1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should be easy question on column space of a matrix

1. Aug 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So the actual problem "Find the value of a for which the following system of linear equations has a solution"

2x + 4y + z = a
    -4x -7y + 0 = 1
    0 -1y -2z = 1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought one approach was to find a basis for the corresponding matrix and see what value of a would make that vector in the space formed by the basis. That is, see what value of a would make (a, 1, 1) in the range of the matrix.

But when I row reduce I get

2 4 1
    0 1 2
    0 0 0

So I want to say the 1st and 2cnd columns form a basis -> (2, -4, 0) and (4, -7, -1). But then some linear combination of these should equal (1, 0, -2). However, the first components of the basis appear to never be able to combine linearly to 1. That is there are no integers x,y such that 2x + 4y = 1 since -> x + 2y = 1/2.....? I feel like I must be making a really trivial mistake?!?!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2012 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Maybe you should show how you are row reducing. But first, ask yourself if there is any reason to think that there are any values of [itex]a[/itex] that would make it so there are no solutions.

4. Aug 19, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Row reduce the augmented matrix
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}2 & 4 & 1 & a \\ -4 & -7 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & -1 & -2 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    instead. That will tell you immediately what a should be.

So you want x and y such that 2x+ 4y= 1, -4x- 7y= 0, and -y= -2? From the last equation, y= 2 so the first two equations becom 2x+ 8= 1 and -4x- 14= 0. Both of thos equations reduce to 2x= -7.

5. Aug 19, 2012 #4
    Hmm, I was being really dumb and thinking that a scalar multiple had to be an integer, since as I was saying in the OP there are no integer solutions to 2x = -7. Thanks!

6. Aug 22, 2012 #5

uart

Science Advisor

Hi Fractal. Did you yet solve this problem? x = -7/2 is not a solution, so it doesn't look like you have really understood this one yet.

Row reduce the augmented matrix that Halls' suggested.

- For all values of "a" except one, there are no solutions.

- For this one particular value of "a" there are infinite solutions, which you should express parametrically.

7. Aug 22, 2012 #6
    Thanks for the look over! So the x = -7/2 bit was just in reference to expressing the 3rd column as a linear combination of the other two (-7/2 times the first plus 2 times the 2cnd gives the 3rd). The motivation for my original post was motivated by getting weirded out by thinking that my row reduction wasn't giving a basis for the range. I think I was able to get it from there, but I don't have my work anymore. Thanks again!

8. Aug 22, 2012 #7

uart

Science Advisor

Ok, I agree that "-7/2 times the first plus 2 times the 2nd gives the 3rd". But how exactly did that allow you to solve for "a"?

I think the easy way to solve it is to just row reduce the augmented matrix as suggested above. You should end up with something like,

\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & -7/2 & -7a/2 - 2 \\ 0 & 1 & 2 & 2a+1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 2a+2\end{bmatrix}
    from which you can conclude there are no solutions unless [itex]2a + 2 = 0[/itex].

Then you can subst in this value of "a" to express x,y and z parametrically. Like,

[itex]x = 3/2 + 7t/2[/itex]
    [itex]y = -1 -2t[/itex]
    [itex]z = t[/itex]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook