Revisiting Mathematical Concepts in Physics: Is It Worth the Frustration?

• Thread starter paulo84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: It's like someone who wants to learn to swim by taking baby steps in the shallow end of the pool. They might be able to make it to the other side, but they'll be much more likely to drown because they won't have any idea what they're doing.A review of algebra and trig would likely have prevented these nonsense posts (among others).
Mark44 said:
Which is why you should put in some time reviewing algebra and trig before starting in on calculus and physics.

All we have done is attempt to correct a few of your deep misconceptions. This is really a terrible way to learn.

i have found the most effective way for me to learn is by having a conversation with my teachers.

Physics news on Phys.org
paulo84 said:
i have found the most effective way for me to learn is by having a conversation with my teachers.
Speaking as someone who has taught college math for 20+ years, these "conversations" are far from effective in the use of the teachers' time, especially as you seem reluctant to do due diligence prior to the Q & A session.

Last edited:
Likes lekh2003, Vanadium 50, StoneTemplePython and 2 others
are there situations in physics which use ##i## to represent one side of a square?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark44 said:
Speaking as someone who has taught college math for 20+ years, these "conversations" are far from effective in the use of the teachers' time, especially as you seem reluctant to do due diligence prior to the Q & A session.
This is at least as big of an issue. @paulo84 you have to understand that we want our and our members' time to be productive too. You might be happy with the results (even though the rest of us agree these do not represent significant progress), but we're not paid personal tutors and even if we were, we'd set the curriculum and method, not you. So if you insist on this path, I'm afraid it's going to keep being problematic to us.

Likes Mark44
I will try to adjust the frequency of my questions such that I'm asking less often, and do more reading.

Likes Mark44 and berkeman
paulo84 said:
I will try to adjust the frequency of my questions such that I'm asking less often, and do more reading.
You really need to get textbooks, read through them, answer atleast a few questions related to every topic, and use forums only when you come across something you do not understand. It will take months and months but that's the only way you're going to learn anything of use. Don't be a pseudointellectual. Once you get through algebra and precalc you could just go off of some college's degree program and work your way through the class list.

Likes paulo84 and Mark44
paulo84 said:
are there situations in physics which use ##i## to represent one side of a square?
I don't believe so. ##i## is the so-called "imaginary number," but it plays a significant role in electricity and electronics, particularly in AC circuits, and elsewhere in physics.

Likes paulo84
As a final note, I have enjoyed doing some of the (admittedly very basic) algebra in this thread, which makes me somewhat optimistic I can stick to reading maths, given that I do take pleasure in it.

paulo84 said:
As a final note, I have enjoyed doing some of the (admittedly very basic) algebra in this thread, which makes me somewhat optimistic I can stick to reading maths, given that I do take pleasure in it.
If I can give you one last tip, stop trying to find an ulterior meaning in everything you are learning. Slow down and stop jumping to conclusions. It seems like you are on a wild goose chase. Just learn, don't ask. When you are done learning everything relevant, then you may ask.

Honestly if you can't handle the criticism you've been given you wouldn't be able to handle the trials of learning anything. These people want to help you but you refuse it. You need to realize that becoming good at anything is hard, be it STEM, music, writing, or art. Anything worth pursuing is going to be difficult, and most if not all require some structured path of formal education.

Likes lekh2003
Jayalk97 said:
Honestly if you can't handle the criticism you've been given you wouldn't be able to handle the trials of learning anything. These people want to help you but you refuse it. You need to realize that becoming good at anything is hard, be it STEM, music, writing, or art. Anything worth pursuing is going to be difficult, and most if not all require some structured path of formal education.
And while I'm on my mini tirade I want to add that trying to find shortcuts around learning math is an insult to the rest of us who spent countless sleepless nights studying hours of material, hundreds of cups of coffee, literal tears to get through out education.

Likes lekh2003
The OP is no longer with us. Time to close.

Likes lekh2003