Setting Limitations on Dating and Love

• Thread starter maximismo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, the conversation touches on the topic of dating and love, emphasizing the importance of setting boundaries and not letting others control one's emotions and values. The conversation also mentions the potential consequences of not setting boundaries, such as loss of freedom and sexual impropriety. The participants also discuss the possibility of finding resources or websites that focus on love and dating, but no specific site is mentioned. The conversation also brings up the idea of applying science or psychology to dating, as well as personal rules and expectations in relationships. The conversation ends with a discussion on the role of sex and gender stereotypes in relationships.
maximismo
There is much to talk about dating and love, but you and only you are responsible for your boundaries. But I don't know much about these boundaries. As I read in a magazine clip that during the dating stage we should not let someone else control our love, emotions or values, they are not the problem. Our inability to set limits on their control is the problem. There may be a loss of freedom to be oneself, dating and loving at the same time the wrong person and most of all sexual impropriety. Is there any specific site that expound more about this?, there are site which is most particular on love and dating. Do you know some sites that talk about dating and love in particular?

Physics news on Phys.org
maximismo said:
There is much to talk about dating and love, but you and only you are responsible for your boundaries. But I don't know much about these boundaries. As I read in a magazine clip that during the dating stage we should not let someone else control our love, emotions or values, they are not the problem. Our inability to set limits on their control is the problem. There may be a loss of freedom to be oneself, dating and loving at the same time the wrong person and most of all sexual impropriety. Is there any specific site that expound more about this?, there are site which is most particular on love and dating. Do you know some sites that talk about dating and love in particular?
I really don't know of one; I'm sorry. If you want to apply science to it though: well, there's always Psychology.As for philosophical limitations, the rules I've come to live by are:

I. have no expectations (and you will never be disappointed again); and II. above all else, remember the dignity of the person with whom you are out with, at all times.

Last edited by a moderator:
FrancisZ said:
I really don't know of one; I'm sorry. If you want to apply science to it though: well, there's always Psychology.

As for philosophical limitations, the rules I've come to live by are:

I. have no expectations, and you will never be disappointed;

and

II. above all else, remember the dignity of the person with whom you are out with, at all times.

I find the second rule easy to follow. But how do you follow the first?

lisab said:
I find the second rule easy to follow. But how do you follow the first?

With disappointments I think! :smile:

If I must be more precise: have no expectation of intimacy. Sure...hope for it...want it...but have no expectation that you'll ever be that fortunate on your date.

I'm a pessimist--so sue me (you probably will)! :biggrin:

I think, you should go with intention, and be a good sport. With intention to get the girl, but enough of a good sport to understand that no means no, and that's perfectly fine to you. Also, don't inhibit yourself, remember to shine and show that awesome personality you possess. You are YOU, and that is great by itself, so don't avoid it.

i think it is a sad state of affairs that so much revolves around sex to the male.

also a pretty good reason why most relationships don't work. the old venus and mars.

Stereotypes suck.

1. Why do we need to set limitations on dating and love?

Setting limitations on dating and love is important because it allows us to protect ourselves and our emotional well-being. It also helps us to establish healthy boundaries and maintain respect in relationships.

2. What are some examples of limitations we can set in dating and love?

Some examples of limitations include setting boundaries around physical intimacy, communication expectations, and personal values. It can also involve deciding on a timeline for the relationship or setting limits on the amount of time spent together.

3. How do limitations in dating and love differ from restrictions or rules?

Limitations in dating and love are not meant to be restrictive or controlling. They are meant to be mutually agreed upon boundaries that both partners respect and abide by. Unlike rules, limitations are not meant to dictate behavior, but rather to promote healthy and respectful relationships.

4. Is it okay to change or adjust limitations in a relationship?

Yes, it is perfectly normal and healthy to reassess and change limitations in a relationship as it evolves and grows. It is important for both partners to communicate openly and honestly about any changes and to ensure that both parties are comfortable with the new limitations.

5. Can setting limitations on dating and love hinder the development of a relationship?

On the contrary, setting limitations can actually enhance the development of a relationship by promoting open communication and mutual respect. It can also help to prevent misunderstandings and conflicts that may arise from unspoken expectations.