QM books in order from easy to intermediate to hard

In summary, the conversation was about recommended textbooks for quantum mechanics and related topics. Griffiths was mentioned as a decent, solid book for undergraduate level, but the speaker did not personally like it. Other recommendations included Townsend for a modern approach and stepping stone towards quantum information, and Cohen-Tannoudji for its clarity and comprehensive coverage. Shankar and Sakurai were also mentioned as potential textbooks for quantum mechanics. The conversation also touched on textbooks that cover time dependence, such as Cohen-Tannoudji, and the use of time-dependent perturbation theory in textbooks.
Waxterzz
So far I got:

Griffiths => easy, ok it's not so easy,not really what I ment, but it covers the basics without going much into the real deeper algebraïc stuff, emphasis on calculus, that's what I mean with easy, I mean a decent, solid book for undergraduate level.

But suppose I tackle Griffiths and I want a deeper understanding after that, what book should I read then.

Shankar? Sakurai? That book from Dirac? Cohen-Tannoudji Vol 1?

If I complete at least one of these, and I want to take a grasp on beginning Relativistic QM or maybe QFT. Or a different direction and Quantum Entanglement /Quantum Information or Path Integral formulation, what should I do then?

Oh, and most beginning books, they say: let's take an Hamiltonian that is not time-dependent, what if the Hamiltion is time dependent, what books should I read then?

Physics news on Phys.org
One book that I like which is more advanced than Griffiths, but not at the level of Sakurai, is J. S. Townsend http://www.palgrave.com/page/detail/A-Modern-Approach-to-Quantum-Mechanics/?sf1=barcode&st1=9781891389788 . What I like about it is that it is indeed a "modern approach," and a good stepping stone towards quantum information. It also has things that are missing from Sakurai, like the density matrix and path integrals. I also like Cohen-Tannoudji.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71 and dextercioby
Waxterzz said:
Griffiths => easy, ok it's not so easy,not really what I ment, but it covers the basics without going much into the real deeper algebraïc stuff, emphasis on calculus, that's what I mean with easy, I mean a decent, solid book for undergraduate level.
Maybe unlike most others, I don't like this book very much and found it difficult to read and learn from. It shuns formalism, often to the detriment of clarity. The author tries too hard to achieve a casual style and sometimes behaves like a painfully uncomical comedian.
DrClaude said:
I also like Cohen-Tannoudji.
I second this. From what I remember from the time I still studied physics, I found this set unusually (unphysically? :wink:) clear and pleasant to read, although I only consulted parts of it to complement a second course in quantum mechanics. It also seems very comprehensive. Based on my limited experience, I would recommend it.

Likes vanhees71
When any of the textbooks treat time dependence, they usually use their sections on Time dependent- Perturbation Theory.

I think I like Shankar, but when I studied QM in grad school, they used Sakurai. I felt Cohen -Tannoudji too encyclopedic, about 2000 total pages in both volumes.(?)

1. What is the best QM book for beginners?

The best QM book for beginners is "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths. It is written in a clear and accessible manner, making it easy for readers with no prior knowledge of quantum mechanics to understand.

2. Can you recommend an intermediate level QM book?

"Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili is a highly recommended intermediate level QM book. It covers a wide range of topics and includes numerous examples and exercises to help readers deepen their understanding.

3. What is the most challenging QM book for advanced readers?

"Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by Ramamurti Shankar is considered the most challenging QM book for advanced readers. It requires a strong background in mathematics and physics, and covers advanced topics such as quantum field theory.

4. Are there any QM books that combine theory with practical applications?

"Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" by David A. B. Miller is a great choice for readers interested in the practical applications of quantum mechanics. It covers both the fundamental theory and its applications in various fields such as optics, electronics, and nanotechnology.

5. Are there any QM books that cater specifically to non-scientific readers?

"The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene is a popular QM book that is written for non-scientific readers. It introduces the concepts of quantum mechanics and its relation to the universe in a way that is easy to understand for those without a scientific background.