Senior level Math Class choice

In summary, a physics major who is also minoring in math is planning their upper division math courses. They have already taken Calc1-3, Diff EQ, and an intro to linear algebra course. They are scheduled to take a vector analysis course and are considering taking differential geometry as it was recommended by their advisor. However, they were told that differential geometry has not been taught in a long time and may not be available in the upcoming semester. They are still planning to take vector analysis and are seeking recommendations for their last math course. Their options are Complex Variables, Fourier Series and Boundary Value Problems, and Calculus of Variations and Optimal Control. They are also considering graduate school and potentially taking all three courses in the future. The
ziggybenji
Here is my situation, I am a physics major who is also minoring in math. I have already taken Calc1-3 and Diff EQ as well as an intro to linear algebra course. I am scheduled to take a vector analysis course this Fall. The reason for my choice of linear algebra and vector analysis is because they are both pre-requisites for differential geometry which I was told by my advisor as being a good course to take as a physics major.

I recently had an appointment with the math department to certify my math minor outline for the Post 9/11 GI bill. I was told by my math advisor that differential geometry has not been taught in a very long time and I shouldn't cross my fingers that it will be taught this upcoming spring. I am still going to take vector analysis because I was told it is still a good math class to have under my belt.

So, after this semester I will have one more math class to fulfill my minor requirement. I was hoping to get the recommendation of the members on this forum as to which upper division math class I should take. My choices are below followed with their catalog description:

Complex Variables: A first course in complex function theory, with emphasis on applications

Fourier Series and Boundary Value Problems: Fourier series and methods of solution of the boundary value problems of applied mathematics

Calculus of Variations and Optimal Control: Euler's equations, conditions for extrema, direct methods, dynamic programming, and the Pontryagin maximal principle

These three upper division classes are really the only options for me based on pre-requisites. So which of these classes do you think would be a good option for me as a physics major? Thanks for any input in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
As a Physics major, sooner or later, I think you are going to need to take all three of these courses. I would definitely take the Complex Variables course; the Fourier Series and the Calculus of Variations could be pushed back. IDK if you plan on graduate school, but if you do, these latter two courses are probably going to pop up again at some point.

What kind of school is this that doesn't have a course in differential geometry, even for math majors/minors?

I go to NMSU and Differential Geometry is still officially in the course catalog. Apparently they just haven't taught it for 3 years, for what reason though, I do not know. Our math requirement for physics is only the three semester calculus sequence, diff eq, and a mathematical physics class which is taught through the physics department. I currently have something lined up in the way of an internship which looks promising for lateral transfer over to full time employment. But I am still entertaining the thoughts of grad school, it just might be a little later then sooner.

SteamKing said:
As a Physics major, sooner or later, I think you are going to need to take all three of these courses. I would definitely take the Complex Variables course; the Fourier Series and the Calculus of Variations could be pushed back. IDK if you plan on graduate school, but if you do, these latter two courses are probably going to pop up again at some point.

What kind of school is this that doesn't have a course in differential geometry, even for math majors/minors?

My school doesn't require differential geometry either for a degree in physics. It is pretty much the same requirements as ziggy's. Unlike ziggy's we are required to take Linear Algebra, and mathematical physics is taught within the junior and senior level physics courses.

I understand the importance of choosing courses that will best complement your major and future career goals. From your description, it seems like you have already taken a strong foundation in math with your previous courses and are now looking to expand your knowledge in a specific area.

Based on your interests in physics and your advisor's recommendation, I would suggest considering the Calculus of Variations and Optimal Control class. This course would provide you with a deeper understanding of optimization and its applications, which can be useful in physics and other scientific fields. Additionally, the topics covered in this class, such as dynamic programming and the Pontryagin maximal principle, are highly relevant to physics and can enhance your problem-solving skills.

However, if you have a strong interest in complex function theory and its applications, the Complex Variables class may also be a good option for you. It can provide you with a strong foundation in complex analysis, which is used in various areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetism.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on your personal interests and career goals. I would recommend researching the course syllabus and talking to your advisor or other physics professors for their input as well. Good luck with your decision and future studies!

1. What are the prerequisites for a senior level math class?

The specific prerequisites for a senior level math class may vary depending on the school or program. However, most senior level math classes generally require completion of lower level math courses such as algebra, geometry, and pre-calculus. Some may also require a certain minimum grade point average or a placement test.

2. How do I know which senior level math class to choose?

The best way to determine which senior level math class to choose is to consult with your academic advisor or math teacher. They can help you assess your skill level and interests to determine which class would be the most appropriate for you.

3. Are there different types of senior level math classes?

Yes, there are different types of senior level math classes. Some may focus on a specific branch of math, such as calculus or statistics, while others may cover a broader range of topics. It's important to research the course descriptions to understand the content and goals of each class.

4. Can I take a senior level math class if I am not planning to major in math or a related field?

Yes, you can still take a senior level math class even if you are not planning to major in math or a related field. In fact, many schools and programs require students to take a certain number of math courses as part of their general education requirements. Taking a senior level math class can also help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are applicable in various fields.

5. What should I do if I am struggling in my senior level math class?

If you are struggling in your senior level math class, it's important to seek help as soon as possible. Talk to your teacher or academic advisor about your concerns and see if they can provide additional resources or support. You can also consider joining a study group or hiring a tutor to help you improve your understanding of the material.