Exploring Different Braiding Styles for Long Hair: A Guide for Ponytail Wearers

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary: This would be good for riding your hog down the road. It would have great shock value and you would never have to worry about helmet... :uhh: helmets are for sissies!:rolleyes:

Should I braid my ponytail?

• Total voters
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
So, my hair is long enough that I started wearing it in a ponytail. I use a rubberband to hold it since scrunchies are too slippery. Some of the hair is still short enough that is easily slips out, especially when the wind is blowing, I'm running, or moving.

So I am thinking as it gets longer, I'll braid my ponytail, or should I do two braids? What style? My daughter suggested a French braid (http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip255.htm). :rolleyes:

However, I thinking a basic three strand braid. :biggrin:

But I might consider a plait.

Maybe down the road, I'll donate it to "Locks of Love" (http://www.locksoflove.org/).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I went with 'what are you talking about' because it's obvious that the only proper approach is to bundle it into a chunk of shrink tubing.

You're a dude right? :confused:

yes give it a braid, I'd stick to the three strand. And buy the hair bands that don't damage your hair. A pack of 20 for about 3 dollars, they come in small sizes too.

Real men wear french braids.

P.S. Astronuc, I fixed your links, hope you don't mind.

I voted against braiding. That just doesn't seem right for a guy (and especially not a French braid! :eek:)

Does locks of love accept gray ponytails? :biggrin:

I am with Moonbear. Ixnay on the aidbray :biggrin:

You should braid you beard :biggrin:

What would Dave Carradine do?

51_b.gif

mattmns said:
You're a dude right? :confused:

Last time I checked, yes.

ST said:
P.S. Astronuc, I fixed your links, hope you don't mind.
Thanks. I guess the thread creation process boogered them up.

I don't like the French braid. I have to grow the hair longer for a good braid. Right now it's curly and the bangs are still a bit short. Hopefully by the end of the year.

Moonbear said:
Does locks of love accept gray ponytails? :biggrin:
Well, I suppose they could die the hair. :rolleyes:

cyrus said:
That too has been suggested.

Maybe I'll get my ear re-pierced. :rofl: :cool:

A little more work and I'll look like Jack Sparrow. :uhh:

I have heard that putting your hair in a pony tail puts too much tension on your hair near the forehead. It will cause it to fall out faster. I don't know if its true or not though.

yomamma said:
51_b.gif
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I vote for dreadlocks.

Evo said:
I vote for dreadlocks.
That would have been possible 25 years ago when my hair was much denser. I think I had parts of it braided with mini-braids (like those of Bo Derek) :rolleyes: - some girls I knew just wanted to have fun (with the hair). o:)

I voted no. I say go for the HV look.
http://img426.imageshack.us/img426/1318/hairwq1.jpg

Astro, a real man would use tie wraps.

How about cutting it short or shaving it like a commando? :D

after all that effort?

my younger bro has long silky (matted) blond hair. ha

do what you want, its your hair

Mattara said:
:rofl: Well, I once considered a scalp-lock like the Cossacks (see Yul Bryner in the movie Taras Bulba).

I have a natural aversion to shaving. I haven't shaved in more than 25 years. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
I have a natural aversion to shaving. I haven't shaved in more than 25 years. :biggrin:

The first thing that comes to mind is "Why?". To people look at you and point when you are on outside? :uhh:

:tongue2:

Heard on the radio that stone age body found in peat bog used hair gel, so
may be a nice sculptured look Astro.

I have a natural aversion to shaving. I haven't shaved in more than 25 years.
yeah i can see:biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
http://img426.imageshack.us/img426/1318/hairwq1.jpg
[/URL]
Why is that kid wearing a sea urchin?

Danger said:
Why is that kid wearing a sea urchin?
He's not, he is ion-eyesed.

wolram said:
Heard on the radio that stone age body found in peat bog used hair gel, so may be a nice sculptured look Astro.
Hair gel? :yuck:

Anyone remember "Brylcreem" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brylcreem)? 'Tis a foul concoction! :yuck: My parents imposed it upon me :grumpy: until I rebelled :devil:.

Astronuc said:
Anyone remember "Brylcreem"
Sure... "a little dab'll do ya". About the same time that Edie Adams was singing about cigars. :biggrin:

You should try this!

http://shofu.pref.ishikawa.jp/shofu/shof_sozai/jokamati/jokamati_sample/11.jpg
Supposedly this was the preferred hairstyle of samurai because it made wearing a healmet easier. I think it was preferred because not wearing a helmet would be too embarrasing. This could potentially save the samurai from a nasty head wound.

This would be good for riding your hog down the road. It would have great shock value and you would never have to worry about helmet hair.

Hey, Huckleberry, long time no see! Welcome back to PF!

That hair style would be interesting. :rofl: I'll give it some thought. :biggrin:

i vote a regular braid. short pony tails are nice, but when they're long they just look scraggly. Don't do a french braid, that's entirely too girly, and besides, you'd have to redo it so often, it would get really annoying for you. also, i thought a plait was a braid..?

also, i forget who asked about ponytails and damage to your scalp, but yeah that's true, especially if you wear tight ponies. its bad to leave your hair up all the time. causes headaches, dandruff, and the like. speaking of hair, mine's awful long these days too... I'm about ready to chop it and donate it.

wear tight ponies
right!:rofl:

yomamma said:
51_b.gif

Hmm, imagining the sisterhood singing:

Get a haircut and get a real job.
Clean your act up and don't be a slob.
Get it together like your big brother Bob.
Why don't you get a haircut and get a real job?

cyrusabdollahi said:
Braid the beard and hair together! It's going to be great! Two braids, one on each side, hair and beard each parted down the middle. I can see it now, ending in a sideways spray. Send pix as soon as you get it done!

Chi Meson said:
Braid the beard and hair together! It's going to be great! Two braids, one on each side, hair and beard each parted down the middle. I can see it now, ending in a sideways spray. Send pix as soon as you get it done!
Yeah, you could have that Wookie-Elder thing going on. No Bryl Cream for me, I was a Vitalis Fella'! Back then it was just har 'ol. Put a couple of drops in the palm of your hand, pat your comb in it and run it through your hair. If I remember correctly, Old Spice used to make a pommade that I used every once in a while.

1. What are the benefits of braiding long hair?

Braiding long hair can help keep it tangle-free and prevent breakage. It can also add texture and volume to the hair, making it look fuller and more stylish.

2. How do I choose the right braiding style for my hair type?

The best braiding style for your hair type will depend on its texture and thickness. For example, if you have thick hair, a French braid or fishtail braid may work best, while those with fine hair may prefer a simple three-strand braid. Experiment with different styles to see what works best for you.

3. Can braiding damage my hair?

Braiding can potentially cause damage if done too tightly or if the hair is not properly cared for while braided. It is important to use gentle techniques and avoid pulling or tugging on the hair while braiding. Additionally, regularly moisturizing and deep conditioning the hair can help prevent damage.

4. How often should I change my braiding style?

It is recommended to change your braiding style every 2-3 weeks to give your hair a break and prevent damage. However, this may vary depending on your hair type and the tightness of the braids. If you notice any discomfort or hair breakage, it may be time to change your style sooner.

5. Are there any special care instructions for braided hair?

Yes, braided hair requires special care to maintain its health and prevent damage. It is important to keep the scalp clean and moisturized, and to avoid using heavy products that can weigh down the braids. Additionally, be gentle when taking out the braids to avoid pulling or damaging the hair.