Should a 12 Year Old Have an Idea About His Future?

In summary, it is unrealistic to expect a 12 year old to know what they want to do with their life. Most colleges in the US defer selecting a major until sophomore year for this reason. Adults often ask this question to kids, but they are aware that interests change as one matures. It may be helpful to turn the question around and reflect on what one wanted to be when they were twelve and what they do now. As for the idea of being an engineer, there are many possibilities within that field and it is a great choice. The focus for now should be on excelling in school and taking advantage of opportunities.
Brainguy
Quick question, adults often ask me what I want to do when I grow up, and then seem a bit dissapointed when I say I don't know. Should a 12 year old boy have an idea about what he wants to do with his life? What I don't tell people, is that I kinda want to be an engineer. What do you think about that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Expecting 18 year olds to know what they want to do when they grow up is expecting too much. That's why most colleges in the US defer selection of a major until the sophomore year.

Expecting 12 year old kids to know what they want to do when they grow up is downright ridiculous.

Often that's just something that adults like to ask kids. Most adults are fairly well aware that your interests will change as you mature, so it's not like they can really hold you to an answer.

You might want to try turning the question around. "What did you want to be when you were twelve? What do you do now? Do you like what you do? If you could do things over again, what would you do differently?"

As for being an engineer - great! There are all sorts of directions you can go with that. For the present just concentrate on doing well in school and making the most of opportunities that come your way.

1. What are the benefits of a 12 year old having an idea about their future?

Having an idea about their future at a young age can help a 12 year old set goals and work towards them. It can also provide motivation and a sense of direction for their future education and career paths.

2. Is it normal for a 12 year old to have an idea about their future?

It is not uncommon for 12 year olds to have some thoughts or ideas about their future. However, it is important to remember that at this age, their ideas and interests may change as they continue to grow and develop.

3. How can parents encourage a 12 year old to think about their future?

Parents can encourage their 12 year old to think about their future by having open and supportive conversations about their interests, goals, and aspirations. They can also provide opportunities for their child to explore different career paths and interests through extracurricular activities or shadowing experiences.

4. What are some potential challenges for a 12 year old who has an idea about their future?

One potential challenge for a 12 year old with a clear idea about their future is feeling pressure to make that idea a reality. This can lead to stress and anxiety if they feel like they are not meeting their own expectations. It is important for parents and caregivers to support their child and remind them that it is okay to change their mind and explore different paths.

5. Can a 12 year old's idea about their future change over time?

Absolutely! It is normal for a 12 year old's interests and ideas about their future to change as they grow and have new experiences. It is important for parents and caregivers to support and encourage their child to explore different paths and find what truly interests and motivates them.