Is a Measure Theory Course Necessary for a PhD in Engineering?

In summary, this course is an introduction to measure theory and Lebesgue integral. A sound knowledge of measure theory and the Lebesgue integral is a starting point to undertake advanced studies in partial differential equations, nonlinear analysis, the calculus of variations and probability theory. The outcomes of the course are stated as gaining a working knowledge of function spaces and modes of convergence, understanding the relationship between of functions of bounded variation and absolute continuity and the role they play in fundamental theorem of integral calculus, and applying results from integration theory to other areas of mathematics.
thrillhouse86
Hi All, I am a new phd student in engineering, working in signals analysis in neuroscience who seems to be doing a lot of work in statistics and probability theory. My uni is offering a course in measure theory. The course profile says:

"The course is an introduction to measure theory and Lebesgue integral. A sound knowledge of measure theory and the Lebesgue integral is a starting point to undertake advanced studies in partial differential equations, nonlinear analysis, the calculus of variations and probability theory."

The outcomes of the course are stated as:

"1 Appreciate the central role of sigma-algebras and measure in integration theory;
2 Work with measurable functions and understand their importance to the definition of the integral;
3 Work with the properties of the Lebesgue integral;
4 Generate measures including Stieltjes measures;
5 Use the relationship between the Riemann and Lebesgue integrals on the real line;
6 Understand the relationship between of functions of bounded variation and absolute continuity and the role they play in fundamental theorem of integral calculus;
7 Decompose measures and appreciate the role this decomposition plays in the Radon-Nikodym & Riesz representation theorems;
8 Gain a working knowledge of function spaces and modes of convergence;
9 Work with the integral on product spaces using the relationship with repeated integrals;
10 Apply results from integration theory to other areas of mathematics."

Given that I am not a pure mathematician would it be worth doing this course?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is always good to know something about functional analysis, measure theory and probability if you want to do theoretical work in signal. But can you survive without knowing any of these? I think you absolutely could. You probably could learn a lot about signal, system, estimation etc without knowing a lot of real analysis. But of course, there are some more theoretical/mathematical topics you would find confusing without those knowledge. I still remember the nightmare when I took a class that I was supposed to learn H-2/H-infinity with very little background. Needless to say it was a total disaster. So, it definitely would help if you know functional analysis.
But before you register for the class, you would definitely need to have taken the undergrad real analysis courses.

What's the prerequisite of this course? It sounds like you need at least undergraduate real analysis course (at the level of Rudin's PMA or equivalent), as chingkui suggested.

Depends on your knowledge. If you haven't done any serious analysis before, it'll probably be undoable.

ok thanks guys, the school does run a real analysis course which I somewhat arrogantly thought I could just skip. So it appears that everyone rather strongly feels that this is NOT a course to do without a background in real analysis.

Thanks

1. Should I learn measure theory?

It depends on what your goals are. Measure theory is a fundamental topic in mathematics and is essential for understanding many other areas of math, such as probability theory and functional analysis. If you plan on pursuing a career in mathematics or a related field, learning measure theory would be beneficial. However, if your interests lie in other areas, it may not be necessary.

2. Is measure theory difficult to learn?

Measure theory can be challenging for some people, as it involves abstract concepts and rigorous proofs. However, with dedication and a solid foundation in calculus and real analysis, it is definitely possible to learn measure theory. It is important to have a good understanding of the basic concepts before delving into more advanced topics.

3. What are the applications of measure theory?

Measure theory has a wide range of applications in various fields, including mathematics, physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to define and study different types of integrals, to develop a rigorous theory of probability, and to study properties of geometric objects, such as fractals. It also has practical applications in data analysis and signal processing.

4. How is measure theory different from calculus?

While calculus deals with the study of functions, measure theory focuses on the properties of sets and how to assign measures to them. Measure theory is a more general and abstract framework that builds upon the concepts of calculus. It provides a more rigorous foundation for calculus and extends its applications to a broader range of problems.

5. Is measure theory relevant in modern research?

Absolutely. Measure theory is a fundamental topic in modern mathematics and is used extensively in research in various fields. It provides the necessary tools and techniques for analyzing complex problems and has applications in many areas of science and engineering. Many important open problems in mathematics also involve measure theory, making it a relevant and active research area.