Shock Waves Traveling to the Ground from a Jet

In summary, the angle of a shock wave produced by a jet flying at an altitude of 3300 m is 43 degrees. To determine the time it takes for the sonic boom to reach the ground, 3300 m should be divided by the sine of 43 degrees, which results in approximately 14 seconds. However, this calculation may not be accurate as the shock wave is a cone trailing behind the airplane. The relationship between the speed of the plane and the angle of the shock wave may affect the accuracy of the calculation.
Barry Melby
A jet flying directly over you at an altitude of 3300 m produces a shock wave. The angle of the shock wave is 43 degrees. How long will it be until the sonic boom reaches you? How far does the jet travel during this time interval?

I know that I can figure out the second part of this problem if I get the first part, but I am not getting the correct answer for the first part.

For the first part I took 3300/sin(43) to get the total distance for the sound to travel to the ground. I then took this number and divided it by 343 m/s (speed of sound) to get approximately 14 seconds, but this appears to be wrong. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The shock wave is a cone traveling with and trailing behind the airplane.

Please don't delete the HW template when posting a HW thread.

What's the relationship between the speed of the plane and the angle of the shock wave?

What causes shock waves to travel to the ground from a jet?

Shock waves are created when an object, such as a jet, moves through the air faster than the speed of sound. As the jet travels, it compresses the air in front of it, creating a high-pressure wave. When this wave reaches the ground, it can create a loud noise and cause vibrations.

How far can shock waves from a jet travel?

The distance shock waves from a jet can travel depends on several factors, including the altitude of the jet, the speed of the jet, and atmospheric conditions. In general, shock waves can travel several miles before dissipating.

Are shock waves from jets harmful?

Shock waves from jets can cause loud noises and vibrations, but they are not considered harmful to humans at a safe distance. However, they can be damaging to structures and buildings close to the jet's flight path.

What is the impact of shock waves from jets on the environment?

Shock waves from jets can contribute to noise pollution and can also affect wildlife, such as birds, by causing them to fly off course or disrupting their communication and migration patterns.

Can shock waves from jets be reduced or eliminated?

Scientists and engineers are constantly working to reduce the impact of shock waves from jets on the environment and communities. This includes designing quieter jet engines and implementing flight patterns and regulations to minimize the effects of shock waves.