1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set Theory/Compactness Question

1. Apr 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is part of a question I've managed to do most of.. I've got as far as:

Let K, L be compact subsets of topological spaces X,Y respectively, and let K x L [itex]\subseteq[/itex] W where W is open in X x Y.

I have already shown that: for each x in K there exist sets Ux, Vx, open in X,Y respectively such that x[itex]\in[/itex]Ux, L[itex]\subseteq[/itex] Vx and Ux x Vx [itex]\subseteq[/itex] W.

Now I have to show there exist sets U, V open in X,Y respectively and such that K x L [itex]\subseteq[/itex] U x V [itex]\subseteq[/itex] W.

2. Relevant equations
    I'm pretty stuck- If I set U as the union of Ux over x in X, and V as the union of Vx over x in X, I obviously get that K x L [itex]\subseteq[/itex] U x V, but I don't think this in necessarily contained in W. Alternatively if I take a union of (Ux x Vx) over x in X then this IS contained in W but can't be written in the form U x V (I don't think). I also haven't yet used the compactness property- this must be relevant but not really sure where..

I also considered taking V as the intersection of the Vx over x but this isn't necessarily open.

Any clues welcome! I have mock exams soon, need to get my head around this stuff :/

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The idea is indeed to take the intersection of the [itex]V_x[/itex], but this isn't open: an arbitrary intersection of open sets isn't necessarily open. BUT a finite intersection of open sets IS open. So we must reduce this collection to a finite collection somehow.

To do this, notice that [itex]\{U_x~\vert~x\in K\}[/itex] is an open cover of K.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook