. What are some recommended resources for a 13-year-old interested in physics?</h2><p>Some recommended resources for a 13-year-old interested in physics include popular science magazines like <i>Scientific American</i> and <i>Discover</i>, educational YouTube channels like <i>Veritasium</i> and <i>MinutePhysics</i>, and books like <i>The Cartoon Guide to Physics</i> and <i>The Physics of Superheroes</i>.</p><h2>3. How can a 13-year-old get hands-on experience with physics?</h2><p>A 13-year-old can get hands-on experience with physics by participating in science fairs, joining a robotics club, or building simple machines and conducting experiments at home. They can also attend science camps or workshops focused on physics.</p><h2>4. How important is math for a 13-year-old interested in physics?</h2><p>Math is essential for understanding physics, so it is important for a 13-year-old to have a strong foundation in math. They should focus on learning algebra, geometry, and trigonometry to prepare for more advanced physics concepts.</p><h2>5. What are some potential career paths for a 13-year-old interested in physics?</h2><p>There are many potential career paths for a 13-year-old interested in physics, including astrophysicist, engineer, science teacher, and researcher. They can also pursue careers in fields such as medicine, computer science, and environmental science, which all require a strong understanding of physics.</p>

1. How can a 13-year-old start learning about physics?

A great way for a 13-year-old to start learning about physics is by reading books and watching educational videos about the subject. They can also participate in science clubs or camps and conduct simple experiments at home.

2. What are some recommended resources for a 13-year-old interested in physics?

Some recommended resources for a 13-year-old interested in physics include popular science magazines like Scientific American and Discover, educational YouTube channels like Veritasium and MinutePhysics, and books like The Cartoon Guide to Physics and The Physics of Superheroes.

3. How can a 13-year-old get hands-on experience with physics?

A 13-year-old can get hands-on experience with physics by participating in science fairs, joining a robotics club, or building simple machines and conducting experiments at home. They can also attend science camps or workshops focused on physics.

4. How important is math for a 13-year-old interested in physics?

Math is essential for understanding physics, so it is important for a 13-year-old to have a strong foundation in math. They should focus on learning algebra, geometry, and trigonometry to prepare for more advanced physics concepts.

5. What are some potential career paths for a 13-year-old interested in physics?

There are many potential career paths for a 13-year-old interested in physics, including astrophysicist, engineer, science teacher, and researcher. They can also pursue careers in fields such as medicine, computer science, and environmental science, which all require a strong understanding of physics.