1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum QM books in order from easy to intermediate to hard

1. Nov 9, 2015 #1
    So far I got:

Griffiths => easy, ok it's not so easy,not really what I ment, but it covers the basics without going much into the real deeper algebraïc stuff, emphasis on calculus, that's what I mean with easy, I mean a decent, solid book for undergraduate level.

But suppose I tackle Griffiths and I want a deeper understanding after that, what book should I read then.

Shankar? Sakurai? That book from Dirac? Cohen-Tannoudji Vol 1?

If I complete at least one of these, and I want to take a grasp on beginning Relativistic QM or maybe QFT. Or a different direction and Quantum Entanglement /Quantum Information or Path Integral formulation, what should I do then?

Oh, and most beginning books, they say: let's take an Hamiltonian that is not time-dependent, what if the Hamiltion is time dependent, what books should I read then?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

One book that I like which is more advanced than Griffiths, but not at the level of Sakurai, is J. S. Townsend http://www.palgrave.com/page/detail/A-Modern-Approach-to-Quantum-Mechanics/?sf1=barcode&st1=9781891389788 [Broken]. What I like about it is that it is indeed a "modern approach," and a good stepping stone towards quantum information. It also has things that are missing from Sakurai, like the density matrix and path integrals. I also like Cohen-Tannoudji.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Nov 10, 2015 #3

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Maybe unlike most others, I don't like this book very much and found it difficult to read and learn from. It shuns formalism, often to the detriment of clarity. The author tries too hard to achieve a casual style and sometimes behaves like a painfully uncomical comedian.
    I second this. From what I remember from the time I still studied physics, I found this set unusually (unphysically? :wink:) clear and pleasant to read, although I only consulted parts of it to complement a second course in quantum mechanics. It also seems very comprehensive. Based on my limited experience, I would recommend it.

5. Nov 25, 2015 #4
    When any of the textbooks treat time dependence, they usually use their sections on Time dependent- Perturbation Theory.

I think I like Shankar, but when I studied QM in grad school, they used Sakurai. I felt Cohen -Tannoudji too encyclopedic, about 2000 total pages in both volumes.(?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted