Setting the derivative 0 and solving did I get the right results?

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation is about finding critical points using the derivative and whether a specific solution is correct. The participants also discuss the number of real solutions for a general equation and a reminder about a special case.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
The function and my attempt to find the critical points by setting the derivative equal to zero are in the attachment. Is this correct?

Attachments

• calctrue.jpg
    calctrue.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
You have f'(x)=2x-16x-2.

Could you try calculating f'(2) and more specifically f'(8)?
If your solution is correct they should both be zero.

*smacks forehead*

Good idea! So 8 is definitely wrong, 2 is correct. Is 2 the only correct answer then?

Femme_physics said:
*smacks forehead*

Good idea! So 8 is definitely wrong, 2 is correct. Is 2 the only correct answer then?

Yes.

In general x3=a has 1 real solution (and 2 imaginary ones).
The real solution is x=a1/3.

I'll remember that. :) Much appreciated Serena...you're the best.

Also, don't forget about x = 0, where the derivative is not defined.

1. How do I set the derivative to 0?

To set the derivative to 0, you need to take the derivative of the function and then set it equal to 0. This means finding the value of x where the slope of the function is equal to 0. This point is called a critical point and is used to find the maximum or minimum value of the function.

2. Why is it important to set the derivative to 0?

Setting the derivative to 0 allows you to find the maximum or minimum value of a function. This is important in optimization problems, where you want to find the optimal solution. It is also useful in curve sketching, to determine the behavior of the function at different points.

3. What does it mean if the derivative is equal to 0?

If the derivative is equal to 0, it means that the function has a critical point at that value of x. This means that the slope of the function is neither positive nor negative at that point, indicating a possible maximum or minimum. However, it is important to check the second derivative to determine the nature of the critical point.

4. How do I know if I have solved for the correct value?

To ensure that you have solved for the correct value, you can plug the critical point back into the original function and see if it results in a maximum or minimum value. You can also use the first and second derivative tests to confirm your answer.

5. What should I do if I get a different answer when solving for the derivative?

If you get a different answer when solving for the derivative, it could be due to a mistake in your calculations or a misunderstanding of the problem. Check your work and make sure you are using the correct derivative formula for the given function. If you are still unsure, seek help from a teacher or tutor to clarify any confusion.