Series or parallel coils for equal resonance

In summary, in order to power multiple coils with the 555, a Mosfet should be used as a buffer to provide the necessary power for the coils. The 555 can work continuously for years, but may get hot due to trying to source too much current. Adding a buffer driver for each coil can prevent this issue. The frequency of the output should be independent of the impedance of the coils. Using parallel connection for the coils will result in a stronger magnetic field, but the number of FETs needed will depend on their current supply capabilities.
arthur92710
I have a 555 out put connected to a coil and i get the frequency i need.
But now i need the 555 to power more coils. How should i connect the coils to keep the same frequency. In parallel or Series?

The 555 will not directly power the coils. It will switch a Mosfet and that will provide the power for the coils.

The 555 will have to work about 24/7. Can it?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The 555 will work for years 24/7.

The rest of your question is not clear, but additional coils in either para;;el or series connection will change the resonance.

It sounds like you should add a buffer driver for each coil. The 555 can still generate the original signal, but you need to buffer that source to drive each coil load.

Heres a photo of my current design.

I took a copper wire and coiled it around 8 scerws. then when i turn it on the led on the secondary coil lights up. a.k.a IT WORKS!
But the 555 gets hot in like a few seconds. Because this is a prototype i am not using a fet yet.

Attachments

• projectcoils.jpg
    projectcoils.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
arthur92710 said:
Heres a photo of my current design.

I took a copper wire and coiled it around 8 scerws. then when i turn it on the led on the secondary coil lights up. a.k.a IT WORKS!
But the 555 gets hot in like a few seconds. Because this is a prototype i am not using a fet yet.

It most likely gets hot as you are trying to source too much current from the little 555 timer. The 555 timer can source quite a bit of current for a microchip (around 200 mA usually). But you're obviously asking it to deliver more, so yes, as you say you should use the MOSFET as a buffer to the coils. The frequency of the output should depend on the RC circuit you're using with the 555 timer, this should (ideally) be independent of the impedence of the coils. Parallel connection would give you the strongest magnetic field. Just make sure your MOSFET is capable of suppying the required current.

if i do it in parallel will i need a fet for every coil? and then have the 555 output drive each of them?

arthur92710 said:
if i do it in parallel will i need a fet for every coil? and then have the 555 output drive each of them?

Depends on how much current your FET can supply. But if you have a few FETs to spare, this is probably the cheapest solution.

I have 4 SUB85N02-03-E3's. they have an Id 85
I should have some more fet's coming on wednesday

1. What is the difference between series and parallel coils?

In series coils, the current flows through each coil one after the other, while in parallel coils, the current divides and flows through each coil simultaneously.

2. How do series and parallel coils affect resonance?

Series and parallel coils have different effects on the resonance frequency. In series, the resonance frequency decreases, while in parallel, the resonance frequency increases.

3. Which type of coil arrangement is better for equal resonance?

It depends on the specific application. Series coils are better for increasing inductance and decreasing resonance frequency, while parallel coils are better for decreasing inductance and increasing resonance frequency.

4. Can series and parallel coils be combined for equal resonance?

Yes, series and parallel coils can be combined to achieve equal resonance. This is known as a combination or hybrid circuit and is commonly used in complex electronic systems.

5. What factors should be considered when choosing between series and parallel coils for equal resonance?

The main factors to consider are the desired resonance frequency, the available inductance values, and the circuit design. Based on these factors, the appropriate coil arrangement can be chosen to achieve equal resonance.