Set Theory - Proving Contrapositive

In summary, the contrapositive of "If B \cap C \subseteq A Then (C-A) u (B-A) is empty" is "If (C-A) U (B-A) is not empty then B \cap C is not a subset of A."
rooski

Homework Statement

using set theroetic notation, write down and prove the contra-positive of:

GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH LATEX? It is completely ruining my set notation! And i can't fix it!

If [tex] B \cap C \subseteq A[/tex] Then [tex](C-A) u (B-A)[/tex] is empty.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm awful with set notation and finding inverses of things. Here's my guess at what the contra-positive is:

if [tex] B \cup C \notin A [/tex] then [tex] ( C - A ) \cup ( B - A ) [/tex] is empty

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
deleted

The contrapositive of p→q is (not q)→(not p). Try again.

Hmm.

If B [tex]\cap[/tex] C is not a subset of A then (C-A) U (B-A) is not empty

is that the contrapositive?

No. Note the order of p and q switch in the contrapositive.

Original statement: If X is a dog, X has four legs.
Contrapositive: If X does not have four legs, X is not a dog.

If (C-A) U (B-A) is not empty then B [tex]\cap[/tex] C is not a subset of A.

I think that's right. unless i did something wrong with inverting the logical statements.

That's correct.

1. What is the contrapositive of a statement in set theory?

The contrapositive of a statement in set theory is a statement that has the same logical meaning as the original statement, but with the antecedent and consequent switched and negated. For example, the contrapositive of the statement "If x is an element of set A, then x is also an element of set B" is "If x is not an element of set B, then x is not an element of set A."

2. How is the contrapositive used in set theory proofs?

The contrapositive is often used in set theory proofs to make the proof simpler or more straightforward. It allows for a more direct approach to proving a statement, as sometimes it is easier to prove the contrapositive statement than the original one.

3. What are some common techniques for proving the contrapositive?

Some common techniques for proving the contrapositive in set theory include using direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by contrapositive. These techniques involve using the definitions and properties of sets to show that the contrapositive statement is true.

4. Can the contrapositive be used to prove any statement in set theory?

No, the contrapositive can only be used to prove statements that have the form "if A then B." It cannot be used to prove statements that are not in this form, such as "A and B are equivalent sets."

5. Are there any limitations to using the contrapositive in set theory proofs?

One limitation of using the contrapositive in set theory proofs is that it may not always be the most elegant or efficient method of proof. In some cases, there may be alternative techniques that are more appropriate or intuitive to use. Additionally, the use of the contrapositive may not always lead to a valid or meaningful proof, as it relies on the logical equivalence of statements.