Is Taking Circuits II Without Prior Differential Equations Knowledge Advisable?

• Thread starter bob1182006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the speaker, an Electrical Engineer, shares their course choices for the fall and their plans to take Circuits II in the following year. They express concern about not having taken any differential equations and ask for advice on whether to take the course now or later. The summary suggests that taking an ODE course before Circuits II would be beneficial in understanding important concepts such as Laplace and Fourier series.
bob1182006
I'm and Electrical Engineer, picked almost all of my courses for the fall except 1.
I'll be taking:
Classical Mechanics I
Complex Analysis
Ethics for Engineers

I'm thinking of taking Circuits II next fall, but I haven't taken any differential equations yet. Looking at the book I noticed the class uses Laplace transformations and Fourier Series which I believe are taught in an ODE class.

If I don't take the class now I'd have to take it Fall 09, since I'm taking ODE's this spring, hopefully along with CM II which would be a lot worse option than this fall.

I've done some basic ODE's that deal with RL/RC and soon RLC circuits in circuits I and Intro to E&M physics.

But I think taking Circuits II without ODE's would compare to taking CM I without ODE's since CM I will also use differential equations to solve for more complex systems.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

-Eddie

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're interested in taking Circuits II and haven't taken any differential equations yet, it would be best to take an ODE course before starting it. The Laplace and Fourier series are important concepts for understanding circuits, so having a basic knowledge of ODEs will help to ensure you get the most out of the course. Taking the ODE course this spring will give you a good foundation for the Circuits II course and will make the material more manageable. Good luck!

As an Electrical Engineer, taking Circuits II is a crucial step in building your knowledge and skills in the field. While it may seem daunting to take the class without having taken differential equations, it is important to remember that circuits and differential equations go hand in hand. In fact, many concepts in Circuits II will build upon the knowledge you gained in your previous circuits and physics courses, as well as in your upcoming ODE class.

If you are concerned about your readiness for the class, I would recommend speaking with your academic advisor or the professor teaching the course. They can provide you with more information about the specific topics covered in the class and help you determine if you have the necessary background knowledge to be successful.

Ultimately, it is up to you to decide if you feel prepared to take Circuits II in the fall. If you do decide to take it, I would recommend brushing up on your differential equations and reviewing any relevant material from previous courses. This will help you feel more confident and prepared for the class.

Good luck with your decision and your future courses! Remember, as an engineer, it is important to continuously challenge yourself and expand your knowledge and skills. Taking Circuits II in the fall may be a great opportunity to do just that.

1. Should I take Circuits II if I struggled in Circuits I?

It ultimately depends on why you struggled in Circuits I. If it was due to a lack of understanding of the material or difficulty grasping concepts, it may be beneficial to retake Circuits I before moving on to Circuits II. However, if your struggles were due to outside factors such as time management or personal issues, you may still be successful in Circuits II with proper preparation and dedication.

2. Is Circuits II a difficult course?

Circuits II can be challenging for some students, as it builds upon the concepts learned in Circuits I and introduces new material such as operational amplifiers and frequency analysis. However, with consistent studying and practice, it is manageable for most students.

3. What are the benefits of taking Circuits II?

Taking Circuits II can provide a deeper understanding of circuit analysis and design, as well as prepare students for more advanced courses in electrical engineering. It can also be useful for students pursuing careers in fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and computer engineering.

4. Do I need to have a strong math background to succeed in Circuits II?

A basic understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus is necessary for Circuits II. However, most schools offer resources such as tutoring and study groups to help students with math skills needed for the course. It is important to stay on top of math concepts throughout the course to be successful.

5. What are the typical topics covered in Circuits II?

Topics commonly covered in Circuits II include operational amplifiers, AC circuits, frequency analysis, filters, and basic circuit design. Some courses may also cover digital circuits and logic gates. It is best to check with your specific course syllabus for a detailed list of topics.