Shape of an Electric Potential?

In summary, the question asks for the shape of the electric potential around an isolated electric charge, with options of circular, square, oval, no specific shape, and triangle. The correct answer is spherical, but in 2 dimensions, circular would also be appropriate. The other options are 2D objects. However, the question itself is ambiguous and can be interpreted in different ways.
TitaniumX

Homework Statement

Hi. I'm doing some practice problems to prepare for an upcoming exam, and I encountered this question:

What is the shape of the electric potential around an isolated electric charge?
a. Circular
b. Square
c. Oval
d. No specific shape
e. Triangle

This is an odd question. I know it's not square, oval, or triangle. Would it be circular or spherical shape? So would (a) or (d) be a more appropriate answer? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Spherical, but if you restrict the analysis to 2 dimensions, "circular" would fit. The other answers are 2D-objects, too.
It is an odd question, I agree.

It's not even entirely clear what would be meant by the 'shape' of a potential. Given the offered answers, I suppose they must mean the shape of the equipotential surfaces, but if you were to think of the potential as a scalar plotted against distance from the charge the answer would be quite different.

1. What is an electric potential?

The electric potential is the amount of work needed to move a unit charge from one point to another in an electric field, typically measured in volts.

2. How is the shape of an electric potential determined?

The shape of an electric potential is determined by the distribution of electric charges in the surrounding space. Electric potential is a scalar quantity, so it does not have a specific direction, but it can vary in magnitude depending on the location and distribution of charges.

3. What factors affect the shape of an electric potential?

The shape of an electric potential can be affected by the amount and distribution of electric charges, the distance between the charges, and the type of material in which the charges are located.

4. How is the shape of an electric potential related to electric fields?

The electric potential is related to electric fields through the equation V = -∫E∙ds, where V is the electric potential, E is the electric field, and ds is the distance over which the charge is moved. Electric fields point in the direction of decreasing electric potential.

5. Can the shape of an electric potential change over time?

Yes, the shape of an electric potential can change over time if the distribution of electric charges changes. This can occur, for example, if charges are added or removed from the system, or if the charges are moving. In addition, the shape of an electric potential can also be affected by external factors such as changing magnetic fields.