Seperation of variables (easy)

In summary, the solution to the problem dy/dx = [1+(1/y)]^1/2 is given by the integral of [y^1/2]/[1+y]^1/2 dy = x + c, using the method of separation of variables. The left side of the equation can be simplified by multiplying both numerator and denominator by [y^1/2] and then using algebraic rules to convert it to [y+1]^1/2/[y]^1/2. The right side of the equation is straightforward to integrate, but the left side may require the use of substitution, such as q = sinh(theta). Once the integration is complete, the variable can be changed back to q using trigon
t_n_p

Homework Statement

show the solution to dy/dx = [1+(1/y)]^1/2 is given by ∫[y^1/2]/[1+y]^1/2 dy = x + c

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this will be solved by separation of variables...
If i take the whole rhs over to the lhs I get...

dy/[1+(1/y)]^1/2 = dx

RHS no problems when I integrate, however cannot solve the lhs.
I've tried substitution with u = 1+1/y, but didn't seem to help

Which way should I go about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, show that
[tex]\frac{1}{(1 + 1/y)^{1/2}} = \frac{y^{1/2}}{(1+y)^{1/2}}[/tex]
which is not hard (hint, multiply by 1 = a/a, where you choose a conveniently)
Then you are done, the question only asks to show you that the integral of that over dy is equal to the integral of 1 over dx, which is just x + c. It doesn't ask you to actually do the integration, does it?

Lets look at this problem:

dz/dx = f(z) show that integral of dz/f(z) = x + c
answer:
dz/f(z) = dx

integral of left side = integral of right side get:

integral of dz/f(z) = integral of dx

integral of dz/f(z) = x + c

I have shown what is asked of me!

Unless you are asking the question wrong, it is exactly this easy. You're just a little algebra away from the answer.

CompuChip said:
First of all, show that
[tex]\frac{1}{(1 + 1/y)^{1/2}} = \frac{y^{1/2}}{(1+y)^{1/2}}[/tex]
which is not hard (hint, multiply by 1 = a/a, where you choose a conveniently)
Then you are done, the question only asks to show you that the integral of that over dy is equal to the integral of 1 over dx, which is just x + c. It doesn't ask you to actually do the integration, does it?

The rhs is straighforward, but your wording for the lhs has me confused. Is [tex]\frac{1}{(1 + 1/y)^{1/2}}[/tex] multiplied by root(y)/root(y) correct? Pardon my lack of surd expansion knowledge

Yep, that's a good try. Now rewrite it a bit and you're done. You will need rules like
[tex]\frac{a}{b} \cdot \frac{c}{d} = \frac{a c}{b d} = a \frac{c}{b d} = \frac{a c}{b} \cdot \frac{1}{d} \cdots[/tex]
and
[tex]\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{a b}[/tex]
(a, b >= 0).
But they are essential for anything involving algeba, so you will want to learn them anyway, if you don't know them yet.

Yes, that is correct. You can multiply both numerator and denominator by y1/2. Of course, that will be multiplying by y inside the square root in the denominator.

Notice that the answer is itself given in terms of an integral so you don't have to actually do any integration.

yeah, so just to double check, multiplication of the 2 demoninators should be as follows..

{[1+(1/y)]^1/2} * {y^1/2} = [y +y/y]^1/2

basically, normal expansion, with the final answer all under the square root?

Yes that is ok to do.. I was thinking something more simple than multiply top and bottom by [y^1/2], because it's not logical for me to do it that way (seems like a trick), instead I would combine the bottom and divide..

1+1/y = y/y + 1/y = (y+1)/y (common denominators), so you get:

[(y+1)/y]^1/2 = [(y+1)^1/2]/[y^1/2]

now dy is divided by the above.. when you divide you multiply by the reciprocal to get:
dy * [y^1/2] / [(y+1)^1/2]

i now wish to show antidiff of q/[1+q^2]^1/2 = [1+q^2]^1/2 by using the change of variable q=sinh(theta).

I find dq=cosh(theta)d(theta), sub everything in and find that the equation becomes
antidiff sinh(theta)cosh(theta)/[1+sinh^2(theta)]^1/2 d(theta).

I can change the top line to 1 and the bottom line to root (cosh^2(theta)), but I cannot see how I retreive the q.

help!

t_n_p said:
i now wish to show antidiff of q/[1+q^2]^1/2 = [1+q^2]^1/2 by using the change of variable q=sinh(theta).
You mean you want to find [tex]\int \frac{q}{\sqrt{1+q^2}} dq[/tex] or [tex]\int \sqrt{1+q^2} dq[/tex]?

I find dq=cosh(theta)d(theta), sub everything in and find that the equation becomes
antidiff sinh(theta)cosh(theta)/[1+sinh^2(theta)]^1/2 d(theta).

I can change the top line to 1 and the bottom line to root (cosh^2(theta)), but I cannot see how I retreive the q.
Why can't you cancel out the cosh theta above and below? Then you'll be left with a simpler term to integrate.

I wish to prove:
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/1885/89082209id8.jpg

Yeah, I should have seen that before! So cancelling cosh(theta) top and bottom leaves me with the antiderivative of sinh(theta). My question now, how do I change back the variable to q?

Normally, I would integrate sinh(theta) to give cosh(theta), and then sub back, but in this case I cannot sub back because after integration the sinh term is gone and I am left with cosh(theta). What is the correct way to get back q?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you wanted to prove that all you need to do is differentiate the right hand side, unless the question tells you to do it by integration by substitution.

Make use of some hyperbolic trigo identities. How do you express cosh theta in terms of sinh theta ? And more importantly you can recover q by noting that [tex]\theta = \sinh^{-1} q[/tex]. This page should help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbolic_function

I wish to perform integration of lhs rather than diff rhs. I've been told the best way is to perform the substitution q=sinh(theta).

anyhow, after integrating sinh(theta) I get cosh(theta)
I figured I could do root (cosh^2(theta)) then swap that cosh^2(theta) with 1+sinh^2(theta), hence giving root[1+sinh^2(theta)], finally then I can swap the sinh(theta) back to q giving RHS.

Sounds correct?

Yeah, it's ok as well.

cool, as a lead on I now wish to evaluate the antidiff of (1+q²)^1/2 using the same change of variable q=sinh(θ).

I substitute q and dq in and simplify to give antidiff cosh²(θ)dθ, then I proceed to use the identity cosh²(θ) = 1/2[1+cosh(2θ)], and antidiffing gives 1/2[θ+sinh(2θ)/2]

obviously θ=sinhֿ¹(θ), but how will I get q back given the sinh(2θ) term?

Break up that sinh(2θ) term into sinhθ and coshθ. You can express coshθ in terms of sinhθ. Do that and make use of the Wikipedia page linked earlier to simplify your expression.

hmmm, the inverse sinh term is bothering me...

after swapping everything to sinh and then back to q, I get...

= {sinhֿ¹(q) + q[1+q²]^1/2}/2

1. What is separation of variables?

Separation of variables is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations by breaking down the equation into simpler equations. This method is based on the assumption that the solution can be represented as a product of two functions, each depending on only one variable.

2. When is separation of variables used?

Separation of variables is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to solve differential equations that cannot be solved by other methods. It is especially useful for partial differential equations, where the variables can be separated into two or more simpler equations.

3. How does separation of variables work?

The technique of separation of variables involves isolating all terms containing one variable on one side of the equation and all terms containing the other variable on the other side. This allows the equation to be rewritten as a product of two simpler equations, each depending on only one variable. These simpler equations can then be solved separately to find the solution to the original equation.

4. What are the limitations of separation of variables?

While separation of variables is a powerful technique for solving differential equations, it can only be applied to certain types of equations. The equation must be linear and homogeneous, meaning that it can be written as a sum of terms each containing only one of the variables and their derivatives. Additionally, the boundary conditions of the problem must be compatible with the separated solutions.

5. Can separation of variables be applied to all types of differential equations?

No, separation of variables can only be applied to certain types of differential equations, such as linear and homogeneous equations. It cannot be used to solve nonlinear or non-homogeneous equations. Other methods, such as numerical methods, must be used in these cases.