Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separable first order diff eq

1. Sep 18, 2008 #1
    Ok heres my problem:

The acceleration of a car is proportional to the difference between 250 km/h and the velocity of the car. If this machine can accelerate from rest to 100 km/h in 10s, how long will it take for the car to accelerate from rest to 200 km/h?

Here is what ive done so far:

dv/dt = k(250-v)
    integrating that...
    [tex]\int[/tex]dv/(250-v) = [tex]\int[/tex]kdt which equates to
    -ln|250-v| = kt + c solving for v gives me
    v = e^c * e^(-kt) - 250

Now, i proceeded to solve for k, making e^c = 1 since i assumed c = vnaught and vnaught = 0

When i solved for t i ended up getting like 7.2 seconds which isnt right if it takes 10 seconds to accelerate to 100 km/h. My main question is: how do i equate vnaught into the equation? Because obviously i was mistaken to think vnaught = c.

I have also tried to make e^c = B, but once again am stuck as to how to equate B to vnaught. Any suggestions would be helpful, my book doesnt really explain much.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

v0 is the initial velocity = 0. That's where t=0. That doesn't make e^c = 1 in any way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?