1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I continue to pursue a physics/engineering dual degree if it takes 6 years?

1. Aug 16, 2012 #1
    I enrolled at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire with the intent of finishing their dual degree program with UW-Madison for physics and nuclear engineering (http://www.uwec.edu/admissions/facts/dualdegree.htm). Heading into my sophomore year, it has become apparent that such a program may very well take 6 years to complete due to schedule conflicts with my minor (computer science). Therefore, I am considering simply finishing a physics degree at UWEC and moving on to grad school in physics, engineering, or operations research. University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is a regionally respected liberal arts school, but not ranked in physics.

Here is my question;

Given that the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire (http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/uw-eau-claire-3917) is not on the same tier as super-schools like Madison, and I currently hold a 3.6 (hopefully rising considerably by graduation, the 3.6 is due to one class I plan on retaking), what kind of grad schools could I be considered for? Is there any possibility one can be considered for top 20 grad schools in the aforementioned fields coming from a regional state university?

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2012 #2

fss

Re: Should I continue to pursue a physics/engineering dual degree if it takes 6 years

6 years for two bachelor's degrees? Why would you want to do that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook