Shear stress at the boundary of beam

In summary: How do you know that ? It's a concept or we need to do the caluclation to know it ? Is it possible to know it without calculation ?Regardless of calculation of shear stress at G, it should be the same no matter which method...you are right, the sum of both the longitudinal shear stress (due to vert shear stress in flange)and long shear stress (due to horiz she
fonseh

Homework Statement

We all know that $$\tau = VQ/ It $$
how to determine the shear stress at **G** ?
I'm having problem of finding Ay
centroid if the solid that i found earlier is y = 98.5mm

There's a dashed line from G to the bottom . It's making me confused . for Q , should i consider the area either to the left or right of the G ? like the red and orange part

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so , my working is
Q = Ay = (250x10^-3)(50x10^-3)( 50+125-98)(10^-3) = 9.63x10^-4

Is my concept correct ?
I'm considering the area above the G .
[/B]

Attachments

• DSC_0049.JPG
    DSC_0049.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 339
  • dsc0050.jpg
    dsc0050.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 351
  • dsc0051.png
    dsc0051.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
fonseh said:

Homework Statement

We all know that $$\tau = VQ/ It $$
how to determine the shear stress at **G** ?
I'm having problem of finding Ay
centroid if the solid that i found earlier is y = 98.5mm

There's a dashed line from G to the bottom . It's making me confused . for Q , should i consider the area either to the left or right of the G ? like the red and orange part

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so , my working is
Q = Ay = (250x10^-3)(50x10^-3)( 50+125-98)(10^-3) = 9.63x10^-4

Is my concept correct ?
I'm considering the area above the G . [/B]
Yes, excellent work, that is the best way to do it. If the flanges were thinner, you could use the orange area and calculate the horizontal shear stress in the lower flange, and get the same result, but that doesn't work well for thick flanges, so your method and answer is correct, except you used 98 instead of 98.5 on your calc, no big deal.

Likes fonseh
why
PhanthomJay said:
Yes, excellent work, that is the best way to do it. If the flanges were thinner, you could use the orange area and calculate the horizontal shear stress in the lower flange, and get the same result, but that doesn't work well for thick flanges, so your method and answer is correct, except you used 98 instead of 98.5 on your calc, no big deal.
there's a dashed line over there ? it makes me confused ...

fonseh said:
why

there's a dashed line over there ? it makes me confused ...
Yes it is confusing. If you use the area to the right of the dashed line and calculate Q using that area times the distance from its centroid to the horizontal neutral axis , you calculate the horizontal shear stress , but this calculation does not include the vertical shear stress in that flange,which although small, adds to the shear stress value.

PhanthomJay said:
Yes it is confusing. If you use the area to the right of the dashed line and calculate Q using that area times the distance from its centroid to the horizontal neutral axis , you calculate the horizontal shear stress , but this calculation does not include the vertical shear stress in that flange,which although small, adds to the shear stress value.
It's not stated in the question , right ? How to know what to find ? vertical shear stress or horizontal shear stress ?

fonseh said:
It's not stated in the question , right ? How to know what to find ? vertical shear stress or horizontal shear stress ?
The shear stress in the green area is vertical only, with its complimentary longitudinal shear stress. The shear stress in the orange area is both vertical/longitudinal and horizontal/longitudinal, which, when summed properly, should in theory equal the longitudinal shear stress calculated for the green area at G.

Likes fonseh
PhanthomJay said:
he shear stress in the orange area is both vertical/longitudinal and horizontal/longitudinal, which, when summed properly, should in theory equal the longitudinal shear stress calculated for the green area at G.
Do you mean the sum of both vertical shear stress and horizontal shear stress = vertical shear stress of green part ?

fonseh said:
Do you mean the sum of both vertical shear stress and horizontal shear stress = vertical shear stress of green part ?
yes, which is the same as saying that the sum of both the longitudinal shear stress (due to vert shear stress in flange)and long shear stress (due to horiz shear stress in flange) is equal to the long shear stress in green part (due to vert shear stress in green part).

Likes fonseh
PhanthomJay said:
yes, which is the same as saying that the sum of both the longitudinal shear stress (due to vert shear stress in flange)and long shear stress (due to horiz shear stress in flange) is equal to the long shear stress in green part (due to vert shear stress in green part).
How do you know that ? It's a concept or we need to do the caluclation to know it ? Is it possible to know it without calculation ?

Regardless of calculation of shear stress at G, it should be the same no matter which method is used. But it is a lot easier to use the green area for the calc, as it avoids the complications that you get when using the orange area. If the flange was thin, say 5 mm instead of 50 mm, then either method could be used without complication, because there would essentially be no vert shear stress in flange. But the flange is not thin here, so your original method using the green area is best.

Last edited:
Likes fonseh
PhanthomJay said:
Regardless of calculation of shear stress at G, it should be the same no matter which method is used. But it is a lot easier to use the green area for the calc, as it avoids the complications that you get when using the green area. If the flange was thin, say 5 mm instead of 50 mm, then either method could be used without complication, because there would essentially be no vert shear stress in flange. But the flange is not thin here, so your original method using the green area is best.
Can you explain why when the flange is thin , the vertical shear stress in the flange can be ignored ?

well, shear stress is (VQ/It), and Q is A(y_bar) ,and since with a thin flange Q is rather small since A is so small, and since t is rather large since you use the flange width, b, for the t value, then the shear stress is very small since A is small and t is large. look at a wide flange I beam for example, you can see how small is the vert shear stress in the flange, it then sharply increases in the web at the web interface since now t is web thickness instead of b flange width.

1. What is shear stress at the boundary of a beam?

Shear stress at the boundary of a beam refers to the force that is applied parallel to the surface of the beam at its edges or boundaries. It is a result of the internal forces within the beam and can cause deformation or failure of the beam if it exceeds a certain limit.

2. How is shear stress at the boundary of a beam calculated?

Shear stress at the boundary of a beam can be calculated using the equation τ = VQ/It, where τ is the shear stress, V is the shear force, Q is the first moment of the area, I is the moment of inertia, and t is the thickness of the beam.

3. What are the units of shear stress at the boundary of a beam?

The units of shear stress at the boundary of a beam are typically expressed in force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (Pa).

4. How does the shape of the beam affect shear stress at the boundary?

The shape of the beam can affect shear stress at the boundary in several ways. A beam with a rectangular cross-section will experience higher shear stress at its edges compared to a circular beam with the same dimensions. Additionally, a beam with a larger moment of inertia will have lower shear stress at its boundary compared to a beam with a smaller moment of inertia.

5. What are some factors that can increase shear stress at the boundary of a beam?

Some factors that can increase shear stress at the boundary of a beam include an increase in the applied load, a decrease in the thickness of the beam, and an increase in the length of the beam. Additionally, the presence of sharp corners or edges can also lead to higher shear stress at the boundary.