Seminal Papers in Quantum Gravity?

In summary, seminal papers in quantum gravity are groundbreaking scientific works that have greatly advanced our understanding of the fundamental laws governing the universe. These papers have explored the complex interactions between gravity and quantum mechanics, paving the way for the development of theories such as string theory and loop quantum gravity. They have also provided crucial insights into the nature of black holes and the structure of space-time. Some of the most influential papers in this field include Einstein's theory of general relativity, Hawking's black hole radiation theory, and the work of contemporary physicists like Steven Weinberg and Edward Witten. Overall, these seminal papers continue to shape and inform the ongoing research in quantum gravity, making them essential reading for anyone interested in this field of physics.
inflector
Is there a list somewhere here of the seminal papers in quantum gravity?

I recently ran across a paper/chapter by Ashtekar: Non-perturbative Quantum Gravity: What and Why? from a 1991 book Lectures on non-perturbative canonical gravity by Abhay Ashtekar, Ranjeet S. Tate when googling to find out what a preferred foliation was.

It was very interesting and made me think.

It also made me realize that there were probably some interesting seminal papers on quantum gravity from the early days which people assume you have read. Does anyone here have a relatively short list (say less than 20) of the must-read papers in quantum gravity? This seems like the kind of list a true aficionado or practitioner might keep.

Especially any that might be relatively accessible to a non-professional that is still learning?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rovelli's book has a history section, with bibliography.

A draft of the book is available free online at his website, just google "carlo rovelli", or if you can't find it there look at the list of handy QG links in "Introduction to LQG" thread.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2904073#post2904073

Please say if you have any trouble finding it. As I recall he has a kind of time-line account going back to Wheeler and DeWitt (maybe earlier). Also there is historical background in several of the early chapters.

marcus said:
Rovelli's book has a history section, with bibliography.

A draft of the book is available free online at his website, just google "carlo rovelli", or if you can't find it there look at the list of handy QG links in "Introduction to LQG" thread.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2904073#post2904073

Please say if you have any trouble finding it. As I recall he has a kind of time-line account going back to Wheeler and DeWitt (maybe earlier). Also there is historical background in several of the early chapters.

It looks like he took the draft off as it's now published and available on Amazon and Cambridge University Press. :frown:

Thanks unusualname and marcus, I'm sure I can start and branch out from there.

inflector said:
It looks like he took the draft off as it's now published and available on Amazon and Cambridge University Press. :frown:

heh heh, no the draft PDF is still online, you just have to use the physicsforums link I posted. If you go there, it's in a short list labeled "classic online sources"

marcus said:
heh heh, no the draft PDF is still online, you just have to use the physicsforums link I posted. If you go there, it's in a short list labeled "classic online sources"

Ah, handy thing this internet. Thanks marcus.

1. What is quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity is a theoretical framework that seeks to reconcile the theories of general relativity (which describes the behavior of large-scale objects) and quantum mechanics (which describes the behavior of subatomic particles) in order to explain the behavior of gravity at the smallest scales, such as those within black holes or during the early moments of the universe.

2. Why are seminal papers in quantum gravity important?

Seminal papers in quantum gravity are important because they provide foundational concepts and theories that have shaped our understanding of this field. They often introduce new ideas and approaches that have been further developed and refined by subsequent research. They also serve as a starting point for further investigations and experiments.

3. Who are some of the key scientists behind seminal papers in quantum gravity?

Some of the key scientists behind seminal papers in quantum gravity include Albert Einstein, who first proposed the theory of general relativity, and Niels Bohr, who contributed to the development of quantum mechanics. More recent figures include Stephen Hawking, who made significant contributions to our understanding of black holes, and Roger Penrose, who proposed the concept of cosmic censorship.

4. What are some examples of seminal papers in quantum gravity?

Some examples of seminal papers in quantum gravity include Albert Einstein's 1915 paper on general relativity, which introduced the concept of spacetime curvature and the famous equation E=mc²; Werner Heisenberg's 1925 paper on the uncertainty principle, which laid the foundation for quantum mechanics; and Stephen Hawking's 1974 paper on black hole radiation, which demonstrated the connection between quantum mechanics and black holes.

5. How do seminal papers in quantum gravity impact current research in the field?

Seminal papers in quantum gravity continue to impact current research in the field by providing a basis for further exploration and experimentation. They also serve as a guide for new theories and ideas, and can help scientists better understand the limitations and challenges of quantum gravity. Additionally, these papers often spark new debates and discussions, driving the progress of research in this complex and fascinating field.