1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I apply for PhD / and what are my chances?

1. Sep 28, 2015 #1
    Hi

I'm a final year MSci student (kind of an undergrad masters) in physics and have been thinking about my next steps for a while now. I have a high 2:1 average from my first 3 years and I was just wondering if getting a PhD is realistic at all (what with all the impressive results other people come out with). My main interests lie in theoretical physics (field theories + gravity). I am neither a skilled programmer nor do I have an interest toward learning code. I am interested in pure theory. Any advise would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

M

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2015 #2
    If you plan on pursuing a PhD in physics you should probably find an interest in learning code...

4. Sep 28, 2015 #3

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Further to what Alexmer said, you should learn to code especially if you're interested in pure theory. There are many more theorists using supercomputers to run model codes than there are 'pen and paper' theorists. That's not to say you shouldn't do a PhD, but you will very likely find that you need to become a competent programmer along the way. In general, physicists aren't the most skilled programmers out there, but know enough to get the job done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook