Can a set of units in a ring form a group under multiplication?

In summary, the author wants to show that a set of units in a ring form a group under multiplication. He starts by reviewing the definitions of a group and a unit. He then shows that a group is a set closed under an associative operation with an identity, and that the units are the elements that have multiplicative inverses. Finally, he proves closure.
dogma
Hello out there! I'm a new guy here, so don't pick on me too much...I cry easy :wink:

I want to show that a set of units in a ring forms a group under multiplication. What steps would I take to show this?

Things that my feable brain knows:

1) if [tex]a[/tex] is a unit, it is invertible and [tex]a^-^1[/tex] is also a unit.
2) the product of units is a unit.
3) and that [tex](ab)^-^1 = b^-^1 a^-^1[/tex]

How should I proceed?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Best!

Physics news on Phys.org
what does it mean for something to be a unit? now, write out the definitions of a group and by some basic algebraic manipulations show they are satisfied.

This is a reasonably elementary question, and I suspect that you've not thought long enough about it, that's all, especially as 1-2 above imply that it is a group directly.

ah, the light bulb is now lit (just needed a little help finding that switch).

Thanks for enlightening me (sorry for the bad pun).

Take care.

basically just be sure you always read and understand the definition of what you are trying to prove. I.e. a group is a set closed under an associative (binary) operation with an identity, and where every element has an inverse.

In a ring you have an associative multiplication with an identity, and the units are the elements that have multiplicative inverses, so this proof becomes easy once you know what the words mean.

Moral: before trying to prove every A is a B, always review the definitions of A and B first, as Matt advised.

Oh I guess you have to prove closure, i.e. the rpoduct of two units is a unit, which us your 3), so you had already done the only non trivial part of the proof.

Last edited:

1. What is a group in mathematics?

A group in mathematics is a set of elements that follow specific rules of composition, called group operations. These operations include closure, associativity, identity, and inverse.

2. What is the significance of a group in science?

Groups have many applications in science, particularly in physics and chemistry. They provide a way to describe and analyze symmetries and patterns in nature, which can help scientists understand fundamental laws and principles.

3. How do you determine if a set of units forms a group?

To determine if a set of units forms a group, you must check if the set satisfies the four group operations: closure, associativity, identity, and inverse. Closure means that when two elements are combined using the group operation, the result is also an element in the set. Associativity means that the order in which the operations are performed does not matter. Identity requires that there is an element in the set that, when combined with any other element using the group operation, results in that same element. Inverse means that every element in the set has an element that, when combined using the group operation, results in the identity element.

4. Can a set of units form more than one group?

Yes, a set of units can form more than one group. This is because different combinations of elements and operations can satisfy the four group operations. For example, the set of even integers under addition forms a group, but so does the set of all integers under multiplication.

5. How are groups related to other mathematical concepts?

Groups are related to several other mathematical concepts, such as rings, fields, and vector spaces. These structures build upon the concept of a group and add additional properties and operations. For example, a ring is a set with two operations (usually addition and multiplication) that satisfy similar properties to a group, while a field is a set with two operations that satisfies all of the group properties in addition to the properties of commutativity and distributivity.