1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shankar, Ballentine or Zettili for a first book on QM?

1. Jul 30, 2012 #1
    All three seem to be loved, mathematically rigorous, and appropriate as undergraduate-level texts. I have a good knowledge of classical physics, ODEs and PDEs, linear algebra and multivar calculus, but no knowledge of analytical mechanics or QM. Some opinions on these or other recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2012 #2
    Zettili contains many solved problems and derivations are in general detailed, but it is short on explaining some/many important topics.
    A book that I had the pleasure in reading was:

https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Mech...id=1343664860&sr=8-1&keywords=konishi+paffuti

Its contains around 600 pages of chapters and a 200 pages appendix (an awesome appendix).
    I did supplement some parts of this book with Zettili's.

My own reviews of both can be found here:
    https://sites.google.com/site/muhanad/home/books

I am not a fan of Shankar's, gets me bored easily (kind of too wordy ?)
    I haven't used Bellentine's before.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jul 30, 2012 #3
    shankar of course

5. Jul 30, 2012 #4
    Zettilli is incredible. I would put it over Shankar.

6. Jul 30, 2012 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't venture myself anymore on suggestions as to which book to start with; I can say, however, that you should have Ballentine's book as a prime candidate for a second book on quantum mechanics.

7. Jul 31, 2012 #6
    Awesome, thanks for the replies!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook