Should I Switch Degrees to Pursue Nanotech Research?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the individual's struggle in deciding whether to switch from Electrical Engineering to a Physics degree in order to pursue research in nanotechnology. They mention concerns about job opportunities and research availability for both majors, as well as their dislike for experimental physics and their interest in theoretical physics and engineering-related research. They also mention their specific interest in molecular manufacturing and ask for advice on which undergraduate degree would be most suitable for this pursuit.
Jonnyb42
Hello, I am having a lot of trouble deciding if I should switch to a physics degree or not.
I am currently in Electrical Engineering, about to finish my second semester, (first year.)
My thoughts on switching to physics having nothing to do with a dislike towards engineering, I very much like it.
I want to do research, particularly in nanotechnology, so I thought it might be better to switch to a physics major, (I am also interested in physics as a subject, so I don't just think I SHOULD do it.)
It might be important to mention, that regardless of what I do, I am taking an available minor in Nanotech at my school.

The only reasons I am doubting the switch is because of web pages such as http://sciencejobs.blogspot.com/" .
There, the author says a Ph.D. is a perilous path... (I refer to the posts near the bottom, especially the last post.)
Another negative and depressing article is http://wuphys.wustl.edu/~katz/scientist.html" .

I would love to get a Ph.D. in physics however by what I am reading it is not so good.
So I thought that it might be good to do physics bachelor's, and master in materials science & engineering, or perhaps apply to a more advanced engineering graduate school elsewhere.

Could anyone suggest if I should switch majors based on research in nanotech? (and research in general) as well as if I will get screwed over and end up on the streets.
My understanding is that a physics undergraduate would leave me with stronger scientific background for pursuing nanotechnology research.

I love engineering and physics alike, so it is not a matter of "follow your heart,"
I am mainly asking in terms of job availibility and research availability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
OK, two things:

1. Check out this link.

http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/emptrends.html

It should tell you as much as one can know about the employment statistics of physicists in the US.

2. I always am amazed why people think that they can't do both engineering and physics at the same time. Do people think that physicists are only people doing theory and work in String/elementary particle/etc.? I've already written this in another thread as a glaring example of an field of study that essentially is a combination of both physics and engineering:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=410271

This is just one example. Fields of study such as device/detector/instrumentation physics is another such field in which engineering and physics definitely combined very well. One might have a very good guess on the employability of someone graduating with THAT degree and that set of skills.

Zz.

I always am amazed why people think that they can't do both engineering and physics at the same time.
I dont' think that at all. I just think, with my minor, it would be too much. I am worried my GPA would be adversely affected.

Basically, what job opportunities are there for physics majors, and what research opportunities are there for engineering majors?

I HATE experimental physics, so I am now curious, is that what happens in government research labs... data gathering, plotting, etc??
I like theoretical physics. Gathering data is not my idea of physics.

The type of research I want to do involves some engineering. Building a prototype of something for example. I hope you know what I mean.

thanks for any help

Last edited:
Jonnyb42 said:
I dont' think that at all. I just think, with my minor, it would be too much. I am worried my GPA would be adversely affected.

Basically, what job opportunities are there for physics majors, and what research opportunities are there for engineering majors?

I HATE experimental physics, so I am now curious, is that what happens in government research labs... data gathering, plotting, etc??
I like theoretical physics. Gathering data is not my idea of physics.

The type of research I want to do involves some engineering. Building a prototype of something for example. I hope you know what I mean.

thanks for any help

That is the most confusing post I've ever read. First you ask what job opportunities there are for physics majors after someone posted the link to the very source of what physicists get jobs in. Then you say you hate experimental physics but want to do something that involves engineering... :confused:

I am sorry for the confusion. Perhaps I should simplify my question. I know exactly what I want to do, but I don't know how to get there:

I want to research in molecular manufacturing. Which undergraduate degree is most suitable for such a pursuit: engineering or physics.

I emphasize undergraduate because I am willing and able to do graduate studies.

Jonnyb42 said:
I am sorry for the confusion. Perhaps I should simplify my question. I know exactly what I want to do, but I don't know how to get there:

You said you have finished the second semester. Assuming your program is 8 semesters long, I seriously doubt if you done any engineering at all. If undergrad programs are run the same way they were 4 years ago, you are probably wading through Griffiths E&M, some vector calculus, circuit theory, maybe some machining (?) and some linear algebra or contour integration which may seem really cool.

So how do you know that you "hate" experimental physics? A lot of experimental physics involves engineering, and a lot of engineering involves physics (especially these days). ZapperZ's thread (and the associated links) should answer a lot of your questions.

Oh and by the way, simply getting an engineering degree will not make you necessarily better employable or better off in any way than a physics graduate. You have to work hard.

I want to research in molecular manufacturing. Which undergraduate degree is most suitable for such a pursuit: engineering or physics.

I emphasize undergraduate because I am willing and able to do graduate studies.

Unfortunately I don't know what molecular manufacturing really is, though I guess you are referring to nanotechnology, which is interdisciplinary, but probably involves more chem, materials and biology people than anyone else. Of course there are a LOT of physicists, EEs, MEs involved.

EE is a very versatile program. But if you're somehow damn sure that you hate something, then stay away from it! Do what makes you happy. Stop reading horror stories and depressing articles. Katz's article was written in 1999. Even the monetary figures he quotes are off by factors of 2 or 3 :-). If his logic is to be used as a guiding principle, then nobody who is smart and rational enough should be doing science. Do you see something wrong there? Incidentally, very few folks from the golden era of particle physics have nice things to say about present day science and society.

I have switched to physics major!

Thank you everyone for your responses.
I appreciate ALL your responses.

Jonny

Jonnyb42 said:
I have switched to physics major!

Thank you everyone for your responses.
I appreciate ALL your responses.

Jonny

Well that was quick. =) Good luck on your decision.

Yeah that first link is extremely helpful, thank you ZapperZ.
Out of curiosity, what is you guys' job positions if I may ask?
I am particularly curious if anyone works/has worked for the government/military.
Also, what would working in the DoD be categorized as, out of the positions http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/reports/emp2010.pdf"?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is nanotechnology and why is it important?

Nanotechnology is the study and manipulation of matter on a nanoscale, typically ranging from 1 to 100 nanometers. It has the potential to revolutionize various industries, such as healthcare, electronics, and energy, by creating new materials and devices with enhanced properties.

2. What are the job prospects for someone with a degree in nanotechnology?

The job prospects for someone with a degree in nanotechnology are promising, as the field continues to grow and expand. Graduates can pursue careers in research and development, manufacturing, product design, and quality control in industries such as biotechnology, electronics, and materials science.

3. How does switching to a degree in nanotechnology benefit my career?

Switching to a degree in nanotechnology can benefit your career in several ways. It can open up new job opportunities in emerging industries, provide a competitive edge in the job market, and allow you to contribute to cutting-edge research and advancements in technology.

4. What skills and knowledge do I need for a degree in nanotechnology?

A degree in nanotechnology requires a strong foundation in science and mathematics, particularly in chemistry, physics, and biology. It also involves skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and laboratory techniques. Familiarity with computer programming and data analysis may also be beneficial.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations in pursuing a degree in nanotechnology?

Like any field of study, pursuing a degree in nanotechnology may have its challenges and limitations. It can be a highly specialized and interdisciplinary field, requiring a significant amount of time and effort. Additionally, there may be ethical considerations and safety precautions to consider when working with nanomaterials.