Should I pursue an Xseries or a credit-course?

• Courses
  • Thread starter Gjmdp
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is interested in studying astrophysics at a good university and is considering getting an online certificate from edX. However, they are unsure which option is better. One option is a course called "Introduction to Solar Systems Astronomy" which offers 4 credit hours but costs $600. The other option is the Xseries of "Astrophysics" which consists of 4 courses with a total cost of $200. This option seems to cover the same content as the first year of Astrophysics at ANU university. The speaker is unsure which option to pursue, as they believe the ISSA course may make their university application easier due to proving their ability to handle credit, but it is expensive for a teenager. The "
Gjmdp
I want to go to a good university to study astrophysics, and for doing so I'm thinking for getting an online certificate from edX. The problem is I don't know what is better.

There's a course called "Introduction to Solar Systems Astronomy" in which if you pass it, you may get 4 credit hours, but with a high cost of 600$.
The other option is the Xseries of "Astrophysics" consisting on 4 courses with a total cost of 200$ which is far for economical. It seems this has the same content as the 1st year of Astrophysics in ANU university.

I don't know what to pursue. If I go into ISSA, university aplication may get easier, as I proved to handle credit, but 4 credit hours may be quite few, and the prize is so high (I'm a teenager)... If I go into "Astrophysics", university aplication may get easier too, but maybe quite less. Although, is more economical, and it proved I completed more courses (so much more certificates).

What do you recommend? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Online certificates are useless. Take the course if you're interested, but don't expect it to help you with admission.

1. Should I choose an Xseries or a credit-course?

It ultimately depends on your goals and preferences. Xseries are ideal for individuals who want to gain specific skills and knowledge in a shorter amount of time, while credit-courses are more comprehensive and recognized by universities and employers. Consider your career aspirations and learning style before deciding.

2. Will an Xseries or a credit-course look better on my resume?

This also depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Xseries can demonstrate your proficiency in a particular subject, while credit-courses may showcase a broader understanding of a field. It is best to choose the option that aligns with your career goals and showcases your strengths.

3. Are Xseries courses more challenging than credit-courses?

Difficulty can vary greatly between individual courses, regardless of whether they are part of an Xseries or credit-course. Xseries may be more fast-paced and focused on practical skills, while credit-courses may have more theoretical components. Research the specific courses you are interested in to determine their level of difficulty.

4. Can I transfer credits from an Xseries to a university program?

It depends on the university and their policies. Some universities may accept Xseries courses for credit, while others may not. It is best to check with the university you plan on attending to see if they accept transfer credits from Xseries programs.

5. Which option is more cost-effective, an Xseries or a credit-course?

This can vary depending on the specific courses and programs you choose. Xseries may be more affordable in terms of upfront costs, but credit-courses may have a higher long-term value. Consider your budget and the potential return on investment when making your decision.