Shear stress at different points

In summary: The shear stress values are not continuous for an I-beam due to the change in width between the flange and the thickness of the web.Since ##\tau = \frac{VQ}{I⋅t}##the flange produces a certain value of Q while I is fixed for the cross-section. The shear force V is given. When calculating ##\tau## at the junction of the flange and web, one must first take the width of the flange for t and then the thickness of the web. Since these two values of t are very different, so will be the calculated values of ##\tau##.
chetzread

Homework Statement

in the formula of shear stress, t is the width of member's cross sectional area calculated about neutral axis.
for τc , why t is 6.4 ? Why not 102.1 ?
second question, why we have to consider that specific area? Cant we consider the (red) area?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

IMO, t for τc is 102.1

Attachments

• 327.jpg
    327.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 381
  • 328.jpg
    328.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have a PDF on sheer stress. This PDF will answer all your questions. But I don't know how to send it.

shina said:
I have a PDF on sheer stress. This PDF will answer all your questions. But I don't know how to send it.

Its easy to upload a file via the upload button when you post to the thread.

PLEASE make though that the pdf does not contain the answer to the OP's post as we can only help with hints and not actual solutions.

jedishrfu said:

PLEASE make though that the pdf does not contain the answer to the OP's post as we can only help with hints and not actual solutions.
Can you help? btw, here's the file that I received from @shina

Attachments

• Lecture8_TRANSVERSE LOADING-3.pdf
    691.9 KB · Views: 1,637
chetzread said:
Can you help? btw, here's the file that I received from @shina
Yaa as you was interested in that PDF I send it to you. It contains only hints which are related to your question. I am little bit perplexed what you reply. I am not getting what are you trying to say. You are not able to open that PDF or what you really want to ask

i still don't understand , can anybody help ?

t is the thickness of the area above region B , right ? since B and C are on the same x-axis level , so the area in the calculation of τc is same as τB , right ? so t(thickness) = 102.1 ?

jedishrfu said:

ok, now i understand a few things now...
But, the t in τc is confusing...
When τc act at the web , it would be 6.4, when it act at the flange , it will be 102.1, right?
But, the question doesn't tell it act on the web or flange, how to identify it?

bump,
When τc act at the web , it would be 6.4, when it act at the flange , it will be 102.1, right?

chetzread said:
bump,
The problem clearly states that the student is to sketch the distribution of shear stress along the cross section of the beam. This implies finding the shear stress in the beam everywhere from the upper flange to the centroid.

The shear stress values are not continuous for an I-beam due to the change in width between the flange and the thickness of the web.

Since ##\tau = \frac{VQ}{I⋅t}##

the flange produces a certain value of Q while I is fixed for the cross-section. The shear force V is given. When calculating ##\tau## at the junction of the flange and web, one must first take the width of the flange for t and then the thickness of the web. Since these two values of t are very different, so will be the calculated values of ##\tau##.

SteamKing said:
The problem clearly states that the student is to sketch the distribution of shear stress along the cross section of the beam. This implies finding the shear stress in the beam everywhere from the upper flange to the centroid.

The shear stress values are not continuous for an I-beam due to the change in width between the flange and the thickness of the web.

Since ##\tau = \frac{VQ}{I⋅t}##

the flange produces a certain value of Q while I is fixed for the cross-section. The shear force V is given. When calculating ##\tau## at the junction of the flange and web, one must first take the width of the flange for t and then the thickness of the web. Since these two values of t are very different, so will be the calculated values of ##\tau##.
do you mean at B , the author mean the shear stress at flange ? at C , the author show the shear stress at web ? If so , the diagram is confusing ? at C , it could also represent the shear stress at web , right ?

chetzread said:
do you mean at B , the author mean the shear stress at flange ? at C , the author show the shear stress at web ? If so , the diagram is confusing ? at C , it could also represent the shear stress at web , right ?
Given the location of B, the shear stress there can only be the shear stress in the flange.

At C, since there is a connection between the flange and the web, depending on if you are a little above C or a little below, the shear stress will show the sudden change as indicated in the stress diagram for shear stress in the lowest portion of the flange versus the shear stress at the connection between the flange and the web.

Likes chetzread

1. What is shear stress at different points?

Shear stress at different points is a measure of the force per unit area that acts parallel to the surface of a material, causing it to deform or break.

2. How is shear stress at different points calculated?

Shear stress at different points is calculated by dividing the force applied parallel to the surface of the material by the area of the surface it is acting upon.

3. What factors affect shear stress at different points?

Shear stress at different points can be affected by the type of material, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, and the geometry of the surface.

4. What are some examples of shear stress at different points in real-world applications?

Examples of shear stress at different points can be seen in the bending of a beam under load, the deformation of a car tire while driving, and the movement of tectonic plates in the Earth's crust.

5. How does shear stress at different points relate to viscosity?

Shear stress at different points is directly related to the viscosity of a material. The greater the viscosity, the greater the resistance to shearing forces and thus, the higher the shear stress at different points.