1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequences of Lipschitz Functions

1. May 24, 2009 #1
    Let [tex])<C<\infty[/tex] and [tex]a,b \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]. Also let
    [tex]Lip_{C}\left(\left[a,b\right]\right) := \left\{f:\left[a,b\right]\rightarrow \mathbb{R} | \left|f(x) - f(y)\right| \leq C \left|x-y\right| \forall x,y \in \left[a,b\right]\right\}
    [/tex].

Let [tex]\left(f_{n}\right) _{n \in \mathbb(N)} [/tex] be a sequence of functions with [tex]f_{n} \in Lip_{C}\left(\left[a,b\right]\right)[/tex] for all n.

i) Show that if [tex]\left(f_{n}\right) _{n \in \mathbb(N)} [/tex] converges uniformly to a function [tex] f : \left[a,b\right]\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex], then [tex] f \in Lip_{C}\left(\left[a,b\right]\right)[/tex].

ii) Is [tex]Lip_{C}\left(\left[a,b\right]\right)[/tex] a sub vector space of [tex]B\left(\left[a,b\right]\right) := \left\{f:\left[a,b\right]\rightarrow \mathbb{R} | f [/tex] bounded }?

The sequence converges uniformly, so:
    For all [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex], there exists [tex]N \in \mathbb{N}[/tex] so that for all [tex]n,m > N[/tex], [tex]|f_{n}(x)-f_{m}(x)|<\epsilon[/tex] for all [tex] x \in \left[a,b\right]\[/tex].

For (i), I honestly have no idea.

It seems that I can just say:

[tex]|f(x)-f(y)|[/tex]
    [tex]= |\lim_{n \to \infty} f_{n}(x) - \lim_{n \to \infty} f_{n}(y)|[/tex]
    [tex]= |\lim_{n \to \infty} (f_{n}(x) - f_{n}(y))|[/tex]
    [tex]= \lim_{n \to \infty} |(f_{n}(x) - f_{n}(y))| \leq C |x-y|[/tex]

But I know that has to be wrong. It's not even using the uniformity.

For (ii) I know the answer is of course not.

Let [tex] f(x):= Cx[/tex]. Then [tex] 2 f \notin Lip_{C}\left(\left[a,b\right]\right)[/tex], since

[tex]|2f(x)-2f(y)| = 2C|x-y| > C|x-y|[/tex].

Help on part (i) please?

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2009 #2
    Hmm.. after a bit more thinking....
    I think that the sequence only needs to converge pointwise (not uniformly) to a function in order for the limit function to also be in LipC([a,b]).

So, my proof for (i) pretty much works. (I think) Please tell me if I am wrong?!

Also, interestingly, I think that a pointwise convergent series of functions in LipC([a,b]) is also uniformly convergent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook