Shadow Ops: Red Mercury - world's first 64-bit game

In summary, Wim Stocks from Atari states that AMD Athlon 64 technology is revolutionizing game design by providing more power and freedom for designers. This allows them to create scenes, physics, artificial intelligence, map sizes, and graphics detail that were previously only possible in dreams on 32-bit platforms. With the use of AMD64 64-bit technology, they are now able to offer THX 5.1 acoustic sound with every level of detail enabled and still maintain a playable game, something that was not possible with 32-bit code alone. While it may not be the world's first 64-bit game, it showcases the potential for enhanced gaming experiences with 64-bit technology.
hitssquad
  • “AMD Athlon 64 technology is revolutionizing game design and, given the tremendous power and freedom AMD64 offers to our game designers, we are able to create scenes, physics, artificial intelligence, map sizes and graphics detail that we only dreamed of on 32-bit platforms,“ said Wim Stocks, executive vice president, sales and marketing at Atari. “Using 32-bit code alone, we were unable to offer THX 5.1 acoustic sound with every level of detail enabled and still maintain a playable game; with AMD64 64-bit technology we can now do that and much more.”
http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3525622

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
That's not the world's first 64 bit game. I've played a 3D-tetris clone on my SGI, that I *know* is compiled natively for 64bit.

Last edited:

I find it truly impressive that Shadow Ops: Red Mercury is being hailed as the world's first 64-bit game. This is a huge milestone in the gaming industry and it's exciting to see the potential that AMD Athlon 64 technology brings to game design. It's clear that this technology is revolutionizing the way games are created and pushing the boundaries of what was previously thought possible on 32-bit platforms.

The statement from Wim Stocks, executive vice president of sales and marketing at Atari, really highlights the power and freedom that AMD64 offers to game designers. It's amazing to think that with this technology, game developers are able to create scenes, physics, artificial intelligence, and graphics detail that were once only dreams on 32-bit platforms. This is a huge step forward for the gaming industry and I can only imagine the incredible gaming experiences that will be created using this technology.

One aspect that stands out to me is the mention of THX 5.1 acoustic sound with every level of detail enabled. This is something that was not possible with 32-bit code alone, but with AMD64, it is now achievable. This shows the level of detail and immersion that can be achieved with this technology. It's exciting to think about the possibilities and how it will enhance the gaming experience for players.

Overall, I am impressed by the capabilities of AMD Athlon 64 technology and how it is pushing the boundaries of game design. I look forward to seeing what other advancements will be made in the gaming industry with the use of this technology. Congratulations to the team behind Shadow Ops: Red Mercury for being the first to showcase the potential of 64-bit gaming.

1. What is the significance of "Shadow Ops: Red Mercury" being the world's first 64-bit game?

The significance of "Shadow Ops: Red Mercury" being the world's first 64-bit game is that it was one of the first video games to utilize 64-bit technology, which allowed for better graphics, larger game worlds, and more complex gameplay. This made it a groundbreaking game in terms of technological advancement.

2. How does the 64-bit technology affect the gameplay experience?

The 64-bit technology allows for a more immersive and realistic gameplay experience. This is because it allows for more detailed graphics, larger and more complex game worlds, and more advanced artificial intelligence for NPCs.

3. What are the benefits of playing a 64-bit game?

The benefits of playing a 64-bit game include better graphics, more realistic gameplay, and larger and more complex game worlds. It also allows for smoother and more seamless gameplay due to the increased processing power.

4. Are there any drawbacks to playing a 64-bit game?

One potential drawback of playing a 64-bit game is that it may require more powerful hardware to run smoothly. This could make it inaccessible to some players who do not have the necessary equipment. Additionally, the larger file size of 64-bit games may require more storage space.

5. How has "Shadow Ops: Red Mercury" influenced the gaming industry?

"Shadow Ops: Red Mercury" has had a significant impact on the gaming industry, as it paved the way for future 64-bit games and set a new standard for graphics and gameplay. It also demonstrated the potential of 64-bit technology in creating more immersive and realistic gaming experiences.

Back