Sharing published work on free websites

In summary, if you are not trying to profit from the work, you are free to share your published work online using Researchgate. However, you should not share the version that was edited or formatted by the journal.
rwooduk
I've just published my first article through Elsevier. Very pleased as its a review and had a good response.

Anyway, I also have a Researchgate account. What is the situation for me uploading my published research to Researchgate so people can read it for free?

I've noticed several popular authors who are experts in the field often upload their work to their own website so people can download it for free.

What's the best way to go about this?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
What does your publishing agreement with Elsevier allow you to do, in regards to digital distribution?

jtbell said:
What does your publishing agreement with Elsevier allow you to do, in regards to digital distribution?

hmm, didnt know there was such a thing. I looked it up and it says sharing for academic purposes is okay so I guess it's fine on researchgate!

thanks for the point in the right direction!

You should submit it to arXiv if it is allowed (I think it is for most journals but I've never had experience with Elsevier).

arXiv is my first choice for reliable hosting and wide availability.

More people who cite my work found it on arXiv than in the original journals.

Also, I get more news reports and inquiries on papers after I post to arXiv than after they are published in the journals.

Likes rwooduk
rwooduk said:
I've just published my first article through Elsevier. Very pleased as its a review and had a good response.

Anyway, I also have a Researchgate account. What is the situation for me uploading my published research to Researchgate so people can read it for free?

I've noticed several popular authors who are experts in the field often upload their work to their own website so people can download it for free.

What's the best way to go about this?

Thanks in advance!

Congratulation on getting published! My stuff ends up on Researchgate automatically... even all the book reviews. As far as I know, you are free to put PDFs of your own (peer-reviewed, published, etc) work online if you are not trying to profit from it- 'fair use' and all that One important exception (AFAIK) is if the work is 'embargoed' by the Journal.

Likes rwooduk
Note that whereas most journals (all?) are OK with you uploading your manuscript (pre-print) to e.g. the arXiv, not all of them are OK with you uploading the published version. That is, they don't want you "using" the work they've put into e.g. formatting and editing the article. This is especially true if the journal has e.g. edited or created illustrations (although this generally only happens if you publish in Nature or Science) where they obviously retain copyright,.

Hence, the rule of the thumb is that it is OK to share the version you submitted to the journal; but not the version that was eventually published.

Likes rwooduk

What are the benefits of sharing published work on free websites?

Sharing published work on free websites can increase the visibility and reach of your research, making it more accessible to a wider audience. It also allows for easier collaboration and feedback from other researchers, potentially leading to new insights and opportunities for future work.

Are there any potential drawbacks to sharing published work on free websites?

One potential drawback is the risk of plagiarism or copyright infringement. Additionally, sharing work on free websites may not be recognized as a legitimate form of publication by some institutions or funding agencies.

How do I ensure that my work is properly cited and credited when shared on free websites?

You can include a clear citation and license information on the website where your work is shared. You can also use digital object identifiers (DOIs) or other persistent identifiers to make it easier for others to properly cite your work.

Can I share all types of published work on free websites?

It is important to check the copyright policies of the journal or publisher where your work was originally published. Some may have restrictions on sharing preprints or final versions of published work on free websites.

Are there any alternative ways to share my work online?

Yes, there are several other platforms and repositories specifically designed for sharing research, such as institutional repositories or subject-specific databases. These may have different policies and features compared to free websites, so it is important to research and choose the best option for your work.