Connecting Serial Port Joystick to USB

• Thread starter Shawnzyoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Serial Usb
In summary: R.In summary, the serial port on your computer can be connected to a USB adapter to be used with an old joystick.
Shawnzyoo
I have an old serial port joystick but no serial port on my computer
i am pretty sure there is a way to connect the serial port to a usb adapter
does anyone know how to do this?
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
The FT232BM is the 2nd generation of FTDI's popular USB UART device ..
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/FT232BM.htm
i think this is exactly what you are looking for..

Shawnzyoo said:
I have an old serial port joystick but no serial port on my computer
i am pretty sure there is a way to connect the serial port to a usb adapter
does anyone know how to do this?
thanks

Since you're asking I doubt you want to develope your own from scratch. Go to your local computer store and get a serial to USB adapter.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=312963&pfp=SEARCH

You can find adapters like the one above for less than $10:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q...r&num=100&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&tab=wf&scoring=p

You may have to add some cktry to the joystick to clean up the signal. If you are trying to attach an old Atari-style joystick then search the net for the correcct cktry. I've seen web sites showing how to do this so I know they exist.

Well, good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you cannot wire the serial connection directly to the USB cable. You have to use a store-bought adaptor or, make your own using the above FTDI(or similar) chip.

The best analogy I can give is that you can't take the engine out of a Ford and expect it to fit in a Chevy. You'd need adaptors for this kind of conversion to work and the same goes for USB to serial. USB is a ford while RS-232 is a Chevy---not directly compatible.

USB is different from RS-232 in virtually every way, except for being a serial bus. They use different signalling voltages (USB is differential, RS-232 is single-ended), different signalling speeds, different bit timings, different bus-contention resolution strategies, and everything else. You must use some kind of IC adapter.

- Warren

1. How can I connect a serial port joystick to a USB port?

There are two main ways to connect a serial port joystick to a USB port. The first is to use a USB adapter, which will convert the serial port signal to USB. The second is to use a USB-to-serial port converter, which will allow you to connect the joystick directly to the USB port.

2. Can any serial port joystick be connected to a USB port?

No, not all serial port joysticks can be connected to a USB port. It is important to check the specifications of your joystick to see if it is compatible with USB adapters or converters. Some older or specialized joysticks may not be compatible.

3. What are the advantages of connecting a serial port joystick to a USB port?

The main advantage of connecting a serial port joystick to a USB port is convenience. Most modern computers do not have serial ports, so using a USB port allows you to easily connect and use your joystick without the need for additional adapters or converters.

4. Are there any potential problems with connecting a serial port joystick to a USB port?

There can be potential compatibility issues when using an adapter or converter to connect a serial port joystick to a USB port. It is important to make sure that the adapter or converter is compatible with both your computer and the joystick. Additionally, there may be some loss of functionality or precision when using an adapter or converter.

5. Is it possible to use multiple serial port joysticks on one USB port?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple serial port joysticks on one USB port by using a USB hub. However, it is important to note that each joystick may require its own adapter or converter, and there may be limitations on the number of devices that can be connected to a single USB port.