1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Semi-infinite non-conducting rod

1. Mar 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A "semi-infinite" nonconducting rod has a uniform linear charge density λ. Show that the electric field E at point P a distance R above one end of the rod makes an angle of 45° with the rod and that this result is independent of the distance R.

2. Relevant equations
    $$\vec{E}=\int \frac{k\lambda }{r^2}dx$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have found that $$\vec{E_x}=\frac{-k\lambda}{\sqrt{R^2+x^2}}$$ and $$\vec{E_y}=\frac{k\lambda x}{R\sqrt{R^2+x^2}}$$

I have tried to show that, if Ex and Ey make a 45° angle, then they must be equal, but that leads nowhere. I have tried simply taking the arctan of Ey/Ex, but that leads to -x/R, which doesn't make sense. I have also tried evaluating the integrals at infinity and then using L'Hospital's rule, but it doesn't work for Ey.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

After integrating, did you evaluate at the limits of integration? ##x## should not appear in the results.

4. Mar 7, 2013 #3
    Oh, woops. I got $$\frac{k\lambda}{R}$$ for both. Of course the ratio of these is 1, so the angle is 45 degrees. Thanks.

5. Mar 7, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted