Shear stress at centroid vs other point

In summary, the student is having trouble with calculating the shear stress at point E and the centroid. They have found that the shear stress at the centroid is smaller than at point E, which may be due to the sharp decrease in thickness at the webs interface at point E. They question if this is a possible error in the given question.
fonseh
[ Mod Note: moving this to Physics H/W ]

Homework Statement

for this question , I'm having problem with the shear stress at point E and shear stress at centorid.
normally , the shear stress at the centoid will be maximum .

But , in my working , I found that the shear stress at the centroid is smaller than the shear stress at E. What's wrong with the working ?

i get y coordinates of centorid = 66.7mm
For Ixx , i get (5.00x10^-5)(m^4) , For V(shear force ) , I use (437.5x10^3)N

For shear stress at centroid , i use formula of $$\tau = V(Q) / It $$

so at centroid , Q = (66.67x10^-3)(160x10^-3)(66.67x10^-3 / 2 ) = 3.56x10^-4
so $$\tau $$= (437.5x10^3)(3.56x10^-4) / (5.00x10^-5)(160x10^-3) = 1.9x 10^7 Pa

at E , Q = Ay = (40x10^-3)(80x10^-3)(53.33x10^-3)**(2)** = 3.41x10^-4

so , $$\tau $$= (437.5x10^3)(3.41x10^-4) / (5.00x10^-5)(80x10^-3) = 3.6x 10^7 Pa

For Q at E i have labelled it with the orange part ,
for Q at centroid , i have labelled it with the green part ...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

Attachments

• edited.jpg
    edited.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_20161106_140404.jpg
    IMG_20161106_140404.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 417
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Aything wrong with the question given ?
I'm getting the shear stress at centroid lower than the other point ( point E ) , is it possible ?

Or the question gt error
?

Last edited:
Yes it is possible because the thickness at the centroid is large. At point E there is a sharp decrease in shear stress due to the sharp increase in thickness at the webs interface.

Likes fonseh

What is shear stress at centroid?

Shear stress at centroid is a measure of the force per unit area that acts parallel to the cross-section of an object at its centroid. It is caused by the internal forces of the object and is a key factor in understanding its structural integrity.

How is shear stress at centroid different from shear stress at other points?

Shear stress at centroid is different from shear stress at other points because it is a specific point on an object where the shear stress is at its maximum. At other points, the shear stress may vary and be lower than at the centroid.

What factors affect the shear stress at centroid?

The factors that affect the shear stress at centroid are the shape and size of the object, the type of material it is made of, and the external forces acting on it. The distribution of internal forces within the object also plays a role.

Why is shear stress at centroid important in structural analysis?

Shear stress at centroid is important in structural analysis because it helps determine the stability and strength of an object. It is also used in the design process to ensure that the object can withstand the expected forces and maintain its structural integrity.

Can shear stress at centroid be calculated for any shape?

Shear stress at centroid can be calculated for any shape as long as the shape is symmetrical and the material properties are known. For irregular or non-symmetrical shapes, the concept of shear flow is used to determine the shear stress at centroid.