1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Should I pursue an Xseries or a credit-course?

1. Sep 27, 2016 #1
    I want to go to a good university to study astrophysics, and for doing so I'm thinking for getting an online certificate from edX. The problem is I don't know what is better.

There's a course called "Introduction to Solar Systems Astronomy" in which if you pass it, you may get 4 credit hours, but with a high cost of 600$.
    The other option is the Xseries of "Astrophysics" consisting on 4 courses with a total cost of 200$ which is far for economical. It seems this has the same content as the 1st year of Astrophysics in ANU university.

I don't know what to pursue. If I go into ISSA, university aplication may get easier, as I proved to handle credit, but 4 credit hours may be quite few, and the prize is so high (I'm a teenager)... If I go into "Astrophysics", university aplication may get easier too, but maybe quite less. Although, is more economical, and it proved I completed more courses (so much more certificates).

What do you recommend? :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Online certificates are useless. Take the course if you're interested, but don't expect it to help you with admission.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted