Find an expression for the shear stress of this figure

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
naji0044
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Template is shown.
Summary: I have trouble to define the y distance in my coordinatesystem

1565209715764.png


I need to find an expression for the shear stress on the I figure, where the green parabola illustrates the function. I made a cut, where I defined the length from the start of figure I to the cut as z1. The formula for calculating the shear stress:
τ=V*Q/I*t
V=183 kN (Shear)
Q=A*y
I=804.95*10^6 mm^4 (inertiamoment)
t=20 mm (thickness)

Ignore the II figure. My problem is on Q=A*y

The area A of the figure on my analyze is:
A=t*(400-z1)

The y distance confuses me and from the assignment, the center of the gravity is `y=368.44 mm. So my thought is that the distance from the center of the figure I and the `y=368.44 mm is expressed:
y=(400mm/2 - z1 - 368.44 mm)

So my function of shear stress is:

τ=183*10^3N* (t*(400-z1)) * (400mm/2 - z1 - 368.44 mm) / I * t

I think my y distance is wrong so would appreciate if someone could explain me how it is suppose to be.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I’m not sure of your signage, but the math error is that you forgot to divide z1 by 2 in your expression for y. Also the parabolic green curve is not correctly shown.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: naji0044