Speed of Jet Plane - Solving the Problem

In summary, the conversation is discussing the relationship between the altitude, speed of sound, and speed of a jet plane based on the assumption that the sound travels a distance vT and the plane travels a distance v_s*T before the sound is heard. By assuming that h^2=(vT)^2+(v_s*T)^2, the identity v_s=hv/sqrt(h^2-v^2*T^2) can be derived. The conversation also includes a request for insight on the geometric significance of this assumption. The other person suggests drawing a diagram to determine the hypotenuse, indicating that Pythagoras' theorem may be applicable.
Von Neumann
Problem:

You see a jet plane flying and you think that it is flying at a constant altitude h. Say you hear the sonic boom at a time t after the plane passes directly overhead. Show that if the speed of sound v is the same at all altitudes, the speed of the plane is

v_s=hv/sqrt(h^2-v^2*T^2)

Partial Solution:

The sound travels a distance vT and the plane travels a distance v_s*T before the boom is found. Correct? However, I need to relate this to the height. If you assume h^2=(vT)^2+(v_s*T)^2. Since the speed of sound is the same at all altitude then the boom forms a perfect cone with angle θ with the ground. Then substituting in sinθ=v/v_s you can easily get the expression. However I don't fully understand the assumption h^2=(vT)^2+(v_s*T)^2 because geometrically it doesn't make sense to me. Any insight?

Physics news on Phys.org
Von Neumann said:
If you assume h^2=(vT)^2+(v_s*T)^2
Why would you assume that? Pythagoras wouldn't have.

haruspex said:
Why would you assume that? Pythagoras wouldn't have.
As I stated, with that assumption I get the identity as given. If you also go back and read the question, I ask for insight on the geometric significance of that assumption.

Von Neumann said:
As I stated, with that assumption I get the identity as given. If you also go back and read the question, I ask for insight on the geometric significance of that assumption.

Looks like my hint was too subtle. Draw the diagram on which you based that equation. Which is the hypotenuse?

Thank you for providing your partial solution. Your approach is correct in using the relationship between the distance traveled by the plane and the distance traveled by the sound to determine the speed of the plane. As for the assumption h^2=(vT)^2+(v_s*T)^2, this is based on the Pythagorean theorem which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (h) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides (vT and v_s*T). In this case, we are considering the triangle formed by the plane's flight path, the distance traveled by the sound, and the altitude of the plane. Therefore, this assumption is valid in determining the speed of the plane. I hope this helps clarify any confusion you may have had. Good luck with your problem-solving!

What is the speed of a jet plane?

The speed of a jet plane can vary depending on factors such as the type of jet plane, atmospheric conditions, and flight plan. However, on average, the cruising speed of a commercial jet plane is around 500-600 miles per hour.

How is the speed of a jet plane calculated?

The speed of a jet plane is calculated using the formula: speed = distance/time. In order to accurately calculate the speed of a jet plane, the distance traveled and the time it took to travel that distance must be known.

What factors can affect the speed of a jet plane?

The speed of a jet plane can be affected by various factors such as air temperature, wind speed and direction, air pressure, and altitude. These factors can impact the amount of resistance the jet plane experiences, which can ultimately affect its speed.

Can the speed of a jet plane be faster than the speed of sound?

Yes, some jet planes, such as supersonic or hypersonic jets, can travel faster than the speed of sound. This is known as supersonic or hypersonic speed and can reach up to Mach 5 or 5 times the speed of sound.

How does the speed of a jet plane compare to other modes of transportation?

The speed of a jet plane is significantly faster than other modes of transportation such as cars, trains, and boats. The average speed of a jet plane is around 500-600 miles per hour, while cars and trains typically travel at speeds of 60-70 miles per hour and boats at speeds of 20-30 miles per hour.