Should an engineering student play with Baby Rudin ?

In summary: Since you have access to a university library, you should also have access to more than one analysis book right? Take a look at some other books (use Google books or some other online source if necessary) and maybe choose a supplement. Ultimately you have to solve analysis problems on your own, and this is going to depend much less on probably rather pedantic concerns over your particular analysis... book selection.
╔(σ_σ)╝
I have heard a lot of wild things about the book. I am taking an intro to analysis course this semester and I am unsatisfied with the course text.

It is worth point out that my interest in pure mathematics far exceeds my skill; given the applied nature of engineering mathematics.

I don't consider my skill to be higher than the average math major.

What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
I have heard a lot of wild things about the book. I am taking an intro to analysis course this semester and I am unsatisfied with the course text.

It is worth point out that my interest in pure mathematics far exceeds my skill; given the applied nature of engineering mathematics.

I don't consider my skill to be higher than the average math major.

What do you guys think?

It's a great text with a good number of quality exercises. I think you should go ahead and schedule that play date.

Also, what text do they have you using? Baby Rudin is fantastic but there are other good ones too.

Newtime said:
It's a great text with a good number of quality exercises. I think you should go ahead and schedule that play date.

Also, what text do they have you using? Baby Rudin is fantastic but there are other good ones too.

The quality of the excersice may be too good for me. I am afraid the excersices may elude me.

We are using Introductory Real Analysis Frank Dangello and Michael Seyfried. The book, I think, is unheard off.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
The quality of the excersice may be too good for me. I am afraid the excersices may elude me.

We are using Introductory Real Analysis Frank Dangello and Michael Seyfried. The book, I think, is unheard off.

Well I haven't heard of it but that isn't saying a whole lot. Regarding the difficulty of some of the exercises: the harder it is the more you'll learn from attempting it, even if you don't end up solving it. That said, there are also a good amount of simpler exercises which follow almost immediately from a definition or theorem and a single trick or substitution etc.

Newtime said:
Well I haven't heard of it but that isn't saying a whole lot. Regarding the difficulty of some of the exercises: the harder it is the more you'll learn from attempting it, even if you don't end up solving it. That said, there are also a good amount of simpler exercises which follow almost immediately from a definition or theorem and a single trick or substitution etc.

That doesn't seem too bad. I picked up a copy at my school library.
I will definitely be asking PF members for help when I need it.

My only concern right now is if I will have enough time to mingle with the problems. Been as it is, I have 5 other engineering classes.

How did you find baby rudin initially?

What year are u? What other classes are you taking?

3rd Year.
Signals and systems
Microprocessors
Probality and Stochastic processes
Hmm.. Electronic circuits
And
Electromagnetism.

I've heard great things about Charles C. Pugh Real Mathematical Analysis. It seems to both cover slightly more material and everybody says its easier to learn from. Even if you don't pick Pugh I think Rudin is a terrible choice as lots of people have trouble with it and there are lenty of other options.

What does Pughs' book cover ? And in what order ?

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
I am taking an intro to analysis course this semester and I am unsatisfied with the course text.

With what aspects of the course text are you not satisfied?

George Jones said:
With what aspects of the course text are you not satisfied?

The presentation of some topics is a big problem for me. It isn't as thorough as I would like.
Some topics are given eye service rather than an in depth consideration.
The proofs are unnecessarily lengthy.

EDIT

It also carries an obscene price of $244+ dollars at my book store.

Last edited:
And you're basing these opinions on how much of the text you've read and absorbed? Okay so your bookstore is ripping you off. Go online and buy a used copy.

Most of these intro analysis texts are going to cover more or less the same material. Nobody wants to write a bad analysis text, and most of them probably reference Rudin anyways since it's been the standard since over a half a century ago.

Since you have access to a university library, you should also have access to more than one analysis book right? Take a look at some other books (use Google books or some other online source if necessary) and maybe choose a supplement. Ultimately you have to solve analysis problems on your own, and this is going to depend much less on probably rather pedantic concerns over your particular analysis text.

Well the price online it still too much.

I will take a look at other txts and perhaps see if I can find something I like.

1. Is "Baby Rudin" a toy or a book?

"Baby Rudin" refers to the textbook "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin. It is not a toy, but rather a highly respected and challenging book in the field of mathematics.

2. What is the benefit of an engineering student studying "Baby Rudin"?

Studying "Baby Rudin" can greatly improve an engineering student's critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also provides a strong foundation in mathematical analysis, which is essential for many engineering fields.

3. Is it necessary for an engineering student to study "Baby Rudin"?

No, it is not necessary for an engineering student to study "Baby Rudin" unless they have a specific interest or need for the material. It is not a required textbook for most engineering curriculums.

4. Are there any prerequisites for studying "Baby Rudin"?

Yes, a strong understanding of calculus and basic mathematical concepts is necessary for studying "Baby Rudin". Some familiarity with proofs and mathematical notation is also helpful.

5. How can an engineering student balance studying "Baby Rudin" with their other coursework?

It is important for an engineering student to prioritize their coursework and allocate appropriate time for studying "Baby Rudin". Breaking up study sessions into smaller chunks can also help with balancing the workload. Seeking help from a tutor or professor can also aid in understanding the material and managing time effectively.