Exploring Forces in SHM: F=-kx & Weight's Impact

• Thread starter linyen416
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shm
In summary, SHM assumes that the only force acting on the system is the restorative force from the springs, represented by F = -kx. However, in a real-life scenario, there may be other forces present, such as air resistance and friction from the weight of the object. These additional forces may cause the system to deviate from true SHM, resulting in extra damping and a decrease in amplitude over time. It is more accurate to explain the non-closed system quality by considering the friction introduced by the weight pushing down, rather than the weight force acting in a different vector component than the force from the springs. When using amplitude-time graphs to calculate b, the increase in mass will result in an increase in b due to
linyen416
SHM --> F = -kx

SHM assumes that F is the only force acting on the system, so if we have a mass held between two springs on a linear air track, the F = -kx
force refers to the restoring force from the springs?

Is that the only thing it refers to? What about air resistance as the gliding object travels horizontally along the air track?

I've noticed also that the weight of the gliding object introduces friction so it's not exactly a closed system, could I explain this by saying that this is because F = -kx which acts horizontally, is perpendicular to the force of the weight? So F = -kx does not accoutn for the friction introduced by weight?

Or am I wrong to say that becase the friction introduced by the weight is acting horizontally as well?

I'm confounded.

Physics news on Phys.org
linyen416 said:
Or am I wrong to say that becase the friction introduced by the weight is acting horizontally as well?

Hi linyen416! :smile:

Yes, the friction is horizontal.

But it's very small, so the motion will be very very nearly SHM (just like an ordinary pendulum, for example). :smile:

so I shouldn't explain the 'unlcosed-system' quality by saying that the wt force acts in a different vector componenet as the force from springs, but rather I should explain it by saying that the friction is introduced by the weight pushing down, so it's not exactly closed?

so to clear things up:
F = -kx refers to restorative force from springs
F = -bv refers to the air resistance as the glider moves along

and so if we use our amplitude -time graphs to calculated b, we should find that as m increases, b increases because the non-closed system causes extra friction to be introduced, therefore extra damping other than just air restistance.

1. What is SHM and how does it relate to forces?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around a fixed equilibrium point. This motion is caused by a restoring force, which is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium. In other words, as the object moves away from its equilibrium, there is a force that pulls it back towards it. This force is known as the force of elasticity, and it is described by Hooke's Law as F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

2. What is the significance of F = -kx in SHM?

F = -kx is a crucial equation in understanding SHM as it relates the force of elasticity to the displacement of an object. This equation shows that the force is directly proportional to the displacement, meaning that the greater the displacement, the greater the force. This is what causes the object to oscillate back and forth around its equilibrium point in SHM.

3. How does weight impact SHM?

Weight is a force that is always acting on an object due to gravity. In SHM, weight can impact the motion of an object by either adding to or subtracting from the force of elasticity. If the weight is acting in the same direction as the force of elasticity, it will add to it and increase the amplitude of the oscillations. If the weight is acting in the opposite direction, it will subtract from the force of elasticity and decrease the amplitude of the oscillations.

4. How does the spring constant affect SHM?

The spring constant, represented by the variable k in the equation F = -kx, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. In SHM, a higher spring constant means that the spring is stiffer, and therefore the force of elasticity will be greater for a given displacement. This results in a higher amplitude of oscillations. On the other hand, a lower spring constant means that the spring is less stiff, and the force of elasticity will be smaller, resulting in a lower amplitude of oscillations.

5. Can other factors besides weight impact SHM?

Yes, there are other factors that can impact SHM, including the mass of the object, the angle at which the restoring force is acting, and any external forces acting on the object. These factors can change the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations, and they are important to consider when studying SHM in more complex systems.