Becoming an Engineer: Considerations and Personal Experiences

• Other
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: However, if you are genuinely interested in engineering, you should become an engineer regardless of what branch you study.End question: Should I become an engineer?Answer: If you see beauty and elegance in physics and calculus, then maybe you are on the right track; but, if it bores you to learn about how things work, how they are built, and how to make them better, then you probably do not want to become an engineer.
Dowland said:
From reading the first pages of this thread I kinda got the impression that engineering studies is mostly for those who have some sort of passion in knowing how things works technically. Is that the case? I'm probably majoring in engineering, starting next semester, and in my entire life I've almost never taken an interest in how things in my environment "works". I applied for engineering because I love mathematics and really enjoy physics and problem solving, and I want to use that to study something fun and get a fun (and hopefully well paid) job. Do any of you guys have any experience with people like me?

I appreciate all comments and apologize in beforehand for any language errors (I'm a european).

Engineering is great fun. However, it's not like physics or mathematics where most times problems are extremely abstract and idealized and there's always a "right" answer. Engineering is an approximate science, meaning that there is no right answer. Engineering requires mathematics and physics as basic tools in the analysis of systems. Let me tell you, systems are extremely complex. This leads to the situation where a lot of software dependence is required to analyze systems and understand how they are working. If you don't enjoy slow meticulous thinking, where most times a solution won't just come in a moment of clarity (like mathematics and physics), and back of envelope calculations, you may find engineering studies to be tedious and boring.

The first few semester of your engineering degree may involve a lot of physics and math and seem like a great fit for you. However your upper years will involve less mathematics and more system analysis. To enjoy engineering you must have or develop an interest in how the world around you works.

I enjoy engineering because it gives me the ability to see how other people are solving real life issues through the use of technology, and hopefully through analysis of their methods, come up with a method myself to improve society as a whole.

Physics news on Phys.org
well i created a topic for my prob but no reply came so i m askng my question here...
i am doing bach. tech (2nd sem) in electronics and communication engineering from Indian Institute of information technology, allahabad.

but i am very much interested in physics, especially in quantum mechanics.
so i would just like to know what are my chances of pursuing higher studies in physics like MS from India only?
and what its future

Last edited by a moderator:
Dowland said:
From reading the first pages of this thread I kinda got the impression that engineering studies is mostly for those who have some sort of passion in knowing how things works technically. Is that the case? I'm probably majoring in engineering, starting next semester, and in my entire life I've almost never taken an interest in how things in my environment "works". I applied for engineering because I love mathematics and really enjoy physics and problem solving, and I want to use that to study something fun and get a fun (and hopefully well paid) job. Do any of you guys have any experience with people like me?

I appreciate all comments and apologize in beforehand for any language errors (I'm a european).

Malgrif has already given you a very good answer, but I would add that the profession of engineering is very broad and most people can find a niche that suits them, eventually. To get there you probably have to involve yourself in the study and professional practice of things that initially may not interest you, but the pursuit of which could and should engage your interest and development. I would say that if you are curious, you will make progress. Try speaking to a variety of older engineers about how their career developed and I think you will be surprised how diverse and unexpected the opportunities arose. If you don't know anyone, you can approach the local branch of an engineering institution that interests you. Best wishes for your success.

WA mechatronic?

I'll look over the rest of the thread when I have a bit more time than I currently do, but in the meantime:
I'm currently enrolled in my first year of a bachelor of engineering at Curtin University in Perth, Western Australia and currently have told most people I'm thinking of doing a major in mechanical engineering. However, mechatronics looks awesome. But when I think mechatronic, I think robots, and I'm not so sure that there's so many robotics jobs in Western Australia. Any thoughts? Am I right to be concerned or is there plenty of work in whatever field?

I chose engineering because it suited by enjoyment of maths, physics and computing. Mechatronics fills that third element, while mechanical is less so.

I'm a recent high school graduate who wants to study Mechanical Engineering. I'm a from a high-income family and from a country with low-industry. So in the future I'm planning to open a factory or doing any business related to Mechanical Eng, like to work on my own or something like that. The problem is about the degree, which of Mechanical Engineering degree i should take?

AlbanianBlood said:
I'm a recent high school graduate who wants to study Mechanical Engineering. I'm a from a high-income family and from a country with low-industry. So in the future I'm planning to open a factory or doing any business related to Mechanical Eng, like to work on my own or something like that. The problem is about the degree, which of Mechanical Engineering degree i should take?

Some universities where I study in the UK offer Mechanical Engineering and Management as part of the degree, where students take some management modules. The modules normally teach students about the business framework, Small and Medium Enterprise (SME). I think if you check whether a university offers something similar, that could be a good degree for your case.

Should I go back to be an engineer

Hi All

I have a question as I am quite confused. I have completed by undergraduate and honours in Construction Management. I then went on to complete my MSc by research in Green Building and renewable energy. These areas are my passion I know I want to be in it for the rest of my life. I also love business and would really like to run my own business in the field of green building/renewable energy. With my masters I am an expert in the fields and could certainly be a consultant etc. However I cannot go and fully design. I am very interested whether I would love designing in these fields :). What are your thoughts on going back to become an engineer for these fields vs what I have already??

My thoughts are that you should gain some valuable commercial experience in the field, either by getting employment in a suitable firm, or by going into partnership with an engineering designer, or outsourcing this aspect so that you can see how the professionals do it. I wouldn't employ you unless you had a minimum of five years practical experience in the field. (It's the same in the construction field - contractors need people with minimum five years site experience to put tenders together). Beware of dabbling in fields you are not fully trained for. In ten years time, you may be able to cope better on your own. In any case, make sure you practice with professional indemnity cover.

I used to think computer programming was fascinating, but it bothered me too much because I didn't understand the hardware. I went from CS to EET pretty fast. Now that I have all the hardware figured out, I'm more interested in theory, so EE it is.

I just completed my generals. We'll see if EE holds through my sophomore year.

I definitely don't want to code behind a desk for the rest of my life, & I'll probably get bored of designing antenna's or IC's.

I'd rather find a niche market, grab some off the shelf components, write some firmware, & sell a product like hot cakes. Then retire to the spark fun alike website I made in college, lol

I think interfacing is the ticket to getting me off on my own.

Any self employed engineers in here?

Ty

I am interested in materials engineering. The problem I have, however, with the course being offered at a local university is that the whole 2 years of graduate program has like 5 courses related to materials. They are metallic materials, non metallic materials, selection of materials, mechanics of materials and protection of materials. Every other subject is either something that has to do with management or structural engineering. What is your opinion?

musk: what you have described as "a problem" can also be regarded as an opportunity. Maybe the course is being realistic about what graduates from its course will actually end up doing. Perhaps you need more information on the positions obtained by recent graduates from that same department. Does this university have an alumni scheme where previous graduates can give you a longer perspective?

Hello
I am currently in High school and am currently studying/preparing for engineering entrance exams which I'll have to write in less than 6 months. I want to be an engineer no doubt, but i am also equally inclined towards Physics.

i.) So if i succeed in completing my B tech in Mech engg then will i be capable of learning some advance physics(QM,Relativity,etc) on my own
ii.) Are their dual degree masters course in Engg and Physics because i am sure i have to do my Bachelors in Engg.

I don't have specific interest in Research(not yet at least) and the primary reason to go for physics degree will be to learn advance physics. So what i want to know is if it is possible to become an engineer and learn advance physics without a degree in physics.

Last edited:
musk said:
I am interested in materials engineering. The problem I have, however, with the course being offered at a local university is that the whole 2 years of graduate program has like 5 courses related to materials. They are metallic materials, non metallic materials, selection of materials, mechanics of materials and protection of materials. Every other subject is either something that has to do with management or structural engineering. What is your opinion?

It sounds like they could have more application based courses to provide more engineering skills. However, structural engineering is extremely important in the design of many materials. Also If you actually get an engineering job, you will probably find that it consists of more economics and management than you thought.

to sus4: In practical everyday practice, you never know what may strike you next. I realized that in my Structural Engineering practice, I could not have predicted during my degree course which additional skills I would need. I was very surprised to be involved in electrical engineering, materials properties research, chemistry, medicine, and lots of human based stuff as well, like psychology and management. My advice is to do what interests you and concentrate on doing it well. You are only as good as your last job. The degree you get has a half life of 3 weeks. You won't use 95% of what you learn in classes. You will need to keep learning throughout life. That is why it is interesting.

Hello, I am a currently enrolled in a community college and am thinking about majoring in engineering. This is quite a long story (feel free to skip to the last paragraph as the story is somewhat redundant and long-winded) but I just want to provide some context to my situation. Prior to this I wanted to major in cognitive psychology but I really wanted to study physics and mathematics, I just didn't think I was smart enough until recently.

I didn't do well in high school, I skipped class and well, did my fair share of partying. After high school I went hitchhiking around American and some of Canada for about three and a half years before coming back to my home town to go to school. Although traveling was a great experience, I realized I thrived in academic settings after auditing some uni classes while staying in Portland. Needless to say all of the math I learned in high school slipped away over the years although I independently studied some probability theory (Bayesian) as well as cognitive science and behavioral economics.

When I registered I had to take an aptitude test for math and I failed dismally. I was placed in developmental math classes to my embarrassment. Basically the class I am in is the equivalent of high school Alg II (functions, polynomials, exponents, inequalities, etc) and I'm doing very well, I really do enjoy math quite a bit but my eagerness is disproportionately greater than my skill. I've forced myself to adopt good study habits (I practice math about 4 hours a day and am getting an A in all my classes so far) and am intensely focused on achieving my goals.

I guess I just wanted someone to hear my story and perhaps if I'm lucky offer me advice. I'm 22 and basically just starting college and my math skills are the equivalent of a juniors in high school. Is it unrealistic for me to attempt to major in physics or engineering?
I do love math and while I realize that I made a lot of mistakes, I know that math is a course of study I am eager and willing to improve on. I know Ill be behind (I can't take Calculus for about two or so years, as I have one more developmental math class then college algebra, trig, pre-cal then finally calculus I) and probably won't finish my degree in four years considering I also work. I just know that I can do anything I set my mind to, I don't have friends, a girlfriend, kids, or have a facebook or even a cell phone...I just go to school, work and study that's it; I'm willing to completely submerge myself in study as I have been doing this semester and I love it. I am more than willing to put in the effort. I'm just really apprehensive about taking this plunge. Pursuing a career in science and mathematics is the only thing I can ever see myself doing, I'm just so nervous that once I transfer to a university and start taking engineering and calculus classes that I will not have what it takes. I'm just not sure what to do. Anyway thanks for listening.

Illuvitar said:
Hello, I am a currently enrolled in a community college and am thinking about majoring in engineering. This is quite a long story (feel free to skip to the last paragraph as the story is somewhat redundant and long-winded) but I just want to provide some context to my situation. Prior to this I wanted to major in cognitive psychology but I really wanted to study physics and mathematics, I just didn't think I was smart enough until recently.

I didn't do well in high school, I skipped class and well, did my fair share of partying. After high school I went hitchhiking around American and some of Canada for about three and a half years before coming back to my home town to go to school. Although traveling was a great experience, I realized I thrived in academic settings after auditing some uni classes while staying in Portland. Needless to say all of the math I learned in high school slipped away over the years although I independently studied some probability theory (Bayesian) as well as cognitive science and behavioral economics.

When I registered I had to take an aptitude test for math and I failed dismally. I was placed in developmental math classes to my embarrassment. Basically the class I am in is the equivalent of high school Alg II (functions, polynomials, exponents, inequalities, etc) and I'm doing very well, I really do enjoy math quite a bit but my eagerness is disproportionately greater than my skill. I've forced myself to adopt good study habits (I practice math about 4 hours a day and am getting an A in all my classes so far) and am intensely focused on achieving my goals.

I guess I just wanted someone to hear my story and perhaps if I'm lucky offer me advice. I'm 22 and basically just starting college and my math skills are the equivalent of a juniors in high school. Is it unrealistic for me to attempt to major in physics or engineering?
I do love math and while I realize that I made a lot of mistakes, I know that math is a course of study I am eager and willing to improve on. I know Ill be behind (I can't take Calculus for about two or so years, as I have one more developmental math class then college algebra, trig, pre-cal then finally calculus I) and probably won't finish my degree in four years considering I also work. I just know that I can do anything I set my mind to, I don't have friends, a girlfriend, kids, or have a facebook or even a cell phone...I just go to school, work and study that's it; I'm willing to completely submerge myself in study as I have been doing this semester and I love it. I am more than willing to put in the effort. I'm just really apprehensive about taking this plunge. Pursuing a career in science and mathematics is the only thing I can ever see myself doing, I'm just so nervous that once I transfer to a university and start taking engineering and calculus classes that I will not have what it takes. I'm just not sure what to do. Anyway thanks for listening.

Illuvitar, I just graduated last year from undergrad with an electrical engineering major. A 40 man who used to work as a mechanic graduated with me in my program. He had major difficulties with math (the way you describe it, you'll be fine) and he had some initial trouble grasping the concepts. He got hired at a fortune 500 company and now works as a hardware engineer and does a great job.

1.) it is never to late to purse an education
2.) look deep down at yourself and ask, "if challenged with a problem I do know how to solve, will I be able to utilize my resources (internet, proffesors, peers, family, abstract problem solving, textbooks) to allow me to solve the problem" if you answer yes then you can most definatly be an engineer.
3.) as far as the math goes, many engineering use limited math on a day to day basis, granted some use a lot

if you choose to purse engineering (and i think you should) you'll be fine. It will be a struggle, you'll be frustrated. seek help when you are stuck and learn to learn. when in a class seek knowledge, not a grade. if you try to learn, it'll work out!

Illuvitar said:

I am an EE, and a friend of mine in college had a similar high school experience you did. He claimed to be a "solid D" student back then. He spent a number of years serving the country, then enrolled in community college and had a LOT of catch up to do, just like you. He eventually transferred to my school for the last two years - he struggled at first but worked VERY hard and ended up with a masters degree in EE from a very good school (always ranked in the top 15) and is a successful engineer.

So what you are working to do has been done before - and if you are willing to work hard and get whatever extra help you need at the beginning I think you should give it a try. Try not to worry about the future classes - just focus on your current classes and make sure you learn the material as well as you can. Use the Professor / TA office hours, and any other help available at your school as much as you need it. If you learn the material in the prerequisite classes, then you will be prepared for calculus.

I wish you all the best!

jason

ME or Physics?

Hey y'all;
So, I'm pretty passionate about engineering, but I also have a very profound love of cosmology and theoretical physics. So I guess my big question is; Physics or engineering?

As a note, I'm currently about to start my second semester of college, so I'm a college freshman at BYU (as I understand it, the ME program here is pretty well respected, but I haven't heard anything about the physics program here being particularly outstanding).

Now, back in high school, I got Martin Schweiger's Orbiter and did my own research of various aspects of orbital mechanics (such as Hohhmann transfers and geometric simplifications of ascent and powered descent trajectories) and learned the mathematics and engineering to design propulsion for vehicles for various missions; and they often worked (specifically Delta-Velocity requirements for various missions). Although Orbiter doesn't extend to it (actually, all it really simulates by default is trajectories and propulsion) ; for fun I'd often design many over-arching aspects of the vehicle, including life support, power source, vehicle layout, flight deck layout, etc, often taking extensive notes from the design of existing vehicles like the Apollo CSM and Space Shuttles (much like a systems engineer). The impressive thing is I did this all on my own in 11th grade. So saying I love aerospace/astronautics might be an understatement (when it was time for Physics class to make water bottle rockets, I was the one with the three-foot tall high-fidelity Mercury-Redstone replica with a motorized parachute deployment system, while everyone else had a few 2-liter bottles stuck together xp).

However, there's a catch: the only people I could really work for are these coming-up private companies (such as SpaceX), and I'm worried working for them takes for granted that I'll be a workaholic with no time for hobbies and family, and I'm not too fond of being in an office all day and having a boss I have to fear. NASA might be more lax, but I'm not sure I'd be so happy dealing with beaurocracy and I find the enterprising commercial progress to be far more attractive.

Now, as for physics; I can see myself teaching a class, and honestly, I feel a bit sad at the prospect of missing out on higher physics classes in getting my engineering degree. Furthermore, I can't help but wonder if I'd be working easier hours.

And to top it all off, I can work hard, but I'm honestly getting a bit scared by all the; "It's very very hard" comments. I can take hard work, and my university offers the option of taking 6 years with a 4-year degree, but I really doubt I can take something where I'll be only getting 4 hours of sleep for a week and spending every waking moment working. The picture I keep seeing get painted makes me think of my brother going into investment banking, and I absolutely don't want that kind of absolutely insane workload (he works 18+ hours a day). Am I worrying it'll be worse than it is, or is it really that bad? And I keep wondering if physics would be any easier. Would an ME degree be as bad as investment banking?

This being said, though, engineering does come to me naturally. It fits perfectly with how I think, in all kinds of analysis and mathematical formulation, together with practical application in systems, so there is the possibility that ultimately I won't even mind all the workload of getting the degree because it'll essentially be things I enjoy so much I did them for fun in high school (of course, "the next level up" so to speak).

But the possibility of a more lax lifestyle is also something I find very attractive in physics, though a big part of me thinks I'm probably entirely wrong about that; that a physics career would be just as, if not more stressful than engineering, namely because even if the hours and lifestyle are easier (a big if), there's also more stress about getting a decent job. Come to think of it, I may be entirely deluding myself with the thought that academic physics leads to a more relaxed lifestyle than the office environment of engineering, by imagining physics as being like Einstein exploring theories on a chalkboard from his home on Long Island, or his initial work being done in his free time as a patent clerk. Come to think of it, that view is probably entirely errant, isn't it?

donpacino said:
Illuvitar, I just graduated last year from undergrad with an electrical engineering major. A 40 man who used to work as a mechanic graduated with me in my program. He had major difficulties with math (the way you describe it, you'll be fine) and he had some initial trouble grasping the concepts. He got hired at a fortune 500 company and now works as a hardware engineer and does a great job.

1.) it is never to late to purse an education
2.) look deep down at yourself and ask, "if challenged with a problem I do know how to solve, will I be able to utilize my resources (internet, proffesors, peers, family, abstract problem solving, textbooks) to allow me to solve the problem" if you answer yes then you can most definatly be an engineer.
3.) as far as the math goes, many engineering use limited math on a day to day basis, granted some use a lot

if you choose to purse engineering (and i think you should) you'll be fine. It will be a struggle, you'll be frustrated. seek help when you are stuck and learn to learn. when in a class seek knowledge, not a grade. if you try to learn, it'll work out!

Thank you, I sincerely appreciate the reply and its great to hear from someone who has completed an engineering degree. Thats great about that 40 year old man, I guess its never too late like you said. I am considering pursuing engineering quite a bit I am just worried I can't do it while working full time but I am sure the mechanic did too, I know it will be a struggle but I am up to the task(Im just worried about the difficulty of math mostly) . I needed to hear this. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

• #1,000
jasonRF said:
I am an EE, and a friend of mine in college had a similar high school experience you did. He claimed to be a "solid D" student back then. He spent a number of years serving the country, then enrolled in community college and had a LOT of catch up to do, just like you. He eventually transferred to my school for the last two years - he struggled at first but worked VERY hard and ended up with a masters degree in EE from a very good school (always ranked in the top 15) and is a successful engineer.

So what you are working to do has been done before - and if you are willing to work hard and get whatever extra help you need at the beginning I think you should give it a try. Try not to worry about the future classes - just focus on your current classes and make sure you learn the material as well as you can. Use the Professor / TA office hours, and any other help available at your school as much as you need it. If you learn the material in the prerequisite classes, then you will be prepared for calculus.

I wish you all the best!

jason

I'm in the same boat as your friend I have a lot to catching up to do but I am making peace with it. Thats really neat that your friend did so great I'm sure it wasn't easy, I really hope I can do the same.

You are right, I need to focus on mastering algebra before I worry about calculus. Thanks for the advice jason!

• #1,001
Oh, and I want to add to my earlier post (I guess these forums don't have an "edit" button), that I really do have a strong love of physics, and recently, I've been finding myself very excited about reading "The Fabric of the Cosmos" and thinking on fields and elementary particles, but with waning interest in aerospace engineering. But I still worry about struggling to find a job and support a family, specifically at post-doctoral time and before then, in physics.

And, as a little note, I've been asked to TA in my math class after my first semester (so I'll be a freshman TA next semester)... Is that really unusual? Does that carry any implications?

• #1,002
MattRob said:
Hey y'all;
So, I'm pretty passionate about engineering, but I also have a very profound love of cosmology and theoretical physics. So I guess my big question is; Physics or engineering?
But the possibility of a more lax lifestyle is also something I find very attractive in physics, though a big part of me thinks I'm probably entirely wrong about that; that a physics career would be just as, if not more stressful than engineering, namely because even if the hours and lifestyle are easier (a big if), there's also more stress about getting a decent job. Come to think of it, I may be entirely deluding myself with the thought that academic physics leads to a more relaxed lifestyle than the office environment of engineering, by imagining physics as being like Einstein exploring theories on a chalkboard from his home on Long Island, or his initial work being done in his free time as a patent clerk. Come to think of it, that view is probably entirely errant, isn't it?

Engineering is a lot of work during school, and it's especially a shock when you're coming from high school. Personally, first year was by far my hardest year so far, just because I wasn't used to the work load yet. Over time you just get used to it, and it's not so bad if you're motivated and have an interest in what you're doing. Yes, it's a crazy amount of work, but loads of people make it through just fine.

The nice thing about the engineering workload is that there's a light at the end of the tunnel. At the moment I'm working as a "baby engineer" (intern) in between 3rd and 4th year, and it makes me feel like my hard work in school is definitely worth it. The pay is decent, I rarely have to work more than 40 hours in a week if I don't want to, and I have really flexible hours. The main thing is just that I have to do my work and do it well. I was worried that when I got an engineering job they would expect me to work the same hours I had worked during school, but that's far from the case.

As far as physics goes, I wouldn't expect a physics major to be much easier than an engineering major. Engineering at my school definitely has a heavier workload, but it's not like physics is easy and relaxing. Also, the sense I get from reading forums like this and talking to my friends in physics is that the light at the end of the tunnel is a bit dimmer in physics. Once you're done your degree, I get the sense that physics majors have to, on average, work harder than engineers. You do physics because you love physics and you can't imagine doing anything else, not because of the fantastic career opportunities or because of how easy it is. Personally, I went with engineering (with a physics minor) despite wanting to do physics because I decided the career uncertainty just wasn't worth it to me. I don't regret that decision so far.

• #1,003
masters degree

I'm a 1st year engineering student and I'm looking for a scholarship abroad for masters in mechatronics engineering so please give me some advice how to choose a good university in this major and what is the skills needed ,I'm asking this to know what the universities and the market need from the newly graduates as academic skills and other skills to put that in my mind during my coming four years
thanks in advance

• #1,004
Hey guys, I have a weird background. I dropped out early on in high school to pursue a career in programming and entrepreneurship and now (at 26) I'm in the privileged position of having the freedom to really pursue what I want. I don't have to weigh any decisions about what I want to study according to career or job stability. I've always been interested in physics and math (perhaps from a distance) and now I'd really like to challenge myself and go back to school for engineering/physics. I love problem solving, doing challenging things, learning new things, I tinker around with sensors, circuits, small mechanical devices and small robots (That I usually program using python). I think I'm leaning towards engineering physics, or physics + an engineering grad program with an emphasis on design and research. I really love the idea of interdisciplinary research (Which the universities I'm interested in seem to heavily promote) and I think I would lean more towards EE, CE or a field that heavily uses physics. Bioengineering looks cool, so does nanotechnology/advanced material research and energy research (among other things).

Problem is, I have a really weak math background. These are the books I'll be studying for the next year in order to strengthen my math fundamentals. Is it a good/practical syllabus for my goals? I'd like to be able to do rigorous calculus, and study a physics intro with a heavy focus on calculus. I've read that Courant's intro to calculus is a good choice for physics majors and that Alonso/Finn's Physics intro is one of the best out there.

Algebra I
Elementary Algebra, Jacobs
Algebra, Gelfand
Elements of Algebra, Euler

Geometry
Geometry 2nd Ed, Jacobs
Euclid's Works
Geometry Revisted

Trigonometry
Trigonoemtry, Gelfand

Algebra II, Geomery II & Other Precalculus Stuff
Principles of Mathematics by Oakley (This seems like the most rigorous precalc book out there, goes over basic deductive logic and proof techniques and has a ton of exercises)
Precalculus, Cynthia Young
Precalculus, Sullivan

Problem Solving
How to Solve it, Polya
How to Prove it, Vellman
USSR Math Olympiads

Last edited:
Likes Kilo Vectors and Hierophant
  • #1,005
Is it possible for a physics major or applied math majors to build engineering projects about as good as actual engineers can? Or do engineers learn specific design principles that make them more suited to projects, as opposed to scientists who learn how to conduct experiments and learn how things work?

I'm in my 2nd year and I've taken upper level engineering and physics courses, but haven't taken stuff like 'intro to engineering design'. I'm still on the verge of seeing whether I want to be a math/physics major or engineering major. I want to code and build stuff but I also want to research new things.

To engineering majors: do those engineering project courses teach you invaluable tips on how to design a project? If so, what are some of those tips?

Also, has anyone taken 4 upper level courses, done research, and done a capstone project at the same time?

• #1,006
To uik, I have been involved in a number of Engineering design projects and would advise that someone like yourself could make a contribution if given the opportunity. Many courses have design elements disguised as 'analysis', but design is very different from analysis. In analysis (which is often taught because it is easy to examine it) all the geometry and material properties are well defined, and the task of the analyst is to make an intelligent commentary on the future behavior of the project, often using mathematical models. In design, one or more aspects are not well-defined, and so the task of the designer is to examine possibilities, first qualitatively, and secondly with models, mathematical or not. The designer must think through the whole life of the project and conform with standards etc. Sometimes the designer must initiate tests to close the knowledge uncertainty. There is a very strong tradition in engineering of working initially under the guidance of an experienced engineer who is familiar with the class of project being undertaken; and I advise you to try to establish such a relationship if at all possible, if you want to enter the world of design.

• #1,007
uik said:
Is it possible for a physics major or applied math majors to build engineering projects about as good as actual engineers can? Or do engineers learn specific design principles that make them more suited to projects, as opposed to scientists who learn how to conduct experiments and learn how things work?

I'm in my 2nd year and I've taken upper level engineering and physics courses, but haven't taken stuff like 'intro to engineering design'. I'm still on the verge of seeing whether I want to be a math/physics major or engineering major. I want to code and build stuff but I also want to research new things.

To engineering majors: do those engineering project courses teach you invaluable tips on how to design a project? If so, what are some of those tips?

Also, has anyone taken 4 upper level courses, done research, and done a capstone project at the same time?
I started in physics and migrated into nuclear engineering as an undergrad. A physics background in fine for engineering.

As for engineering design or projects, a lot depends on the type of engineering. Mechanical, electrical, aerospace, nuclear, civil . . . . will do different types of 'design' projects. An engineering physics program may be the way to go.

I had a colleague in my undergrad program who did 4 upper level courses, research and a project. The research and project become the basis of his MS and PhD programs. So it is possible.

It's best to take upper level courses that support one's research and projects.

• #1,008
pongo38 said:
To uik, I have been involved in a number of Engineering design projects and would advise that someone like yourself could make a contribution if given the opportunity. Many courses have design elements disguised as 'analysis', but design is very different from analysis. In analysis (which is often taught because it is easy to examine it) all the geometry and material properties are well defined, and the task of the analyst is to make an intelligent commentary on the future behavior of the project, often using mathematical models. In design, one or more aspects are not well-defined, and so the task of the designer is to examine possibilities, first qualitatively, and secondly with models, mathematical or not. The designer must think through the whole life of the project and conform with standards etc. Sometimes the designer must initiate tests to close the knowledge uncertainty. There is a very strong tradition in engineering of working initially under the guidance of an experienced engineer who is familiar with the class of project being undertaken; and I advise you to try to establish such a relationship if at all possible, if you want to enter the world of design.
This is a nice summary. There is a lot of detail that could be added, but students usually start with simple projects and work up to more complex design projects. There is a tremendous legacy in engineering, and some of that legacy is embodied in various sets of standards. However, one should bear in mind that many standards may not be appropriate, and the challenge becomes one of identifying the appropriate standard(s). That's where supervision of an experienced engineer helps.

Complex systems have many variables and many constraints (cost being one constraint, safety/reliability being another), and some of these may not be apparent in the beginning of a design project. Initially in a design, one might have sets of structures, materials and processes available, and during the conceptual and preliminary design phases, many of the structures (physical system), materials and processes will be discarded due to incompatibility with each other, system requirements, physical or economic constraints, or ultimate performance goals.

• #1,009
sushifiend said:
Problem is, I have a really weak math background. These are the books I'll be studying for the next year in order to strengthen my math fundamentals. Is it a good/practical syllabus for my goals? I'd like to be able to do rigorous calculus, and study a physics intro with a heavy focus on calculus. I've read that Courant's intro to calculus is a good choice for physics majors and that Alonso/Finn's Physics intro is one of the best out there.

@ sushifiend, here's a quote from the first post of the "So you want to be a physicist" thread that seemed relevant:

"The preparation one makes while still in high school before proceeding to college can be important. The most important of which, in my opinion, is one’s mastery of basic mathematics. Typically, by the time someone enters college, there should already be a good command of algebra, trigonometry and geometry. Taking intro physics without a good command of these three is a recipe for disaster. In many cases, one also needs at least a semester’s worth of calculus if the intro physics class includes calculus.

Although this appears to be obvious, it isn’t. In my brief teaching experience at the freshman level (1st year students in a university in the US), I often found that many students struggled with their physics homework not because they did not understand the physics, but they could not do the mathematics. Of course, they then blamed the difficulty of physics for this without realizing that the physics course itself was not to be blamed. Interestingly enough, we often encounter similar situation on our IRC channel. Students coming in with physics problems are often stuck more with the mathematics.

So, adequate preparations in mathematics at the high school level is crucial. In the US, one can still catch up on the necessary basic mathematics even after enrolling in a university by taking which ever mathematics courses that one needs. However, this will mean delaying other physics courses till one has the necessary mathematics skill." - ZapperZ

I have two friends who are doing what you are about to attempt. It isn't easy, but it is possible. They both started at community college, took the prerequisites to transfer, and moved from elementary algebra up through calc 3. One guy transferred in 4 years, the other in 5 years. They each are at UCLA and UCSD now respectively, and are looking at another 2-3 years. One is a physics major; the other electrical engineering.

That said, math is the weak link for most people, and you will be able to gauge for yourself after a semester or two. There's no substitute for the real thing. Good luck!

• #1,010
I'm just graduating High School and thinking about going into Electrical Engineering. Is college science extremely difficult right from the start? Or is there some overlap with high school AP physics/AP chemistry and review period. I've always been really good at math and science, and my teacher says that I'm his only student that he thinks will have an easy time with engineering, but based on this thread I'm starting to doubt him. Basically, I'm asking at what point do the engineering programs begin to really get difficult?

• #1,011
In my experience physics 1 (mechanics) is nearly identical to ap physics. I only learned new material at the very end of the class.

I never took AP chem, however the 1/2 of college chem was basically a review of my honors chem class.

If you had an easy time of those AP classes, i doubt you will have an extremely difficult time in the basic science courses at college.

• #1,012
alexsylvanus said:
I'm just graduating High School and thinking about going into Electrical Engineering. Is college science extremely difficult right from the start? Or is there some overlap with high school AP physics/AP chemistry and review period. I've always been really good at math and science, and my teacher says that I'm his only student that he thinks will have an easy time with engineering, but based on this thread I'm starting to doubt him. Basically, I'm asking at what point do the engineering programs begin to really get difficult?

I just graduated as an electrical engineer. My experience with both math and chemistry (I didn't take physics in high school) was as follows:

I began college in trigonometry after having taken calculus in high school. From trig through integral calculus, everything was a review. The difference was that the problems were much more difficult in college. Same theorems/equations, just applied to much harder problems. If you did well in high school courses, you will probably have an easy time understanding everything, but you'll still need to practice with homework to master the exercises. Several students are able to skip right into integral calculus or further as freshmen, in which case they begin their college career with a slightly more difficult introduction.

Chemistry was similar. I took 3 chem courses, and the first 2 were almost completely reviews of AP chem in high school. Nonetheless, they were difficult courses because the problems required mastery of the material rather than the simpler applications high school generally requires.

The overlap described above is nice because it allows you to adjust to a college pace and test style with information you have already experienced. Next they start throwing new concepts at you with the same hard tests, but you will have adjusted to college study habits by then and be able to handle the raised level in difficulty.

My one piece of advice: MASTER ALGEBRA. Electrical engineers do all kinds of fancy things with equations it will be very difficult if you cannot manipulate equations or follow a professors' line of thought when he does 3 or 4 algebraic steps in 1 line. Just about every algebraic trick in the book come into use some way or another.

If you're willing to work hard and put in a lot of hours, you should do fine in electrical engineering. Some concepts are difficult to grasp, but most of the work in your engineering courses will just require large amounts of time. There is a plethora of resources willing to help as well. Good Luck!

• #1,013
What is the market like for engineers who have PhD looking to become professors? Is it similar to the sciences or any better? Does it vary much amongst the disciplines (chemical, mechanical, electric etc.)

• #1,014
Here's my "should I become an engineer" story:

I almost picked up Mechanical Engineering 4 years ago. I was three years into school, and thought it would be wise to stick with what I was already doing. I thought I was avoiding 4 years of school not starting over, but ended up staying in school that long anyways. I ended up getting a degree in psychology, and most recently, an M.S. in Human Factors and Ergonomics.

Through it all, I find myself regretting my decision to stick with psychology. This feeling is compounded by the fact that Human Factors is largely an interdisciplinary field between psychology and mechanical engineering. I'm slightly jealous of my engineer friends that want to do HF engineering. So now I'm trying to formulate a plan in which I start working toward a mechanical engineering degree, while working in industry. Given that there's some level of overlap between my side and the engineering side of HF, it might actually benefit me to do so.

So a few questions: how many prereqs could I get out of the way with night classes at a community college? I'd be starting at the bottom, since I only took two math courses as an undergrad. Do upper level/graduate level statistics classes count for anything in engineering (tech electives)? At this point, I'm a huge consideration of getting another degree will be how much money it takes. I need to know how much I can get out of the way before I end up in an actual engineering program.

Last edited:
  • #1,015
Second thoughts on Engineering

I didn't discover my love for math until my junior year of high school which I attended in Florida, I am now in New York and would love to get a degree in engineering. The quality of the education systems between the aforementioned states is pretty significant & I never took physics or calculus aside from mere dabbling in an intro to aerospace course. I am afraid that I will be coming from a much weaker standpoint than the rest of the students, making me wonder if this is still the sort of degree I should go for.

My question is, what is the difference between Engineering Science & Mechanical? The requirements for these courses are very different in terms of courses, GPA, & schools that accept the credits

Should I still try for this degree considering the disadvantages?