Solving a Serious Math Problem

• Thread starter vip89
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem of finding a positive and twice differentiable function on [0, ∞) that satisfies the condition f(x)f''(x) ≤ -1. The discussion includes different approaches and arguments, with the final conclusion being that such a function does not exist. There is also a brief mention of a solution that works for f(x)f''(x) < 0, but not for the given condition.
vip89
Serius problem!

Can you help me in solving this??

Is there a positive and twice differentiable function f defned on [0,∞) such
that f(x)f’’(x) ≤ -1 on [0,∞) ? Why or why not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Guys,no one can solve this problem??!

What does that tell you about f"(x)? Where is f concave up or down?

vip89 said:
Guys,no one can solve this problem??!

Is anybody supposed to solve it...besides you?

vip89 said:
Can you help me in solving this??

Is there a positive and twice differentiable function f defned on [0,∞) such
that f(x)f’’(x) ≤ -1 on [0,∞) ? Why or why not?
Any positive constant funtion works.

pebloy said:
Any positive constant funtion works.

What do you mean with constant?

say

f(x)=b, where b is a constant, this defenitely doesn't work, since f'=f''=0 so also

f(x)f''(x)=0, so this defenitely is not smaller than -1.

picking up on Halls advice.

SInce f(x)>0 on[0,infty) this means that the sign of f(x)f''(x) is determined only by the sign of f''. So, since the problem requires that f(x)f''(x) be smaller or equal to -1 on the interval [0,infty) it means that for all x's on this interval f''(x)<0. What does this tell us about the concavity of f? this means that f is concave down on the whole interval. But if f is concave down on the whole interval it means that at some point it should defenitely cross the x-axis, and therefore at some point be also negative, but this contradicts the fact that f>0, so i would say that such a function does not exist at all.

sutupidmath said:
What do you mean with constant?

say

f(x)=b, where b is a constant, this defenitely doesn't work, since f'=f''=0 so also

f(x)f''(x)=0, so this defenitely is not smaller than -1.
Sorry I reversed the inequality. :-)

that is wt I did,pls send me ur help

Attachments

• pass10.JPG
    pass10.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 360
vip89 said:
that is wt I did,pls send me ur help

This is not what you did, but exactly what sutupidmath wrote in his post... you should at least credit him if you literally copy his words...

Anyways, could you prove that a function on [0,inf) which is always concave down has to be negative somewhere..? This is the key argument in your reasoning and you did not justify it.

The answer is NO:

Suppose the statement is true. Then [tex]f(x)>0, f''(x)<0 [/tex] for all [tex] x>0 [/tex]. Moreover, [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} f''(x)<0 [/tex] if it exists.

Let [tex] f(0)>0, f'(x) [/tex] is monotonically decreasing, then [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} f'(x) [/tex] is either [tex] -\infty [/tex] or a constant.

If [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} f'(x)=-\infty [/tex], then [tex]f [/tex] is monotonically decreasing on [tex] [T,\,+\infty)[/tex] for some [tex]T [/tex] large enough and [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow+\infty} f(x) [/tex] must be negative. Otherwise, [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow+\infty} f(x)=c_0\geq 0 [/tex] and there exists a unbounded sequence [tex]\{x_n\}[/tex] so that [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} f'(x_n)=0 [/tex]. Contradiction;

if [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} f'(x)=c [/tex], where [tex]c[/tex] is a constant, then there exists a unbounded sequence [tex]\{x_n\}[/tex] so that [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} f''(x_n)=0 [/tex], but we already have [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} f''(x_n)<0 [/tex]. Contradiction.

P. S.

Note that the assumption is [tex]f(x)\cdot f''(x)\leq -1 [/tex] on [tex][0,\,+\infty)[/tex]. If we change it into [tex]f(x)\cdot f''(x)<0 [/tex], then we cannot have [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} f''(x)<0 [/tex] and in this case the statement is true:
e.g.: Let [tex]f(x)=\ln (x+2)[/tex]. Then we have
[tex]\begin{align*}
f'(x)&=1/(x+2),\\
f''(x)&=-1/(x+2)^2.
\end{align*}[/tex]​
Therefore, for all [tex]x\geq 0[/tex], we have
[tex]\begin{align*}f(x)\cdot f''(x)&=-\frac{\ln (x+2)}{(2+x)^2}<0 \\
\intertext{and}
f(x)&>0.
\end{align*}[/tex]​

Last edited:

1. What are the steps for solving a serious math problem?

The steps for solving a serious math problem can vary depending on the specific problem, but generally they include: understanding the problem, identifying the known and unknown variables, choosing a strategy (such as using an equation or drawing a diagram), solving the problem, and checking the solution for accuracy.

2. How do I know if my solution to a serious math problem is correct?

To confirm the accuracy of your solution, you can use a variety of methods such as checking your work with a calculator or verifying it with a peer or teacher. Additionally, you can plug your solution back into the original problem to see if it yields the correct result.

3. What do I do if I get stuck while solving a serious math problem?

If you encounter difficulty while solving a serious math problem, you can try breaking it down into smaller parts or approaching it from a different angle. It can also be helpful to consult with peers or a teacher for assistance.

4. How important is it to show my work when solving a serious math problem?

Showcasing your work while solving a serious math problem not only helps you keep track of your thought process and ensure accuracy, but it also allows others to understand your reasoning and provide feedback if needed. It is an important aspect of problem-solving in mathematics.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving difficult math problems?

Some helpful strategies for solving difficult math problems include: breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, looking for patterns or relationships within the problem, and using visual aids or diagrams to better understand the problem. Additionally, practicing regularly and seeking help when needed can also improve problem-solving skills.