Short circuit's effect on a voltage source and a resistor

In summary, a short circuit would exist in this circuit between the resistor and voltage source, resulting in 0 volts being applied to the voltage source and no current flowing through the resistor.
garr6120
If I have a resistor and a voltage source in series but then I apply a short circuit in parallel to both of them would the voltage source and resistor not receive 0 V? Thus having 0 current. What would change in the circuit?

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 2.57.58 PM.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your description is not entirely clear to me, please draw the shorted circuit (and perhaps check if the voltage source is not burning).

Borek said:
Your description is not entirely clear to me, please draw the shorted circuit (and perhaps check if the voltage source is not burning).

Would the infinite current in the series circuit run through the transistor and voltage source causing them both to have a voltage value of 0?

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 3.12.26 PM.png

It seems like you have a very fundamental misunderstanding of circuitry...
the current through both elements is I=V/R : I=-15/4000

What you call shorting is just closing a circuit.

Likes NascentOxygen
garr6120 said:
infinite current

Do you really think there would be infinite current? Think in terms of the real world - even copper wires have some resistance, for example.

garr6120 said:
transistor

What transistor? Slow down and take things step by step.

The voltage source would ‘see’ a current path through the 4k resistor and through the short.

[an erroneous statement has been removed by a moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
garr6120 said:
then I apply a short circuit in parallel to both of them
There is a language ambiguity here, you need to be aware of it and modify your wording so as to eliminate any ambiguity. Taking it as you have written, most readers would probably think of an arrangement of 3 elements, all in parallel. The figure you provided differs from this, and clarifies what you [probably] intended. Though if this wording was provided for you as a homework question and without a schematic, then I think you may not have deduced the arrangement to be as the examiner actually intended.

A circuit comprising nothing else but a parallel connection of two elements is actually a series connection, because every electron passing through one must also pass through the other.

I must say I’m a little confused by the schematic in the OP - my interpretation was that the short, effectively across the 4k resistor, is denoted by the ground symbol at ‘0’. If this is the case, then my ‘erroneous’ statement stands (!).

@garr6120 needs to highlight the wire that is the short-circuit he's asking about

screen-shot-2017-10-09-at-3-12-26-pm-png.png

Likes jim hardy
garr6120 - the reason for the confusion is that the circuit currently shows a voltage source, resistor and wire all in series with each other.

The wire is parallel with the resistor and voltage _graphically_ but not _electrically_.

I agree with the other posters, there's no short circuit and there's no infinite (or even large) current.

We had a thread a while back about series and parallel connections that i think OP should study
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/series-and-parallel-components.920751/#post-5811195
i gave this example which is same as @garr6120 's circuit just different voltage and resistance
jim hardy said:
..some wise guy will hand you this

series_parallel2-jpg.jpg

and ask you
"Are that battery and that resistor in series or are they in parallel ?"

Perhaps garr6120 is confused by the ground symbol in his drawing.
It should be erased because no current flows there. I could add one to my sketch and nothing would change.
We have lots of threads on the concept (and misconceptions) of "ground" .

Downside of using spice for everything - people think every circuit needs a ground... argh...

Windadct said:
Downside of using spice for everything - people think every circuit needs a ground... argh...

I don’t use it for every circuit only ones that I use voltmeters for. Was to lazy to take it out

garr6120 said:
I don’t use it for every circuit only ones that I use voltmeters for. Was to lazy to take it out
So I was using artistic license in thinking that ground was the short?

Where was the short you intended - between 1 and 0?

1. How does a short circuit affect the voltage source?

A short circuit occurs when there is a low resistance connection between two points in a circuit. This causes a sudden increase in current flow, which can overload the voltage source and potentially damage it. In extreme cases, the voltage source may even fail completely.

2. Can a short circuit damage a resistor?

Yes, a short circuit can damage a resistor. When a short circuit occurs, the sudden increase in current flow can cause the resistor to overheat and potentially burn out. It is important to use resistors with the appropriate power rating to prevent this from happening.

3. How does a short circuit affect the current flow in a circuit?

A short circuit causes a sudden increase in current flow, as the low resistance connection allows for more electrons to flow through the circuit. This can lead to a significant increase in current, potentially causing damage to components and disrupting the proper functioning of the circuit.

4. What precautions should be taken to prevent short circuits?

To prevent short circuits, it is important to ensure that all connections in a circuit are secure and well-insulated. Components should also be properly rated for the voltage and current of the circuit. Using fuses or circuit breakers can also help protect against short circuits by interrupting the flow of current if it exceeds a certain level.

5. How can a short circuit be detected and resolved?

A short circuit can be detected by using a multimeter to measure the current flow in a circuit. If a short circuit is suspected, the circuit should be disconnected and each component should be checked for any signs of damage. The short circuit can then be resolved by repairing or replacing any damaged components, and ensuring that all connections are secure and insulated.