What is the Formal Definition of a Series' Limit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of limit and how to prove that a series converges to a final limit. The first question asks to write a formal statement using epsilon and N to show that L is not the limit of the general series {an} when n goes from 1 to infinity. The second question involves proving that if a series an is converging to a limit L, then the arithmetic averages of the terms of the series also converge to the same limit. The conversation also touches on the definition of limit and how to rewrite statements to better understand them.
Abukadu
hi :]

a couple of questions:

1) Using epsilon and N, write in a formal manner the following statement:
L is not a the limit of the general series {an} when n goes from 1 to infinity.

2) prove the next sentence: if a series an is converging into a final limit L, then the arithmetic avareges of the series organs(terms?) are gathering into the same limit. meaning:
lim (an)[n->infinity] = L = = = > lim [n->infinity] (a1+a2+a3..+an) / n = L

excuse my english.. not my strongest side.
I really wish I could write down my attempts to solve the question by they are all in hebrew and are too hard to translate since I'm not sure myself that I'm on the right path..

Thanks,
sharon.

Physics news on Phys.org
Recall the definition of limit:
[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = L[/tex] means that [tex]\forall \epsilon > 0, \cdots[/tex] ?

Then for 1 negate that statement:
[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n \neq L[/tex] means that [tex]\neg(\forall \epsilon > 0, \cdots) \Leftrightarrow \exists \epsilon > 0, \cdots[/tex] ?

For 2, you will somehow need to estimate the arithmetic average (yes, they are called terms, although organs is a nice one as well :smile:). That is, if you know that an comes arbitrarily close to L, then you want to show the same for (a1 + ... + an)/n.

thanks, but i didnt really understood (1) ..

OK, first step:
what is the definition of
[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = L[/tex]

the limit exists if for each ε > 0 there exists an R such that qqq |f(x) - L| < ε whenever x > R

so the limit does not exists when |f(x) - L| < ε whenever x < R ?

Abukadu said:
the limit exists if for each ε > 0 there exists an R such that qqq |f(x) - L| < ε whenever x > R
Right.

Abukadu said:
so the limit does not exists when |f(x) - L| < ε whenever x < R ?
No. The limit is not L, if it is not true that for each ε > 0 there exists an R such that |f(x) - L| < ε whenever x > R. In a first mathematics course you must have learned how to rewrite such a statement. Things like: if it is not true that all cows eat grass, then there must exist a cow who does not eat grass. In this case, your answer would start with: "the limit is not L, when there exists an ε > 0, ..."

1. What is a series in math?

A series in math is a sequence of numbers that are added together in a specific order. It is written in the form of a1 + a2 + a3 + ..., where an represents each term in the sequence.

2. What is the difference between a finite and infinite series?

A finite series has a limited number of terms, while an infinite series has an unlimited number of terms. This means that a finite series has an end point, while an infinite series continues on indefinitely.

3. How do you calculate the limit of a series?

The limit of a series is the value that the series approaches as the number of terms increases. It can be calculated by finding the sum of the terms in the series up to a certain point, and then taking the limit as that point approaches infinity. This is known as the partial sum method.

4. What is the significance of the limit of a series?

The limit of a series helps us understand the behavior of the series as the number of terms increases. It can tell us whether the series will converge (approach a finite value) or diverge (approach infinity). It is also used to test the convergence or divergence of a series.

5. How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are several methods for determining the convergence or divergence of a series, such as the comparison test, the integral test, and the ratio test. These methods involve comparing the series to a known convergent or divergent series, or analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series. If the limit of the series is a finite number, the series converges; if the limit is infinity or does not exist, the series diverges.