Should i pursue Physics and Mathematics?

In summary: Calculus is just a review of geometry. I'm pretty sure if you studied geometry and calculus well, you would be good to go for physics and engineering.
Ali Unlucay
hello everyone

I have always been curious about science and math but have been terrible at both as a result of my failure to study and pay attention, I failed math twice in high school from skipping, not studying and ignoring my teacher, I also failed physics twice for the same reason. However i have since gotten quite hopeful about science and math having understood its philosophical desires and roots, and have undergone a serious independent study of math and physics, i am however not at calculus yet. I have set up the summer and winter semesters as the semesters in which I get my high school physics and math credits for the programs, and consider these to be where i make it or break it, still it seems that even if i perform well in these classes and enter the physics program, i might still be in a bad way.

I am 20 years old and i realize how badly i failed in the past, i want to study physics and hopefully afterwards engineering but my past makes it seem as if that's impossible, so my final question would be, do i have to be a naturally talented individual, or even one who's built their skill from a young age to do this? Or can i do what I am doing now ( with decent progress) and independently with hard work catch up.

Physics news on Phys.org
I started with arithmetic at a community college when I 3 months away from my 21st birthday. I am now 25, taking both calculus 3, differential equations, and electricity and magnetism. Take it for what it is worth.

Likes Ali Unlucay
Yah i think, even if ita difficult its doable if I am willing to humble myself to the level it takes.

Other than a few conceptual ideas, calculus is no more or less difficult than the steps below it. It just requires hard work.

I personally found geometry more difficult than calculus.

1. What are the career opportunities for someone with a degree in Physics and Mathematics?

There are many career opportunities for someone with a degree in Physics and Mathematics. Some common options include working as a research scientist, data analyst, engineer, teacher, or in the technology industry. Graduates with this background are also highly sought after in fields such as finance, consulting, and healthcare.

2. Is it difficult to pursue a degree in Physics and Mathematics?

Yes, pursuing a degree in Physics and Mathematics can be challenging. These subjects require strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a strong foundation in math. However, with dedication and hard work, it can be a rewarding and fulfilling experience.

3. What skills do I need to excel in Physics and Mathematics?

To excel in Physics and Mathematics, you will need to have a strong foundation in math, including calculus and linear algebra. You should also have excellent critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills are essential for success in these fields.

4. What are the benefits of studying Physics and Mathematics?

Studying Physics and Mathematics can provide many benefits. These subjects teach valuable problem-solving skills that can be applied to various fields. They also provide a deeper understanding of how the world works and the ability to think critically and logically. Additionally, a degree in these subjects can lead to a wide range of career opportunities and high-paying jobs.

5. Can I pursue Physics and Mathematics if I don't have a strong background in math?

It is possible to pursue Physics and Mathematics even if you do not have a strong background in math. However, it may require extra effort and dedication to catch up on the necessary math skills. It is essential to have a strong understanding of math to be successful in these fields, so it is recommended to take additional math courses or seek help from tutors if needed.