1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shape of an Electric Potential?

1. Apr 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi. I'm doing some practice problems to prepare for an upcoming exam, and I encountered this question:

What is the shape of the electric potential around an isolated electric charge?
    a. Circular
    b. Square
    c. Oval
    d. No specific shape
    e. Triangle

This is an odd question. I know it's not square, oval, or triangle. Would it be circular or spherical shape? So would (a) or (d) be a more appropriate answer? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Spherical, but if you restrict the analysis to 2 dimensions, "circular" would fit. The other answers are 2D-objects, too.
    It is an odd question, I agree.

4. Apr 25, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's not even entirely clear what would be meant by the 'shape' of a potential. Given the offered answers, I suppose they must mean the shape of the equipotential surfaces, but if you were to think of the potential as a scalar plotted against distance from the charge the answer would be quite different.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted